Beersmith question. How to duplicate recipe for small modifications?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danscraftbeer

Reaction score
How do I copy a keeper recipe for minor modifications?
If I've got a keeper recipe but cant clone it exactly with ingredients how do I record the second variation without altering the original recorded recipe. (clone) the recipe just so I can record the small modifications? Instead of visually copying every detail and filling it all out again which is a pita.
:question: I'm thinking its really simple but I just cant see it...
I see the Version box but I ,,,,,how's it work?? :doofus:

IMG_6177.JPG

You runnin the App or only desktop?

Is that an update? I have BS2 but there is no copy tab anywhere to be seen on my page.

Hey i got it. Just Save as (your good recipe #2) and modify that one etc pfff :rolleyes:

just living up to my philosophy below

I've got an iPhone and only access beersmith via the app, to the best of my knowledge the copy feature has always been there.
Only been 1x update to the app that I'm aware of and that was mainly ingredients.

Go to your recipe folder, select the recipe without opening it and then select 'copy to log' from the banner above. Then go to 'brew log' in your recipes and make mods to the copied recipe and it is just recorded in the brew log without altering the original recipe. Well that is how I understand it anyway: cant say I use it a lot.

Have u got a login? I use the copy function and it copies it to my cloud recipes.

I'm feeling a bit unupdated at the moment. Really slacking on that.
Re - This is the best way!
Open your chosen recipe
Save As chosen recipe#2 and so on etc.
KISS Theory :cool:

Last edited:
Simple yes, but you end up with endless versions of your recipe and then you need to remember which was the base recipe. The brew log is designed to record the little variations you make on a batch by batch basis, and to leave the parent recipe uncorrupted.

Same! The original recipe stays. That's the point. Followed by every following version #2, #3, and so on and on.
Remembering? Forget about it. Cant remember. Need to record, everything.

This way also keeps all the notes recorded on that recipe that's a very big bonus. I take lots of notes. You just need to check the notes to delete or add anything. Keeping to the original brew and never losing the original brew data.

i don't think thats how to copy a recipe

click on recipe, then edit

go down the bottom, save as copy.

clicking on copy up to the top just copies to cloud - which i don't think is what u want

i don't think thats how to copy a recipe

click on recipe, then edit

go down the bottom, save as copy.

clicking on copy up to the top just copies to cloud - which i don't think is what u want
Yup!

This way also keeps all the notes recorded on that recipe that's a very big bonus. I take lots of notes. You just need to check the notes to delete or add anything. Keeping to the original brew and never losing the original brew data.
Same! The original recipe stays. That's the point. Followed by every following version #2, #3, and so on and on.
Remembering? Forget about it. Cant remember. Need to record, everything.

Exactly how & why I do it. Keeps all info of each iteration of a recipe to refer back to down the track.

Back