Beersmith + Dropbox = Beersmith On Multiple Pcs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snipped from the website;

Can I use BeerSmith on more than One Computer?
Yes, we recently modified our use policy to allow a user to install a single key on up to TWO computers as long as both are for personal use, and both are owned by the licensee. For example, installation on a personal laptop and personal desktop using one key is OK. Sharing or giving the key to another person is strictly prohibited.

Excellent... will be configuring it tonight with drop box taking care of the datafile sync

I use Dropbox a LOT, and can't recommend it high enough.
Have all my Promash Recipe files saved to it and can then access them whether I'm on my Linux box, Mac, Doze VM, any web browser or iPhone/iPod Touch.

Doc

The beersmith key isn't limited to 2 computers.

I have installed it on 4 computers so far all using the same key.

Well, it isn't limited by technical means, just by license restrictions.

rob.

The beersmith key isn't limited to 2 computers.

I have installed it on 4 computers so far all using the same key.

Mate, you a f**kin' champion. Just installed it on a USB. Never thought to even check

Without some form of online activation it could potentially be installed as many times as you like. As leothrox stated the license agreement has been breached which is more of a goodwill thing ultimately.

I vote for dropbox as it's a good central accessible backup if anything goes wrong.

I recently tried to do this so that I could run beersmith from the USB stick but also to have a backup of my recipes by copying over the entire beersmith folder. However, not all my recipes are copied over, the last 40 are missing. I have searched for an answer, also on the beersmith site. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Had another go at this earlier this morning. I thought that perhaps I had 2 installations on my PC and was copying an old out of date one to my USB so decided to check this out.
The shortcut I always use points to C:/program files/beersmith/ - This is the same folder I copied to my USB stick.
When I look in this folder at recipe.bsm it has a last updated date of Nov 2008 but it seems to be my current file. The most recent auto backup file has a slightly earlier date.

Can anyone confirm that the last updated date on the recipe.bsm file should change each time you change a recipe?

Thanks

Had another go at this earlier this morning. I thought that perhaps I had 2 installations on my PC and was copying an old out of date one to my USB so decided to check this out.
The shortcut I always use points to C:/program files/beersmith/ - This is the same folder I copied to my USB stick.
When I look in this folder at recipe.bsm it has a last updated date of Nov 2008 but it seems to be my current file. The most recent auto backup file has a slightly earlier date.

Can anyone confirm that the last updated date on the recipe.bsm file should change each time you change a recipe?

Thanks
Ummm.... mine is dated 4/11/2003.

Thanks
I can confirm that the "modified" date in my Recipe.bsm file changes every time I change a recipe. Not sure what's going on with yours.....

Cheers - Snow

Thanks Snow. Think I might be best starting with a fresh installation on the USB stick and exporting/importing recipes etc accross. Although I have hard copies of my recipes I would really like to have a soft backup as well.

That i didnt know.

So if i own/use more than 2 computers i am legally required to by more than 1 license?

Yup. And the 1 license/2 PCs thing is for personal use as well, otherwise it's 1 license per PC.

It does however send your serial number if you attempt to auto-update it, so it is possible at some stage for them to send down a kill command or something.

But if you don't attempt to auto-update you're golden.

rob.

What about 1 licence per USB memory? Nice and portable too.

No idea. I suppose that it's only 'installed' on one PC at a time (i.e. wherever it's currently plugged in).

I was thinking of posting a similar post about Livesync which I've been using for some time, I basically muck around with my recipies at work in quite periods or type notes from the night before and when I go home and use the netbook in the brewery everything is up to date, it works wonderfully :)

I also found that it was best to install the trial version on the second PC then sync the folder - it will bring all the settings and licence with it from your other PC.

(I also found I could get it to work on a 3rd with no issues but that was just while transferring between old and new laptops)

Back