Beerenberg Caramelised Onion Relish

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
This stuff is absolutely delicious, bought a jar on friday and have been having it on just about everything.

cheers

Browndog

They make a mean tomato sauce too!

Good Adelaide Hills food!

I am a huge fan of the onion relish. Getting so I cant have a sandwich without it.

I find most of the beerenberg stuff pretty good, must be the name!

cheers

grant

If only they didn't put sultanas in their chutney >.<.

home chutney maker who sidled up to the conversation hoping to make friends shuffles feet, stares at the ground and wanders away.... :)

Aww come on Eggs, give us your low down on chutney making mate.

-BD

I have been using this recipe for my last few batches all my friends love it they keep bringing me empty bottles as hints.

1kg tomatoes peeled and quartered
500g onions chopped however you like it
Apple cider vinegar and malt vinegar equal parts enough to cover the tomatoes and onion in the pot
1/2 Table spoon on mustard and curry powder
250g Brown sugar

Cook sweat onions add tomatoes cover with vinegar cook for 5min add vinegar cook for 5 min added sugar and other dry ingredients cook till you reach you desired thickness.
Bottle and enjoy.

If you want to add some heat just add chillies at the same time as tomatoes to taste

Cheers Stu

Didn't have any in my local Woolies so picked up 'Always Fresh' caramelised onion relish. Probably not a wise move it is just way too sweet for my palate.

I made a fine onion relish a few years ago, it was nice and thick and dark and was brilliant on a ham and cheese sandwich. or anything, really.

sadly I don't have the recipe but it involved lots of onions, green apples, vinegar, brown sugar and a dash of cayenne pepper, all simmering away in a big pot on the stove for a few hours. No tomatoes in this one. I might have to have another go and see if I can wing it.

Back