• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Beerbelly Ss Hopscreen And Pickup Tube For Sale Or Trade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevc

Reaction score
I was a bit over-enthusiastic when ordering my AG gear, and have some items I really don't need. One of these is my Beerbelly SS hopscreen/pickup tube. The hopscreen works perfectly, and the construction/build quality is second to none. When I was first starting out, I was somehow under the impression a hopscreen was a required piece of equipment.

2857688741_1e8c33808b_o.jpg

I'd prefer a trade over cash. If the item you're offering for trade is worth more than the Hopscreen, I'm happy to contribute some cash and pay for postage to even things out. The hopscreen is currently $55 through Beerbelly, and I'm not sure how much the SS pickup tube is. I am currently looking for any of the following:

- A real mash paddle (still using Coopers spoon here, which surprisingly bends but does not break).
- Any parts required to build a bucket-o-death, a complete bucket-o-death, or any type of elements, etc. I need an HLT badly, as using propane to heat mash water is far too expensive
- A tap and weldless fittings
- US Northern Brewer hops

Cheers

Trev

Hey bro, not sure if youd be interested, but im pretty sure that www.haurakihomebrew.co.nz have some US northern brewer hops at the mo... Only very limited and only in pellets...

Edit : Or trade you 100g for all of the above :p lol

Thanks for the tip! I wonder if they ship stuff to QLD.

I could likely find somebody :) Sent off a quick email to the shop to see if they have them in stock. I've been wanting to brew an Anchor steam clone for a while, but haven't had much luck with the NB hops. I'm almost ready to just use Southern Cross instead, since I've read that can turn out quite nice.

I could likely find somebody :) Sent off a quick email to the shop to see if they have them in stock. I've been wanting to brew an Anchor steam clone for a while, but haven't had much luck with the NB hops. I'm almost ready to just use Southern Cross instead, since I've read that can turn out quite nice.

You are getting rid of a shiny piece of brewing equipment? i thought AG brewers collected them?

I gave mine a good polish on the weekend after 30 AGs and its comes up like new. :icon_chickcheers:

Why are you getting rid of it? Works a treat keeping all the trub/hops in the kettle.

Anyone using a plate chiller should have one of these. Keeps all the crap from getting into the plate chiller!

I guess I just don't need it, especially since I'm using hop pellets for almost every brew, and have no plans to buy any sort of chiller. At the end of the day it's just one more thing for me to clean. Cleaning is a big pain up here since I do everything in the bath-tub/shower. No yard, no hose... etc :) Shiny means nothing to me, the beer is everything.

Also, I didn't even know about whirl-pooling and how effective it was when I started in to AG!

Any of the items on my "want" list would be much more useful, especially any gear that can go towards an electric HLT of any description. With the windy conditions, I've averaged just over 2 brews out of one 4.5kg propane tank. Ouch.

Trev, if you can't end up swapping I might be interested in buying it from you. Just putting it out there.

Thanks Eric. I'll see what sort of interest there is, and will PM you if there's no trade offers after a few days.

Trev,

I have a PID temp controller with a 2m K type screw thermo lead.
This is excess to my needs, cant remember how much I paid but willing to cover costs of postage and any short fall if you are interested.

Model No. SYL - 1531
Range 0 - 2500F
Input K
No. 04122464

Let me know if this interests you.

Reg

Hey Reg... Sounds like a possibility for controlling an HLT. Do you have any additional specs or a photo? What sort of load can it handle?

I took these pics have a look
P1000278.JPG P1000279.JPG

P1000280.JPG P1000281.JPG

Let me know if it interests you.

I believe it can switch 7 amps.
If I was going to use it I would run a 10a (2400 watt) element through a relay anyway.

Thanks for the pics and info Reg, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I think the wiring required to make it useful might be a little out of my league. I'm probably better off keeping my bucket-o-death as simple as possible.

Thanks for the pics and info Reg, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I think the wiring required to make it useful might be a little out of my league. I'm probably better off keeping my bucket-o-death as simple as possible.

wiring those things are quiet easy.
just need a soldier iron

wiring those things are quiet easy.
just need a soldier iron

It is all screw terminals.
No Soldering required.
2 x alarm outputs

4 - 20mA

No worries Trev
Good luck with the trade.
If you cant get a trade and the other sale falls through let me know.
Cheers

The controller is tempting. I think I'm best off with a couple of kettle elements on separate circuits, two switches, and a handheld thermometer. Either that or one submersible heater, which is a safer option.

Thanks for uploading the pics. You're welcome to my beers if you're ever up this way.

I'm thinking of putting 2x2400W kettle elements in my 90L alu pot. I'll use it as an HLT, or bad-weather kettle :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Will do, and thanks again for uploading pics. You're welcome to dig in to my beers if you're up this way.

I'm tempted by the controller, but the practical side of me says it's not needed.
Mate you could have told me 2 weeks ago......
Flew up last monday and came home on Sat night.
Stayed at Alexander apartments on Thornton st

Ah well with two kids we will be back again

I've got a couple of kettle elements here - rated at 2400W each

Latest posts

Back