Beer Shops In Hobart / Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any members here that know of any good bottle shops in the Hobart area, or even Tasmania?

I moved here from Scotland about 5 years ago and I am still trying to taste all of the beers available :D

my local is the bws on davey street up south hobart way.

they stock an ok range i guess, but im still yet to find a really decent bottle shop in hobart that would be on par with vintage cellars or dan murphys

my local is the bws on davey street up south hobart way.

they stock an ok range i guess, but im still yet to find a really decent bottle shop in hobart that would be on par with vintage cellars or dan murphys

The 9-11 at the Gasworks has some imported beers but you need to check the BestBeforeDates. Prices are ok.
They had (note the word had!) some St.Matilda Reserve 2007 and Barking Duck in a fridge in the red wine section. Still to try these (have been on-call for the last week).

do you mean matilda bay grayston reserve?

i say that as you also listed barking duck, which is a matilda bay beer...

the grayston reserve is great. had a lot of it at the last hopsters meeting. also had the alpha pale ale, which was fantastic.

never tried the barking duck (hell, i dont think i've ever tried a saison in general!)

...not sure where I got "St." from !
Yeup, Matilda Bay,Graystone Reserve

Had a dog bolter and a Bohemian last night (my only two beers, sob sob, was driving) and they were both nice.

I have been only once to that bottle shop, will take a drive around during the week and investigate.

I think from memory that the gasworks 9-11 has a better selection. (Hefes, UK beers, Lambic, Duvel, Indian beers, Belgium).
DAMM I am getting thirsty. At work just now and ironically there two of my coffee porters lying in the fridge. I brought them in for a work mate and he forgot to take them home on Friday. They are looking very good just now!

cool, will have to go check it out myself at some point. dont really travel too far from home as i dont have a car :(

sigh, such is the life of a poor uni student :p

cool, will have to go check it out myself at some point. dont really travel too far from home as i dont have a car :(

sigh, such is the life of a poor uni student :p

Are you aware of the Telegraph hotel on a Wednesday night - cheap beers. All jugs $5 at 5pm, $6 at pm etc.
Got Beez Knees, James Squire, Hoegardten and a few others.

Are you aware of the Telegraph hotel on a Wednesday night - cheap beers. All jugs $5 at 5pm, $6 at pm etc.
Got Beez Knees, James Squire, Hoegardten and a few others.

really :blink:

dont they also have leffe blonde on tap there? havent been there in quite a while now.

surely they wouldnt have all beers for those prices... sounds nearly too good to be true...

really :blink:

dont they also have leffe blonde on tap there? havent been there in quite a while now.

surely they wouldnt have all beers for those prices... sounds nearly too good to be true...

Yeup. ALL beers on tap are that price. Like heaven. I work 100m away from the pub. Not too sure how they can make a profit but it has been running for about two months now. Worthwhile to get there about 4 or 4.30 and get settled prior to the masses arriving.

Yep, the BWS on Davey St was/is one of the better ones for better import beers. They usually have a good selection but I think it has kind of dropped off of late, or maybe I've just tried most of them now and looking for something new and interesting. Gasworks too but I haven't found many other bottlo's that have had much of a selection.

HOWEVER, last time I went into BWS Davey they had moved their import beer section to a new location....right as you walk in to the left at the entrance of the roller door. Take not of this, if you walk into the bottle shop on a nice sunny afternoon you can see the late afternoon sun from about 3pm onwards blasting the crap out of all the import beers right until sundown. They sit behind clear glass fridge doors and cop full sun every afternoon that the suns out. Don't know about you but I wont be buying any more beers at $5-6 a stubbie that have baked in the sun for who knows how long.

If your up to it please mention it to the staff and maybe we will get it changed. I have mentioned it and will again, don't know if it will make any difference but worth noting.

Best of luck. Justin

Yep, the BWS on Davey St was/is one of the better ones for better import beers. They usually have a good selection but I think it has kind of dropped off of late, or maybe I've just tried most of them now and looking for something new and interesting. Gasworks too but I haven't found many other bottlo's that have had much of a selection.

HOWEVER, last time I went into BWS Davey they had moved their import beer section to a new location....right as you walk in to the left at the entrance of the roller door. Take not of this, if you walk into the bottle shop on a nice sunny afternoon you can see the late afternoon sun from about 3pm onwards blasting the crap out of all the import beers right until sundown. They sit behind clear glass fridge doors and cop full sun every afternoon that the suns out. Don't know about you but I wont be buying any more beers at $5-6 a stubbie that have baked in the sun for who knows how long.

If your up to it please mention it to the staff and maybe we will get it changed. I have mentioned it and will again, don't know if it will make any difference but worth noting.

Best of luck. Justin

Ah, the dreaded skunking. Will go up anyway and have a look. If there are 'senior' staff around I might mention it to them.

...the quest continues... :beerbang:

Was in at the Davet St BWS today and noticed exactly that Justin. Went to the old location to find new fridges with cheap arse pre-mixed drinks and a fridge of cider! Didn't buy any nice beers because of the new location, but bought the brother-in-law a nice Margaret River red for his Birthday. Was going to get him a couple of nice beers.

Not really much of a choice in and around Hobart - another good excuse to brew your own :D

This is the list of imported beers I can buy through my wholesaler, minimum is a carton. If there is something you really want I can get a price and availability, caps are from the suppliers catalogue not me.

ACE PILSENER BEER CAN 355ML
AMSTEL PREM LGR BTL 330ML
ASAHI SUPER DRY BTL 330ML
BECKS BEER BTL 330ML
BECKS BEER BTL 18PK 330ML
BECKS BEER BTL 6PK+GLASS 330ML
BINTANG BEER BTL 330ML
BODDINGTON ALE CAN 440ML
BRAHMA BEER BTL 355ML
BUDWEISER BEER BTL 355ML
CABANA CERVEZA BEER BTL 355ML
CARLSBERG BEER BOTTLE 330ML
CHANG BEER BTL 330ML
CHIMAY BLUECAP TRAPP BTL 330ML
CHIMAY GRANDE RES BLU 750ML
CHIMAY RED BELGIAN 7% 330ML
CHIMAY WHT BELGIAN 8% 330ML
CORONA MEXICAN BTL 330ML
DUVEL 8.5% SINGLE BTL 750ML
DUVEL BELGIAN BTL 330ML
FOSTERS LAGER BTL 355ML
GROLSCH LGR BTL 330ML
GROLSCH LGR S/TOP BTL 473ML
GUINNESS DRGHT SURGE CAN 375ML
HEINEKEN LAGER BTL 6PK 330ML
HEINEKEN LAGER BTL 18PK 330ML
HEINEKEN LAGER CAN 500ML
HEINEKEN LAGER DAVID KEG 20L
HEINEKEN MINI DRAFT KEG 5L
HOEGAARDEN BEER BELG BTL 330ML
HOLSTEN PREM BEER BTL 330ML
KILKENNY DRAUGHT ALE CAN 330ML
KIRIN JAPANESE BTL 330ML
KOZEL PREMIUM LAGER BTL 500ML
KRONENBOURG BTL 330ML
KWAK BELGIAN BEER BTL 330ML
LABATTS BLUE BTL 355ML
LOWENBRAU BTL 330ML
MICHELOB ULTRA BEER BTL 355ML
MILLER GEN DRAFT BTL 355ML
MORETTI ITALIAN BEER BTL 330ML
NEWCASTLE BROWN ALE BTL 330ML
ORVAL TRAPPIST BELG BTL 330ML
PERONI NASTRO AZZURO BTL 330ML
PILSENER URQ BTL 330ML
RED STRIPE LAGER BTL 355ML
SAMUEL ADAMS LAGER BTL 355ML
SHANGHAI BEER BTL 330ML
SINGHA THAI BEER BTL 330ML
STEINLAGER BTL 330ML
STELLA ARTOIS BTL 330ML
TAJ MAHAL PREM LAGER 330ML
TIGER BEER BTL 330ML
TIGER BEER BTL 640ML
TRIPEL KARMELIET BELGIUM 330ML
TSING TAO LAGER BTL 330ML
WARSTEINER BTL 330ML
WARSTEINER KEG 5L

And the locals that are not megaswill:
GAGE RDS IND PALE ALE 330ML
GAGE RDS LONDON BEST BTL 330ML
GAGE RDS PURE MLT LGR BT 330ML
KNAPPSTEIN RES LGR BTL 330ML
MILDURA HNY WHT BEER BTL 330ML
MILDURA MAL/BULL BEER BTL330ML
MILDURA PREM LAGER BTL 330ML
MILDURA STORM CLOUDY BTL 330ML
ST ARNOU PILSNER BTL 330ML
ST ARNOU PREM BLONDE BTL 330ML

man, all this talk about our two "best" bottle shops is depressing :(

other than those already mentioned, there really isnt much decent beer to be found. you might find some good domestic stuff at the shore line or beltana (closest to me so i' mention it).

as for the new import spot at bws, next time im in i will certainly ask about it. its very disappointing whatever the reason. its dropped my enthusiasm for going already, so it might be a while.
the telegraph special does sound nice, wednesday nights though?? thats tough.

So does this mean were going to have a Hobart meet to organise something more regular???

Justin you will need to catch the bus down :unsure: or i can drive up and collect you!.. :beer:

Can't be to hard to drop in for a quick froth and a quicker HI! :beerbang:

lol, not exactly a long walk to the telly. i walk to and from town/salamanca quite regularly anyways.

cheers for the offer though! will see what happens. need to get some more people keen. i still cant quite get over $5 juggs of decent beer!

Listen all you BIG BERLEY beer drinkun DUDES (in hobart), how about cutting the aprin strings, and saying "i'm going for a beer with my AHB acquaintance's, i'll only be gone for one, maybe two beers.....be home soon"...

no excuses, lets do it or i'm going to dis-own you all and head to Squires' in Queensland for the Xmas swap and tell all the guys up there how pathetic us Tasmanians are !.....

NO EXCUSES!...just Do it! tick

Daz

ok, thats enough! no one is gonna call my manhood into question 'roud here :angry:

whats the use of banking all these sick days at work if im not gonna use em? any time im not on call...

...or babysitting...

...or the wife is going to one of her girlfriends...

...or going to the inlaws for dinner...

...or studying for an exam...

im there! :beerbang:
so just a little notice would be helpful ;)

hmm. no wonder i homebrew, i never get out for a beer.

tell me when and where and I'll try and be there. work permitting.

I work in New Town and can usually flex off early, although we are flat out at the moment so I am putting in some long days.

Latest posts

Back