Beer Racking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) could be scare tactics but i was trying to buy a 2nd fermenter for racking and he was trying to dissuade me, not good for his sales....also he is the LHBS guy, you kinda hope he is going to know his stuff, for the record i bought the fermenter anyhow but put on a 2nd brew.

2) I don't really know how liquids mix, but i do know that gravity pulls heavier matter downward so if the sugar/water mix is at saturation point the heavier matter will go downward eg; if bottling it would mean that the last bottles would be light on sugar and 2nd fermentation would be less effective. I understand this is not an issue for kegging.

...so... I'm guessing it was a Brewcraft shop then, huh? ;)

Clearing the sales-guy has no f***ing idea - When you mix the disolved dextrose with your beer in secondary, it COMPLETELY mixes.
If it were to somehow sink to the bottom due to some mystical gravitational effect, then wouldn't all the dissolved sugars in your brew sink to the bottom as well?
Once it's mixed, it stays mixed - and then the little yeasty buggers go to work on it.

It never ceases to amaze me how much disinformation *some* HBS staff seem to dream up :angry:

Umm no not Brewcraft, the dissolved sugars argument was mine not his he just said imbalanced.. (like i said i don't know anything about liquid mixing) i thought the yeast ate the dissolved sugars....

Does this take all the yeast out as well and make it difficult to bottle-carb up??

If we are talking just a few days up to a week or so until bottling, there will be enough live yeast cells to breed up in the bottle to carb the beer. Can take up to a month to reach full carbonation as opposed to, say, a week when bottling a fairly yeasty brew from primary, but if you are going to keep your beer for at least a month before drinking I have never had a problem.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will just stick to using the Second Fermenter for Bulk Priming for this batch and see how I get on. I get the hint that there is no point Racking just for the sake of it and, since I'm doing an English Bitter and using Safale S-04, there really isn't too much to worry from keeping it in Primary for a couple of weeks, that Yeast Cake is rock solid.

I don't want to add anything I don't need to to my beer, so no gelatine or finings etc for me.

re: the debate about the 'mixed-inness' of the Dextrose solution for Bulk Priming.
Through the mists of time I'm remembering science lessons and am thinking that thanks to the wonders of Convection and Brownian Motion, things should mix up perfectly without much assistance, unless I put Oil in my Bulk Prime mix lol.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. Looking forward to getting this one in the bottle and down the hatch, cheers :beer:

If you are racking in order to bulk prime I would suggest you rack, bulk prime and bottle in one hit - half an hour and your'e done.

Agreed. Fermentation starts up pretty quick in these warm months. Give the brew some food (sugar) and you are fermenting all over again.

2) When bulk priming how do you ensure that there is an even distribution of the sugar through the brew, i wonder if the sugar mix doesn't sink.

If your LHBS dude reckons the above is true he is on the gear! :D

My LHBS advocate bulk priming. If your LHBS dude doesn't understand that dissolved sugar syrup in the bottom of a bottling bucket with a racking tube "whirlpooling" the brew gently over it then he needs a demo maybe?

I have bulk primed maybe my last 15-20 brews and never had a problem and I would never go back to hand priming each bottle.

Well no need for me to bulk prime yet as i have a couple of bags of candy to drop into the bottles, when that runs out i may give it a go.
One of my mates reckons the carb tabs are too sweet he did a half carbs half sugar bottling batch with the carb tabs apparently much sweeter than the sugar....

Anyone got opinion on this?

I tend to give my beer a good stir once I have added the sugar solution during bulk priming, just to make sure it is mixed evenly thoughout the fermenter. Nothing wrong with giving it a few more stirs during the bottling - as long as hands, spoon etc are sanitised...

flattop - typical response on sweetness or change in taste from carb drops in negligable compared with the flavour of the beer itself.

I have only ever racked my beers so cant expand further...

i only rack when I want to lager (cold condition) a brew for 4-6 weeks:

1) to get it off the yeast cake
2) to fit it into the bar fridge I use for this purpose.

I never rack my ales - don't see the need - although if I was bulk priming I probably would.

Brendo

Guys,
When I first started work in a processing factory years ago one of my first jobs was to transfer pure Hydrogen Peroxide from a 100 litre supply vessel into small buckets that we could tip into the process line. Yeh, we used to rack it through a plastic tube, just like homebrewers do with beer. A single drop of this stuff would burn through your skin in 10 seconds flat, and put a hole through your clothes even faster than that. We had to be good, damn good, or we burnt holes in things, like our fingers!

If you're not racking your beer without splashing or losing a single drop then lift your game!
Start the flow of gently by keeping the fermenter low near the receiving bucket and only use gravity to speed the flow
once you have it all under control and the outlet well covered. Tipping the bucket to make the pool deeper faster helps too.
Good racking is an art that all brewers should learn.

The carb tabs are OK for getting started but once you see how easy bulk priming is you will never go back to the drops.

If you consider that a 4% brew ferments out in, say 5 days, for an ale at 20 deg C, then the 0.2% of carbonation should take 1/20th of this time, being 1/20th of the sugar, so the conclusion is 6 hours. Just rough mind you, but gives you an idea that leaving a primed bucket overnight is probably a bad idea ( contamination issues aside )

Buy a second fermenter for bottling, you can use it as a fermenter OR a bottling bucket. I skimped the extra $ and bought just a bottling bucket, wish I had a fermenter now.

You need to rack BEFORE the primary fermentation ceases. In his book Palmer says to rack when bubbling through the airlock reduces to between 1 and 4 bubbles per minute. Do NOT wait until airlock bubbling ceases to rack to secondary.
My last batch was bubbling nicely at 12 bubbles per minute; then one one day dropped to 6 per minute, next day racked, day AFTER racking still bubbling at e bubble per minute through the airlock. This way the headspace in your secondary gets filled with CO2; and can now sit safely under the airlock for as long as you want.

Of course you need a very good seal to measure the bubbling rate this way. Choosing the time to rack is a judgement skill that can be learned like any other brewing skill, I did.

Having said that, the chances of the surface of the undisturbed brew absorbing enough oxygen to spoil the entire batch is very low, but contamination of the secondary could be a greater concern, hence the desire for a CO2 blanket.

Thanks Robbo.
Clear and concise, i did pay the extra for a 2nd fermenter but put on a 2nd brew instead of racking, as my brews are week about i will consider a 3rd for racking every week.
Bulk priming looks like it's the go....

Latest posts

Back