Beer In Bali

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who would have thought that humble Bintang would cause such stir.

Can you still get San Miguel over there??

you can get heaps of diffent beers in the supermarket.
san miguel was probably one of them.
I did see cartons of corona...though they were a bit pricey.

I just followed the conga line of aussie pissheads to the Bintang section.

Buying by the case Bintang Large 16 X 620ml = 270,000 Rp approx $30 which is what I pay in Oz. Forgot there is 2 litres more in the Bintang case!
Too many Bintangs!

I just went to G-Land and stayed at Bobby's surf camp.

Me and my mate got a superior hut which gets you air con ,fridge, all food and 8 beers per day.
We were there for 6 days.
At the end we owed 400,000.00 rupiah in extra bintangs.

It is a pilsner which I found kinda weird ..especially being so hot over there and pilseners are normally brewed quite cool I thought.
I went to Fiji the year before and Fiji Bitter is rubbish compared to Bintang.
It tasted different from beer to beer.

I reckon on average I had 10 bintangs a day for 3 weeks straight.
high five! :icon_cheers:

Get any good waves at G Land??? What am I saying!?!?!.......... I am jealous you *******.

We just got back from Bali last week. Perfect weather for the two weeks so that meant perfect time for Bintang! If its hot, its Bintang time. I wouldnt even bother drinking it here but for me its a must while in Bali, everyone stocks it, walk through the markets and they have little fridges stocked with water and Bintang, perfect! Also tried a Golden ale and a stout whilst there, not too bad but they dont stock it everywhere so just tried them once.
Oh and i nearly forgot, get a foot massage late at night and what do they offer you? Bintang. Ah wish i was still there.

Personally i think Bintang is a pretty good beer in the warm, humid weather of Bali. I also rate the Storm beers and was stoked to find them on a recent short trip to the island. Over in Timor we get Bintang and Bali Hai which suit the climate well too but luckily we also get a good selection of the Aussie brews like Coopers, James Squire and the regular culprits i dont care to mention here.

Good-Nick
My World of Beer
http://myworldofbeer.net

Got back from Bali yesterday and didn't have many Bintangs due to club med only stocking Bali-Hai which I thought was also reasonable but, try as I might, found it very difficult to get drunk on the stuff.

Bintang suits Bali perfectly and I couldn't believe when I read it had even won an award for "Champion smallpack Lager" (whatever that is) in the recent 2011 Brewing industry international awards (thanks to B&B mag).

Enjoy it while you are there. There's some sort of Universal Principle going on here. For example last time I was in Italy it was around 38 degrees for a couple of weeks and we were camping South of Rome at the beach. I was drinking Birra Dreher supermarket variety at around a couple of dollars a 660 ml and it was the thirst quenching nectar of the Gods. In Turkey in the Summer, Efes Pilsen was pure liquid crack - the creme de la creme of beer. In the Sinai desert in 40 degree heat I sank countless gallons of delicious sustaining Bira Goldstar. I can still taste and feel the waves of pure beer relief washing over me. :)

So now I go to Dan's and get a six of Efes or an Italian job and it's Meh. <_<

Time and place
Time and place

Bali Storm, Bali Hai and Bintang. In that order. You can find a bigger range in the mini-marts. A couple of the ones I tried were among the worst beers I've ever had, but that was half the fun.

Up in Ubud, north of Kuta. Theres a Bintang Supermarket. The choice of beers there was good. Quite a varied variety. But the conditions defenitaley add to the beer. Hot/humid a bintang is nice. My Swmbo doesnt drink beer, but in that weather she happily drank a bintang with breakfast, lunch and dinner...

San Miguel pilsner is a nice alternative, think it has a little more flavour. But either or, a nice Pilsner in hot weather always does the trick.

Any changes in recent times to the craft beer variability in Bali? Anyone been recently?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Any changes in recent times to the craft beer variability in Bali? Anyone been recently?
Was there early last year.

Bintang is not too bad, especially for the weather. It's made by Heinekin.

Storm is your go to for craft beer. I tried all their beers, they were decent.

Cool, sounds like not much change over the past few years then which is OK, happy to try the Storm stuff. I smashed Bintang last time I was there (~3-4 years ago) and will certainly be smashing it again lol.

Are the Storm beers at most of the Circle K convenience stores?

I'm prepared to hunt.

predator.jpg

You can get a hefe and a dunkle in Ubud. In a cafe / restaurant called Lotus. I cant remember the brand, but it was good. Weather was a *bit* cooler so a change from Bintang was appreciated.

Edit - I was there in 2011

I also heard Storm beer was closed down over some legal issue. I'm on my phone, so not going to google it, but you should if youre really keen on getting it as it may not exist anymore! I have an expat mate who told me it was goneski.

mckenry said:
You can get a hefe and a dunkle in Ubud. In a cafe / restaurant called Lotus. I cant remember the brand, but it was good. Weather was a *bit* cooler so a change from Bintang was appreciated.

Edit - I was there in 2011
Brewery is called Stark. I preferd the dunkel myself, but both were quite drinkable.

Back