Beer In Bali

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benno1973

Beer Idiot
Reaction score
We're on a family holiday in Bali, and I was prepared for the worst, having been told that Bintang and Bali Hai were the only beers available (aside from dire imports like Corona and Heinekin). Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find Storm beers, a local microbrewery, which make more than bland pilsner style beers. And while not amazing, they're pretty good and well past the Bintang and Bali Hai beers. And at about AUD$1.50-2 a bottle, it's pretty good value too.

There's a Pale Ale, Summer style ale, Amber ale, stout, and apparently others. All tasty with some nice hops and malt.

Anyone else tried them?

Yeah I had the Golden ale "sand storm". Wasn't bad at all, decent malt, lacking in hops but a decent English flavour. I could only find this one by them. They also had the foreign extra stout, but its so hot over there, I could myself drinking a few bali hai's.

Also just noticed they'll deliver a cold slab to you anywhere in south bali. :kooi:

I'm a bit of a fan of the Indo Lagers! Probably has more to do with the price, the scenery and the heat though.

Sitting above the Bukit Penisula cliffs at sunset with an ice cold Bali Hai - couldn't think of a better beer for the occasion!

Personally I like to drink Bintang by the truck load when I am in Bali, but I certainly think Storm Beer is a good quality drop and a nice change from Bintang/Bali Hia. I found the Pale Ale a bit too full on to have more than a few but I rate the Golden Ale quite highly.

No offense to Bintang - its a bland lager that perfectly suits the heat and humidity of Bali. And I'm quite happy to drink it by the truckload by the pool, especially when it's $1.50 for a 660ml bottle. It's just nice to have some choice of a tasty ale occasionally, especially after a long day with the kids when the first beer after they're in bed needs to be something special!

Yeah, I hear you mate. Although my first daily beer while on holiday is generally closer to breakfast than dinner :icon_cheers:

Bintang T-shirts are far more popular than the beer

Noticed at CircleK two wheat beers a light and dark called "Stark". Haven't tried them yet. I have
my first Chappo Ginger Beer on the go at the moment fizzing away with bread yeast. Hope its not :icon_vomit:
Ginger is $2.50/kg here in Bali.

Nearly every person in WA has one of those Bintang tee shirts, boardshorts or whatever .. I really dont see the draw of Bali when you have so many other awesome places to go ... But I guess for a weeks holiday for less than AU$1500 for 4 its attractive ... but so is Thailand, Phillipines or Fiji !!!

Bintabg gold was the only beer I found over there to be palatable ... but a AU$10 slab of 30 cans of Hainiken in Langkowi ... that is also very attractive .... as was the $10 bottles of smirnoff !!!

Nearly every person in WA has one of those Bintang tee shirts, boardshorts or whatever .. I really dont see the draw of Bali when you have so many other awesome places to go ... But I guess for a weeks holiday for less than AU$1500 for 4 its attractive ... but so is Thailand, Phillipines or Fiji !!!

Totally agree. I've never been before and never had a desire. But after checking the prices, it costs less to go to Bali for 2 weeks than Margaret River, and takes around about the same time to get there. And with 2 kids, the travel time is definitely a consideration! When the kids are older, we'd rather go to Vietnam or somewhere like that, but when the littlest is only just 2, it's just easier to take them to somewhere close to experience a different culture.

Been a couple of times. In terms of value for money it is hard to beat. Last time we stayed in Semanyak in a self contained villa with it's own pool. The food is generally good and relatively inexpensive. Beerwise it is a bit of a wasteland. The lagers are cheap and suit the climate, the Storm beers were OK but harder to find. A colleague and I made the trek from our digs to a place that was advertising itself as a Belgian style pub. Well the the menu was a bit Belgian but beerwise it was Hoegarden in bottles. They did have a fish tank in the roof however. Thailand was much better for beer. Chimay and Leffe in the fridge at the mini-mart next to our hotel in Phuket.

Bali is what it is. Bintang, and not much else. When you are drinking cold stubbies in the sun for next to nothing, who can complain?

Beer prices are similar to oz...they whacked up the tax a few years ago...
Wine is killer. But everything else is peanuts of course. Eg my rent is $60 a month.

Wine is killer. But everything else is peanuts of course. Eg my rent is $60 a month.

Really?? I was there this time last year. Only $1 - $1.50 AU for a 660mL depending where you were.

Really?! A beer in a pub over here costs me $1.50-2. Back in Perth it's $9-10! That's a huge difference in my opinion!

I literally just got home...a week ago.

The Bintang supermarket in Seminyak has cans of bintang ( mo-ped fuel ) for about 1.20 a can.
I didn't bother buying any other brand....no point.

Even in the bars they were heaps cheaper than here. ( Syd )

I got a few large bintangs in a supermarket out of town and they were even cheaper again.

terima kasih

When I was there last year I smashed down a good number of nice cold bintangs each day. I don't think I came across a place that was advertising anything else. It was cheap, cold and perfect to quench the thirst. Hopefully will be going back sometime next year as it's far cheaper to go there and live in relative luxury compared to spending any time in Aus with middle of the road accom.

In the little corner market there was a range of international beers, but didn't look like there was a large turnover of them and dread to think what they might taste like after being in the heat for so long. Guinness, Weihestephaner, Grolsch and some others.

I just went to G-Land and stayed at Bobby's surf camp.

Me and my mate got a superior hut which gets you air con ,fridge, all food and 8 beers per day.
We were there for 6 days.
At the end we owed 400,000.00 rupiah in extra bintangs.

It is a pilsner which I found kinda weird ..especially being so hot over there and pilseners are normally brewed quite cool I thought.
I went to Fiji the year before and Fiji Bitter is rubbish compared to Bintang.
It tasted different from beer to beer.

I reckon on average I had 10 bintangs a day for 3 weeks straight.
high five! :icon_cheers:

Who would have thought that humble Bintang would cause such stir.

Can you still get San Miguel over there??

Back