Beer Glasses In Dishwaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
I am thinking of giving all my beer glasses a good run in the dishwasher and I was wondering what I should use inplace of the soap?

I was thinking bicarb of soda and white vinegar?

Anyone else do this?

:beer:

(Prepares to be shot down in flames...)

I do it all the time using just aldi brand dishwasher powder. Never had a problem with head reduction.
Bicarb and vinegar would probably work, but I would be careful since the vinegar could contain acetobacter. That probably wouldn't matter since you're drinking it straight away anyhow.

:beer:

I've tried separate runs with products like 'Clear as Ice' in the dishwasher and regular dishwasher powder like Finish. IMO there is no difference. There is no problem with head retention, etc. I reckon the whole myth belongs with others like Cinderella.

Cheers.

Perhaps slugger was thinking back to this old thread Link here

It really does work,just do it on one of your glasses and see the difference.
Just make sure you put them away before midnight :lol:

Batz

I just put mine in with the normal dishes and normal dishwasher powder....I just make sure I rinse them with hot water after they are done...Not problems at all.
Cheers
Steve

We have the two drawer F&P dishwasher. The bottom drawer is reserved for beer glasses. I use PSR (Pink Stain) for the detergent. Cleanest glasses and dishwasher.

Beers,
Doc

1 tbs Ortho Phos does the job well for me......

Cheers
JSB

mine occasionaly get a soaking in bi-carb and a dash of white vinegar in very hot water which brings them up sparkling as, rinse in hot after that and air dry.

just a rinse in hot after use keeps them clean.

OK thanks, I decided to give it a go as I mentioned above, will know the results a little later when I have a drink.

As long as there's finish rinse aid still showing in the reservoir window then the glasses go in with the rest - but I do avoid adding the beer glasses if a greasy set of plates (eg roast dinner, lamb shanks etc) are in the machine.

Head retention etc would only be an issue, IMHO, if too much dishwashing powder was used and you ended up with a white film on the glass and other items that go into the dishwasher.

Cheers,
TL

i wash mine with hot water when the glass is fresh and pink stain remover if ive left it with beer in it overnight. and then make sure i give them a good rinse afterwards. Using normal detergent on beer glasses leaves a small film on the glass and stops the head sticking to the glasses leaving the nice tiger stripe effect, almost as sinful as half pulling a tap to cheat a good head. In pubs they use a white liquid detergent or no detergent and high temps and wash them with pink stain remover once a week.

im sure if anyone was keen they could source the detergent from a supplier. Comes in 25L containers if i remember correctly which could obviously be recycled to suit out needs.

I just use normal finish dishwashing tablets as the detergent part, and add white vinegar as the rinse-aid.

Fan-bloody-tastic results! :)

The results are in.

Awesome, totally clean glasses with no bubbles (from dirt) and a streaky head to the end of the glass.

Will be doing this from now on with bicarb and vinegar in the dishwasher.

Just stick em the dishwasher with everything else, rinse with cold water B4 use or not, never had a problem with head retention etc. Its most likely a problem when there is still a film of soap on the glass.

I had a pewter mug with wooden bits on the handle and base that my flat mate put in to the dishwasher. The type of soap didn't realy enter my mind when I saw what came out.

Anyone have a pic of "PSR - Pink Stain Remover"? I can't find it at my local supermarkets. Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for...

Anyone have a pic of "PSR - Pink Stain Remover"? I can't find it at my local supermarkets. Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for...

Try your HBS instead. LHBS has it in baggies. Hard to miss the pink powder.

This was linked to from another post.

I used to muck around with hand washing glasses in hot water. For the last 6 months I've just been putting them in the dishwasher with everything else, as does mikem and Trough Lolly. No problems at all.

If there is something really greasy in the washer I'll save them for the next load, or the other drawer.

regards
Scott

Latest posts

Back