Beer Glass Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJ

Reaction score
Ok guys and gals, WTF do you use to clean your beloved beer glasses?? I have tried bicardonate of soda, it does get them sparkeling clean but, no lace and head retension aint that good, I do AG and never had this problem when the glasses where new, havent changed my recipes of brewing style for a few years so lets hear it, what do you wash your glasses with :icon_cheers:

Hot water and with rubber glove on gets them squeeky clean.. I have used bi-carb and table salt with success.. Though you must rinse with hot water..

most of the time, just hot water. If I get them really greasy, like from food, I might use lemon juice or white vinegar, scrubbed out with a absorbant paper towel (wet with lemon/vinegar), then rinse thoroughly.....to me, this works the best imho. Cuts through grease, safe to use and non toxic.
Have used windex in the past (must have been drunk at the time), got them squeaky clean but as with any chemicals, needed a totaly thorough, super duper rinse. Worked, though...but probably wouldn't reccomend it....toxicity and all that.

Try giving the bottom of the glass a light sand...

Cheers

Robbo

Wash you glasses in water with a bit of bi-carb soda dissolved in it
Now rinse in clean water with a dash of vinegar in it
rinse under a running tap and let them air dry

Don't knock it till you try it

I don't do this often enough,but it worth the effort,especially when impressing guests.

Check-out this old thread from 2004 http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...&hl=glasses

Batz

Wash you glasses in water with a bit of bi-carb soda dissolved in it
Now rinse in clean water with a dash of vinegar in it
rinse under a running tap and let them air dry

Don't knock it till you try it

I don't do this often enough,but it worth the effort,especially when impressing guests.

Batz

+1 here - works a treat.

I usually do a weekly glass cleaning routine and it doesn't take too long

cliffo

Same as Sunshine_Brewer. Normal detergent and a good rinse with cold water. Dry the outside of the glass and let the inside air dry.

Take the challenge guys,try a glass your way and one with the above method.
Your got nothing to loose.

Batz

Take the challenge guys,try a glass your way and one with the above method.
Your got nothing to loose.

Batz

Think this is a job for the side by side test....will do.

Now just have to go and dirty a few glasses :icon_cheers:

Think this is a job for the side by side test....will do.

Now just have to go and dirty a few glasses :icon_cheers:

As I said in the other thread,great excuse to have two glasses of beer in front of you.Just doing an experiment honey :icon_cheers:

Batz

I clean my glasses in the dishwasher, no head retention problems what so ever. everyone says this is the worst thing you can do for glasses, will kill your head, etc etc. dishwasher, with those powerball tablets with rinse aid and all my beers pour with perfect head. hell, it takes a good pour to keep from pouring with too much head on some beers (stout is the main offender)

every now and again i'll give them a soak in sodium percarbonate, great for when they get greasy.

problem i have is that i inherited a heap of 10oz glasses from the tavern that the missus works at.

problem being is they are on bore water, and they are all stained yellow, and i cant for the life of me get them clean.

i made a thread on this a while back, but so far nothing has worked.

I seem to recall someone recommending a bit of coarse salt rubbed around the glass and then rinsed in hot water.

I might have imagined it though.

A good squirt of concentrated dishwashing liquid like Blast or Aldi TANDIL, then a really good scrub out with a stainless steel pad (won't scratch them) and several washes out.

From a few hours ago:

Yorkie.JPG

must try the bi-carb and vinegar sounds like a winner by all reports.

I'm normally lazy and put the glasses in the dishwasher - no rinse aid in the dishwasher though

really shouldn't matter if you use detergent as long as you rinse well though

Back