Beer Flies

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much beer do you need to be brewing, and how messy do you need to be, to attract them? I havent had any fruit flies yet, but im only brewing 1-2 batches a month.

Surely if you keep your brewery clean and dry youll be ok?

They can smell alcohol from 15 miles away. If you have a garden and a compost bin you will probably have fruit flies somewhere. If you ever drink outside they will invite themselves around. As long as you can keep them out of unfinished beer you'll be ok though.

They can smell alcohol from 15 miles away.

does this also to some degree explain the swarms of mozzies now infesting richmond hill... more accuratly my bloody back yard.. the little shites are attracted to co2 yeah? every time I go into the backyard after work lately its like a time trial.. did you know it's only the females that bite you.. hmmmm

:huh:

Good to see another successful fruit fly extermination. Those buggers gave me hell for years!

I'm no hippie (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I'm honestly starting to believe that there is a simple and organic solution to most pest problems.

Snails/Slugs in garden - beer traps
Caterpillars in tomatoes - Garlic and vinegar spray
Those small german cockroaches - sticky paper traps
Fruit flys - cider vinegar.

All these problems I first tried with chemicals to no avail, except for the tomatoes as I don't like the idea of spraying my food with insecticide!
true that barney, at work now we use a rosemary and cedarwood cream as a fly/mozzie repellant, same story it being all natural, the buggers hate the stuff and its easy on the nose too. beats rid and aeroguard hands down everytime.

Latest posts

Back