Beer Finnings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fasty73

Reaction score
At what stage do I add the beer finnings? 1 or 2 days before i want to bottle???

I have already bottled 2 batches of beer and haven't tatsed them yet but I have noticed that my bottled beer has sediment and I don't want that. I like to drink every last drop of my beer. Not that I have have any of my home brew to drink yet. Only bottled my first batch 1 week ago.

If you want beer without sediment, pour the bottle into another vessel and top up your glass with that. Or buy kegging gear.

Bottle conditioned beer contains sediment. Using finings will only reduce the sediment in the bottle, not rid it of it.

Finings won't stop sediment. 2 days before bottling will work but there is plenty of in depth info around to help you work out what is best for you.

I have already bottled 2 batches of beer and haven't tatsed them yet but I have noticed that my bottled beer has sediment and I don't want that. I like to drink every last drop of my beer. Not that I have have any of my home brew to drink yet. Only bottled my first batch 1 week ago.

Well, you'd better get used to the taste of yeast then, because you're going to have sediment in your bottles if you're bottle carbonating them. Which is the only way to carbonate bottled beer unless you bottle from the tap of a keg of carbonated beer, which I'm pretty sure you're not.

I don't worry about finings but leave the brew in the fermenter for a week or so after fermentation has completed. As long as you can avoid high temps this is fine and gives the yeast a chance to settle. Then pour into a glass for drinking in one movement and you leave the yeast behind in the smallest amount of beer and get a nice clear beer. I sometimes drink that bit anyway because yeast is an important contributor to the flavour of beer and tasting it helps you learn about it. Beer is best drunk out of a glass anyway, if you drink out of a bottle you miss about 80% of the flavour/aroma.

Thanx earle, but I bottle my beer into glass bottles, so I do enjoy the glass taste. Thanx to all for your advice. So if I ferment for 5 days, then add finnings and bottle on the 7th day,,, does that sound like a good plan??

Thanx earle, but I bottle my beer into glass bottles, so I do enjoy the glass taste. Thanx to all for your advice. So if I ferment for 5 days, then add finnings and bottle on the 7th day,,, does that sound like a good plan??

No, not in my brewery. Why are you in such a hurry? Good things come to those who are prepared to wait a little longer.

Add 7 more days to your timing schedule, and you are talking my language.

Many of my brews don't get bottled until after 3 or so weeks in the fermenter.

Ferment until it's done. Use your hydrometer to know if it's finished or not.

Exploding bottles are not only undrinkable, they are dangerous.

Read John Palmers How to Brew - it'll answer virtually all your questions, even the ones that haven't yet come up.

EDIT: How to Brew is no longer online.

OK. I dont understand my hydrometer. I was just going on the advice that when the airlock stops bubbling, then it's time to bottle. I am willing to leave them in the bottle for a few weeks. Am I wrong?? Help is MUCH appreciated!!!

No, not in my brewery. Why are you in such a hurry? Good things come to those who are prepared to wait a little longer.

Add 7 more days to your timing schedule, and you are talking my language.

Many of my brews don't get bottled until after 3 or so weeks in the fermenter.
Another way of thinking about this fasty is - if you brew at higher temps you will ferment quicker however the yeast will produce shit flavours so you'll get not so great beer. To me this is more of an issue than a bit of yeast.

Read John Palmers How to Brew - it'll answer virtually all your questions, even the ones that haven't yet come up.

EDIT: How to Brew is no longer online.

I noticed this too, but 'found' a .pdf of it. Not to sure if im allowed to post it up here.

So even if it's not bubbling through the airlock, it still needs fermenting??

Yes. Linked articles from your other thread will explain but bottling too early will at best give bad tasting beer, at worst exploding glass bottles. Think of pulling a loaf of bread out of the oven too soon because you want to eat bread. Inside is warm dough. That's the best case scenario.

Worst is stitches and a glass eye for your glassed eye.

Thanx earle, but I bottle my beer into glass bottles, so I do enjoy the glass taste.
Are you saying you plan to drink them from the bottle? This is the best way known to get as much yeast as possible into every mouthful. With homebrew it is usually advisable to carefully pour the bottle out in one go into a glass of jug.

Up to you, of course.

5 days in fermenter is way to short. mine spend 14 days in fermenter then go in fridge to about 2dec for at least 2 days usually 5 days as dont have much time to bottle and stuff. then they spend at least 4 weeks in bottle. get a few more fermenters if you need I have 3 and usually brew the day i bottle so there usually alway full of beer.

Back