Beer Filters Should Be Compulsory For All Brewers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...
Wheats and hoppy beers are best enjoyed fresh

what do you mean by fresh? 2 days after pitching? 5? a week? 2 weeks?

I can get from pitching to drinkable beer in 4 days, but it gets a lot better with a weeks age, and better still with another week. Regardless of the style IMHO.

what do you mean by fresh? 2 days after pitching? 5? a week? 2 weeks?

I can get from pitching to drinkable beer in 4 days, but it gets a lot better with a weeks age, and better still with another week. Regardless of the style IMHO.

referring to wheat beer (Hefe Weizen): its drinkable a few days after fermenting has finished, tastes best between 2 and 6 weeks after racking (Thats what Id call a fresh beer), taste is fading after 6 weeks, cannot drink anymore after 3 month

The commercial breweries are exchanging the top fermenting yeast to a bottom fermenting yeast after fermenting has finished, just to keep the good taste longer in Hefe Weizen.

Crystal Weizen is total different to Hefe Weizen, preserves its taste much longer.

Referring to filtering beers: Im filtering some of my beers, only Pilseners. Not because Id say that filtered beer tastes better, some people love it more, others less, I just wanna have one more type of beer on my taps.

So basically I can offer a filtered Pilsener, an unfiltered Zwickel beer and a Hefeweizen as a basic configuration.
Personally, I gotta say that I love my filtered beer more than the unfiltered, not so my wife.

Beers :icon_cheers:

Where they from the same batch or two separate batches???

I've never used a filter but i was considering it to be my next purchase as i hate waiting for it to clear when i've got bottles ready to be filled!

Nope, admittedly, I am talking about different batches of the same recipe, so there could be differences. I'm not talking about huge differences here, just noticeable in some experiences I have had to the point that I didn't filter any of my comp beers this year, prefering to let them clear naturally. Filters have their place and are very handy if you want a clear beer and want it now, however saying they should be a compulsary piece of brewing kit gives new brewers the wrong idea.

cheers

Browndog

Didn't read it in any books, it is just what I have experienced comparing a beer that has been filtered to the same beer not filtered. The filtered beer was definitely lacking hop flavour that the unfiltered beer had and head retention was decreased. Whether or not the same level of clarification occurs naturally with time is not a certainty, also it depends how long it takes to finish your keg.

I have found this too when useing a filter, head retention is always worse in my filtered beers.

Where did you pull this from? If you mean strips flavour as in removes hop oils stuck on yeast cells and hop particulate matter? Then yes, it will remove 'flavour'. This process will also happen during natural clarification. The only difference with a filter is it happens immediatly rather than natural settling. As for head retention loss? Wha? How did you come to this conclusion? Its stripping dextrins from the beer?

Yes, but no. Filtering, depending on the micron size, can have a pronounced flavour and head retention impact. The lower you go, the greater the pull of proteins which impact head and mouth feel as example. We notice an immediate difference with the Cuno 30J sheets we use, i'd hate to be going down to sterile and managing the protein carry over without a step-mash.

Scotty

After buying a gravity fed beer filter (Brand New) off eBay for $80.

I can honestly say it has made an incredible difference to the taste and appearance of my beer.
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERY BREWER GETS A BEER FILTER!!!!!!!!

Scotty out, off to refill!!!!!

Scotty: I have been saying this for years but their are many out there who don't listen, and most Breweries would agree, As for cloudy wheat beer :icon_drool2: I pass

:icon_cheers:

Secondary, Gelitin and CC clears my beer up.

Besides if I spend any more on my beer kit I'll be shot!

[quote post='514601' date='Sep 2 2009, 08:02 PM']I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERY BREWER GETS A BEER FILTER!!!!!!!![/quote]

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

Love that pic Warren!

Secondary, gelatin, or even an extra week or two in the primary usually does the job for me.
Depends on my motivation at the time.

Whatever's left? Well that just puts hair on your chest.

can you make a kristal weizen without a filter? I.e. with just kettle and fermentor additions?

Be interested to hear an answer to this one. Would need a long time in CC to drop that yeast I would've thought.

Wow opened up a can of worms here. I still rack all my beers to secondary and CC them. But because im very impatient I have found the filter speeds up the clearing process. Perhaps my suggestion for everyone to get them was a bit much, but I must say they do a great job. Btw, the wheat still had a little bit of cloudiness to it and I noticed it had poor head retention... meh, price you pay.

Happy Brewing everyone, filtered or unfiltered... lol

Scotty

I got mine form Clarence Water Filters.

Came with everything except the keg disconnects

There is also a gravity feed version and a range of JG fittings

Price and service were great. :)

What's better Absolute vs Nominal filter try too understand some web pages but the info not layman enough for me. :huh:

What's better Absolute vs Nominal filter try too understand some web pages but the info not layman enough for me. :huh:

Nominal means plus or minus either way. Absolute is just that, what ever is stated and usually more expensive because of stricter production protocol.

<_<

Back