Beer Filters Should Be Compulsory For All Brewers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
absolute gives the max 'hole size' in the filter, nominal gives an average. if you can, always go the absolute.

Lobo

seen these filters on ebay, would like to buy 1 :rolleyes: , although do they work from fermenter to the bottle as me being a hard working poor man, underpaid and underlaid :lol: cant afford to keg yet :angry:

seen these filters on ebay, would like to buy 1 :rolleyes: , although do they work from fermenter to the bottle as me being a hard working poor man, underpaid and underlaid :lol: cant afford to keg yet :angry:

Jdsaint,

You can use them doing a gravity feed, from fermenter to bottling bucket, so long as you have enough height distance between the fermenter and bottling bucket.

Cheers,

Bumma.

can you make a kristal weizen without a filter? I.e. with just kettle and fermentor additions?

Yes, but wouldn't be in a hurry to repeat it. Fined the keg by adding some gelatine and it turned into a krystal :( Also lost most of the character that I love in a heffe.

can you make a kristal weizen without a filter? I.e. with just kettle and fermentor additions?

well i did, and didn't use any additions whatsoever. was one of my first extract beers, its going on 18-24 months old now.

it didnt take that long for the beer to drop bright though, its been crystal clear for yonks. WLP300 hefe yeast.

like others have said, time and cc do the trick most of the time. i tend to treat everything else (whirlfloc, gelatin, filtering) as necessary if you are in a rush to serve a particular batch.

if not, let nature do its thing :beer:

Everyone MUST HAVE a filter :ph34r:

(ok so the photo isn't that great...)

IMG_1382.JPG

Kidneys are the filters.

what do you mean by fresh? 2 days after pitching? 5? a week? 2 weeks?

I can get from pitching to drinkable beer in 4 days, but it gets a lot better with a weeks age, and better still with another week. Regardless of the style IMHO.

Bit late to the party but fresh as in within several weeks rather than several months (as might be recommended for a dubbel or imperial stout or somesuch). Some beers might take up to a year to come into their prime while others are at their prime early and fade beyond that.

That's very pertinent to style.

Back