Beer Filters Should Be Compulsory For All Brewers!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
After buying a gravity fed beer filter (Brand New) off eBay for $80.

I can honestly say it has made an incredible difference to the taste and appearance of my beer.

I have previously made up the ESB Bavarian Wheat many times, once for a Bavarian friend who's friends and family (who only spoke German) said it was by far the best they had ever had in their lives and polished it off in 20 mins. I made it recently then filtered it using my new filter and it is better than any other wheat beer i have ever had before.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERY BREWER GETS A BEER FILTER!!!!!!!!

Scotty out, off to refill!!!!!

After buying a gravity fed beer filter (Brand New) off eBay for $80.

I can honestly say it has made an incredible difference to the taste and appearance of my beer.

I have previously made up the ESB Bavarian Wheat many times, once for a Bavarian friend who's friends and family (who only spoke German) said it was by far the best they had ever had in their lives and polished it off in 20 mins. I made it recently then filtered it using my new filter and it is better than any other wheat beer i have ever had before.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND EVERY BREWER GETS A BEER FILTER!!!!!!!!

Scotty out, off to refill!!!!!
Why would you filter a wheat beer? The cloudier the better

Ive been thinking about getting a filter but still have other brew related things i want to buy first :)

did you get it from a store on Ebay or from and individual?
If a store you got a link to where you got it?

Tom

Good brewing practices and time will also make crytal clear beer. Filtering can also remove flavour and head retention.

cheers

Browndog

hell no.

Whirfloc, CCing and gelatine should be compulsory for all brewers. How much oxygen/seedy mesh taste u reckon u introduce through a filter?

I don't use whirfloc; I don't CC. I rarely filter (since I broke my membrane)....
No clarity issues here. ;)

More than one way to skin a cat.

yeh actually I dont use gelatine either... but i do whirfloc and cc...

just making the point that its possible to make crystal clear bear without beer filters. I used a filter for a while, and thought it was great when I was using it... then sort of got sick of cleaning it and stuff so stopped using it.. since then have stepped up practices and have been more careful with other methods of clearing... wouldnt even use a filter again

Filtering can also remove flavour and head retention.

Where did you pull this from? If you mean strips flavour as in removes hop oils stuck on yeast cells and hop particulate matter? Then yes, it will remove 'flavour'. This process will also happen during natural clarification. The only difference with a filter is it happens immediatly rather than natural settling. As for head retention loss? Wha? How did you come to this conclusion? Its stripping dextrins from the beer?

yeh actually I dont use gelatine either... but i do whirfloc and cc...

just making the point that its possible to make crystal clear bear without beer filters. I used a filter for a while, and thought it was great when I was using it... then sort of got sick of cleaning it and stuff so stopped using it.. since then have stepped up practices and have been more careful with other methods of clearing... wouldnt even use a filter again

Yep, your basic point is fair. There are other methods....
I would use a filter again, but in conjunction with other methods, and better brewing practices...and the only time I would filter is in rush jobs to get to keg. If time is on my side, I don't see the need.

For the OP: There are various methods and practices that lead to clear beer, and they all have their appropriate place. Filtration is just one of them...

I've managed to made crystal clear beer without filtration but a filter would defenitely quicken the process.
It all come down to each individual brewer and with kits this is wast of money
my 2c

matti

Where did you pull this from? If you mean strips flavour as in removes hop oils stuck on yeast cells and hop particulate matter? Then yes, it will remove 'flavour'. This process will also happen during natural clarification. The only difference with a filter is it happens immediatly rather than natural settling. As for head retention loss? Wha? How did you come to this conclusion? Its stripping dextrins from the beer?

Didn't read it in any books, it is just what I have experienced comparing a beer that has been filtered to the same beer not filtered. The filtered beer was definitely lacking hop flavour that the unfiltered beer had and head retention was decreased. Whether or not the same level of clarification occurs naturally with time is not a certainty, also it depends how long it takes to finish your keg.

Didn't read it in any books, it is just what I have experienced comparing a beer that has been filtered to the same beer not filtered. The filtered beer was definitely lacking hop flavour that the unfiltered beer had and head retention was decreased. Whether or not the same level of clarification occurs naturally with time is not a certainty, also it depends how long it takes to finish your keg.

Where they from the same batch or two separate batches???

I've never used a filter but i was considering it to be my next purchase as i hate waiting for it to clear when i've got bottles ready to be filled!

The best thing for HB is Age....If you want really clear beer quick...buy some Megaswill.

can you make a kristal weizen without a filter? I.e. with just kettle and fermentor additions?

Why would you make a wheat beer clear?
The enjoyment of wheat beer is the yeast used.
2c+2c=4c

Why would you make a wheat beer clear?
The enjoyment of wheat beer is the yeast used.
2c+2c=4c

I agree totally,some of my Hefeweizen actually become kristal weizen.

Nothing a good shake doesn't sought out :p

I don't like the sharpness of the kristal weizen,I much prefer the mellow yeast full flavours of a Hefeweizen<h1 class="norm">
</h1>

Latest posts

Back