Beer Festival @ The Australian

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went today and as per usual, it started pouring down rain as soon as the boss and I got out of the car. By the time we got there I was soaked but all was good because the crowd wasn't as big as I thought it would be.
Pick of the bunch I would have to say was the Stone and Wood Pale, but also the McLaren Vale Ale was awesome too! Definately be grabbing a bottle of it if I come across it a Dan Murphys.

Had a good day there yesterday, but as has been said, the crowd was just too thick. Left at 2, back in at 3 and then to the Lord Nelson for a few. Stone & Wood and Rocks were the stand out for me. Top drops at both. Def think they need to close off more of the street for next year.

Went yesterday around 1pm dressed in my finest AHB shirt. ;) Bumped into a few regulars on the forum, always good to meet folks.

Wasn't too bad when we first got there but the crowds just built up more and more, by 3 it was like a moshpit.

Anyway, my pick of the festival was the Stone & Wood Pale ale...beautiful hoppy APA, would love to see more of that down this way!
Also enjoyed the Rocks Brewing Pale ale and Red...champion blokes there too.

Good to finally be able to put a face to the name Micheal.

Haha, you should have been there between 3 and 7 when the girls were serving at the Rocks ;)

Just got back home from serving at the Rocks Brewery tent. Cheers fellas, hope you enjoyed the hospitality. An AHB tee or nickname, and you were assured of a chat and generous serve.

What a great vibe serving great micro brewed beer to an appreciative public. Loved every minute of it, despite the cramps from 16 hours on my feet.

Surprise beer for me was the Vale/Ale from the fellas in the bar next to us. For a winery, they sure make great beer. Subtle and judicious use of NS hops. Also enjoyed the Stone and Wood, White Rabbit, Little Creatures, Red Angus, Schwartz (of course) and a few others. Too busy behind the bar to really take in all the others. Just happy that people seemed to enjoy the Rocks ales.

The rain today was a godsend. Yesterday's crowd was enormous, our taps were almost never closed, just two continuous streams of red and pale ale. Still have a bruise in my palm from the hole punch :)

Congrats to 4 Pines for the People's Choice for their Koelsch!!! Top beer! (should I mention that Scotty and AG brewed both this years peoples' choice winner as well as last years??? nah, their heads are big enough)
Was there on Saturday and you guys surely did have your work cut out for you; glad you got a small reprieve today. I would have gone the Sunday over the Saturday to avoid the crowd on the fine sunny Saturday, but Dad went out of a plane today for his 60th so couldnt miss that. Saturday had its advantages in that didnt have to get up the next day for work so could indulge a little longer/more excessively.

Got there relatively early and slipped out by 3:30pm. Headed to Lord Nelson and tried the Blood which I hadn't yet had, then to the Redoak on the way to Town Hall for the trip home and tried the rauchbier. Walked home from Epping and found a bottle shop with a few Weihenstephaner pint glasses for $5. Also had the Franziskaner Dunkel there that I had also never had before.

Must agree with all the beers mentioned in particular the McLaren Vale Ale was nice (and so was the girl serving it). Also must mention a consistent favourite of mine the Dogbolter from Matilda Bay. The Stone and Wood Draught Ale was good as was the Rocks Pale and Matilda Bay Alpha, all firsts for me. Also the White Rabbit continues to evolve each time I have tried it.

Well done to Scotty and AG. Scotty was working like a machine pulling the beers when I last saw him as I was leaving for the day.

Cheers for the good day out.
Jason.

nice to meet you post... And thanks for the beers! Too bad it was so busy..

My faves were the Stone and Wood, as well as the Rocks Red.. Could drink that all day...

The Vale Ale didnt impress me but will try it again without the haziness of all the other beer...

some truly shocking beers though... The Broo (http://www.broo.com.au) I think it was.. I thought it was a contract brewed lager, but appears not so??? tasted like Crown Lager.. And another bottled lager that was next to Byron Bay Ale... Bad also! Cant even remember the name..

WAY too small a space for the event.

Saturday was so crowded... How much better would it be if they had it in a park somewhere... Would make the whole thing much more enjoyable

Thanks guys, saturday was all madness, when the pub is open a beer will be on me as a survivor of the day!

7000 people thru, we cranked out about 6000 serves on the saturday (assuming 6-7 kegs blown, a few generous top-ups ...)

The Stone and Wood was my pick, totally different for any of the other beers there.

scott, one of the loverly ladies taking names and email addy's mentioned about a pub opening...

I was half cut at this stage.. Can you give more detail?

scott, one of the loverly ladies taking names and email addy's mentioned about a pub opening...

I was half cut at this stage.. Can you give more detail?
Rocks brewing is taking over the licence for Harts pub one block over from the Australian. I think they mentioned 12 taps with 5 of their own beers and rotation of microbrewed beer from around Australia on the others.
I just sent you a PM too DJ.

Rocks brewing is taking over the licence for Harts pub one block over from the Australian. I think they mentioned 12 taps with 5 of their own beers and rotation of microbrewed beer from around Australia on the others.

:chug: :icon_drool2:

Harts, Australian, Lord Nelson. No need to leave the area !!

Scott - any thought about a hand pump or two serving cask conditioned ale at the right temp. I recon this would be a great way to be a bit different to the others.

Hi Guys

Yes, there will be some cask ale, got a test recipe in the fridge at the moment. Most likely a Friday/Sat arvo special due to the limited cellar space (12 taps is alot to have on tap anyway).

The license app is the unknown, so we are impatiently waiting ... could be December, could be February ...

Scotty

Hi Guys

Yes, there will be some cask ale, got a test recipe in the fridge at the moment. Most likely a Friday/Sat arvo special due to the limited cellar space (12 taps is alot to have on tap anyway).

The license app is the unknown, so we are impatiently waiting ... could be December, could be February ...

Scotty

awesome....that is really close to my work..... maybe i shouldn't be looking for a new job?

Whose this ugly mug?

Aussie_Beer_Festival_038.JPG

Whose this ugly mug?
That would be me. Great afternoon had down at the fest chatting with the brewers and drinking quality beer. The rain was a welcome relief and probably kept the crowds away.

My favourites were the Rocks Red, White Rabbit, Stone & Wood Pale and 4 Pines Kolsch.

Haha, you should have been there between 3 and 7 when the girls were serving at the Rocks ;)

Just got back home from serving at the Rocks Brewery tent. Cheers fellas, hope you enjoyed the hospitality. An AHB tee or nickname, and you were assured of a chat and generous serve.

What a great vibe serving great micro brewed beer to an appreciative public. Loved every minute of it, despite the cramps from 16 hours on my feet.

Congrats to 4 Pines for the People's Choice for their Koelsch!!! Top beer! (should I mention that Scotty and AG brewed both this years peoples' choice winner as well as last years??? nah, their heads are big enough)

Ahh, wish i'd have known you where an AHBer, prob don't remember but i was the little fella in the black skull cap that kept coming back for more. Got writers cramp from flling in all the peoples choice forms too, i thought rocks were a shoe in.

When and where does the pub open?

Latest posts

Back