Beer Dispensing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
My taps I just installed tend to foam up the first beer that I pour out of it a bit, then any subsequent beers I pour right away dont get nearly as much head. The foamin up isnt excessive, I probably get about 30mm on the first beer then 5 to 10 on subsequent beers.

There arent bubbles forming in the lines, so I am not sure what is causing it.

Any ideas?

I sometimes have the same problem. I think it is due to the taps are at a higher temperature than the beer, once the taps cool down to the beer temperature then no foaming.

Hmmm, can be caused by temperature differential between the keg, the line and the tap! Mine is the same, the taps heat up on the outside and it causes a bit of foaminess!

Check your lines before pouring and see if there are co2 bubbles in the line, could be your system is not "balanced", see the wiki for a great document on balancing a draft system.

To solve the temperature differential in the lines/keg, people set up a small computer fan inside the fridge to circulate air.

My taps I just installed tend to foam up the first beer that I pour out of it a bit, then any subsequent beers I pour right away dont get nearly as much head. The foamin up isnt excessive, I probably get about 30mm on the first beer then 5 to 10 on subsequent beers.

There arent bubbles forming in the lines, so I am not sure what is causing it.

Any ideas?

30mm is a good head! It probably is the temp diff doing it. Are you using cold glasses? If so, putting warm(er) beer into a cold glass will do it. Just get a bigger glass :beer: I wouldnt worry about it. When youre getting glass after glass of foam, its time to attempt balancing your system.
Cheers.

Thanks for your help.

It will definately be the temp difference. I have put a fair bit of time into understanding how all these temperature/pressures/flow rates relate to each other and am sure that is other wise in balance.

Its not really a problem. The beers are always fizzy, and like mckenry says, 30mm is a good head, so I just pull the glasses away for the others to get more head. I was just wondering why it happened.

Also, I do use cold glasses. I bought a fridge/freezer and have a glasses rack in the freezer. Its awesome. You guys should all do it!

Latest posts

Back