Beer Deluxe - Homebrew Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droid said:
well, good luck Grant! I'll be sure to avail myself to a few pints if ya win mate! Do you know what sort of system you'd be brewing on if you take it out?

maybe I should be saying "break a leg"... or would it be apt in a brewers case to say "break a wrist" ?
You get to brew the beer on the new pilot system at Stone & Wood. Other than that no idea.

Brewers Choice
1st - Grant Morley, New World Kolsch (53/60)
2nd - Todd McDonald, Belgian Tripel (48/60)
3rd - Pete Imison, Scottish Export (47.5/60)

Honorable Mentions
Bob Wilhelm, Choc-Coconut Oatmeal Stout (45.5/60)
Ben Weereratne, Imperial Stout (45/60)
Kane Snyder, Rye Ale (44.75/60)

Pale Ale
1st - Bob Wilhelm (50.5/60)
2nd - Grant Morley (46.5/60)
3rd - Trevor Griffett (45/60)

Honorable Mentions
Brendan Corrie (40/60)
Kenny Doyle (39/60)
Eduard Svalbe (37.5/60)

IPA
1st - Damien Carroll (47.5/60)
2nd - Aaron Whitehand (46.5/60)
3rd - Sean Reynolds (45.5/60)

Honorable Mentions
Dale Messina (38/60)
Jordan Browning (36.5/60)
Rowan Bolton (36/60)

This coming Sunday 15th is the public Grand Final event at Beer DeLuxe Fed Square. Entry is free to this Good Beer Week event, and you’ll have the opportunity to sample the 12 finalist beers from around the country, and see who is crowned “Best In Category”, “People’s Choice Winner” & the grand prize “Best Overall Beer”.

Here are the results for Sydney:

Pale Ale:
First: Kevin Parker (106 points)
Second: Ben Willing (73.5 points)
Third: Michael Church (73 Points)

Honorable Mentions:
Jay Cook
Keith Allen
Jonathon Dayley

IPA:
First: Glen Bentley (105.5 points)
Second: Tim O’Donovan (98 points)
Third: Dan Koorey (95 points)

Honorable Mentions:
Jay Cook
Ben Willing
Keith Allen

Brewers Choice:
First: Dan Koorey – Russian Imperial Stout (129 points)
Second: Jonathon Dayley – Belgian Blonde (122 points)
Third: Brand Bamford – Chocolate Stout (115 points)

Honorable Mentions:
Ken Johnson
Jay Cook
Brayden Rawlinson
I got a call after the event saying that my entry in Brewer's Choice category (a Hefeweizen) actually came 4th, but they made a mistake and didn't call it out on the night. (they're sending me out an Honourable Mention certificate and prize out to me, so now harm done).

All in all it was a good comp to enter - although the low scores were a bit brutal and faults were picked up that my untrained palette struggles to detect. I didn't get any first places, but won $200 of bar tab vouchers. A tidy sum not to be sneezed at.

Edit: Scores are out of 160.

Mardoo said:
Hey B&T, Care to share what was New World about your kolsch? New world hops?
No problem. Typically i use Tettnang in a Kolsch, but with everyone's love of new world hops I decided to use Riwaka, Nelson Sauvin and Helga. A bit more hop presence than a traditional Kolsch, but not completely over the top. A Kolsch seems to be a bit of the crowd pleaser: I have never had anyone turn up their nose.

Anyways it would be good to have a few AHB-ers there this Sunday 3.00pm at Beer Deluxe Fed Square. $10 and you get to try all 12 finalists and vote.

https://goodbeerweek.com.au/events/view/569/Home-Brew-Heroes

Black n Tan said:
No problem. Typically i use Tettnang in a Kolsch, but with everyone's love of new world hops I decided to use Riwaka, Nelson Sauvin and Helga. A bit more hop presence than a traditional Kolsch, but not completely over the top. A Kolsch seems to be a bit of the crowd pleaser: I have never had anyone turn up their nose.

Anyways it would be good to have a few AHB-ers there this Sunday 3.00pm at Beer Deluxe Fed Square. $10 and you get to try all 12 finalists and vote.

good luck mate

I'd bloody love to mate, but it's homebrewer to pro brewer on Monday and I'd be eating a fair amount of glass with 2 leave passes in a row.

Best of luck though mate.

I also received a call saying my 2nd place in the IPA category at hawthorn had been upgraded to 1st place. As the 1st place guy had won the Wagga event so cant be in twice for the same beer. So ill take the win haha.

Yob said:
I'd bloody love to mate, but it's homebrewer to pro brewer on Monday and I'd be eating a fair amount of glass with 2 leave passes in a row.

Best of luck though mate.
Just tell her you're putting out the bins, thats what i did on Mum's day

EDIT: I forgot about home brewer to pro brewer, just booked, do you who the hack is thats hosting it?

Thanks so much B&T. A well done kolsch is a damn fine thing. I hope to get to enjoy yours on tap sometime after the finals :)

Black n Tan said:

I beleive I talked MrsGrumpy into coming along last night...so unless plans change, I'll see you there.

And well done on getting to the finals.

Anyone know how many entries were in the Hawthorn IPA category?

GrumpyPaul said:
I beleive I talked MrsGrumpy into coming along last night...so unless plans change, I'll see you there.

And well done on getting to the finals.
It will be good to see you there Paul

Dropped the keg of New World Kolsch off today and a single bottle for judging. Judging is tomorrow morning and peoples choice Sunday afternoon. Hope a few of you can make it on Sunday, should be a good afternoon (Sunday 3.00-6.00pm Beer Deluxe, Fed Square)

https://goodbeerweek...ome-Brew-Heroes

Latest posts

Back