Beer Cookbook

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went fishing a month ago and still trying to get through all the fish. So i tried the fish pie in the book. Must say i was quite impressed indeed, another knockout recipe Paul.

Cheers :beer:

made the satay skewers, amazing satay sauce!

Can you order the book online somewhere?

Yes - in fact I saw it on line for $15 and free shipping!!!!!! I dont know how they can sell it that cheap - I think it cuts me out of any $$!

You can also buy it as an E book - just do a search.

I havent seen it in any target or kmart stores since after Xmas but good luck in finding it in one you never know.

Enjoy it when you buy it!

Fents, Drew - glad you are cooking stuff out of the book and even happier you are enjoying them!

Cheers

Yes - in fact I saw it on line for $15 and free shipping!!!!!! I dont know how they can sell it that cheap - I think it cuts me out of any $$!

Okay Ill make sure I buy it at a store then Paul... :icon_cheers:

Reminds me that I got this for Christmas from someone.
Better dig it out and have a good look, might even find something the non beer drinking wife likes.

Better dig it out and have a good look, might even find something the non beer drinking wife likes.
The choc stout brownies for sure.
I've been asked several times in the office when I'm gonna make it again.

apple and cinnamon muffins, banana bread, birramasu, sticky date pudding.......
seafood rissotto, cockle pasta, mussels......
bbq duck, paella, rabbit and ox tail parpadella.....

you will find something she likes! and yes have a good look through before you put it away and forget about it!

enjoy

The choc stout brownies for sure.
I've been asked several times in the office when I'm gonna make it again.
Just made a double batch, but using my double espresso porter this time.

Licking the bowl is the best part.

Made the braised pickled pork last week, sensational!!!!

Cheers SJ

apple and cinnamon muffins, banana bread, birramasu, sticky date pudding.......
seafood rissotto, cockle pasta, mussels......
bbq duck, paella, rabbit and ox tail parpadella.....

you will find something she likes! and yes have a good look through before you put it away and forget about it!

enjoy

Got your great book for christmas paul....and have made several recipes since. The hop panacottas were cool...i followed the recipe pretty closely using EK goldings pellets (all i had in the fridge that i wasn't using for my wort at the time) but they were still quite bitter.... I'm a hop head though so i still liked them.

So far have made the meatloaf (not a fan usually but love your recipe) and the BBQ sauce (very tasty). Used the sauce to coat some chicken wings (couldn't find quail in time) and cook on the BBQ. Great stuff....enjoyed slathering them while drinking my own APA.

My girlfriend (who bought me the book) is no beer fan but she is going to be eating your choc stout brownies for desert this valentine's day....even if she doesn't know it yet...made with my own choc and oatmeal stout.

Next on my list is the curries and casseroles as the colder months come on.

Made the sweet marinated chook with ale and corriander. Didn't have a whole chook so i used chicken thighs. Also used a APA instead of Coopers PA, it ws the closest thing that i had on tap. Was defiently a hit with the wife. I just love how we can cook with beer and it tastes fantastic. :D

IMG_0040.jpg

We just made 10 bottles of the hot and spicy sauce with a few of our homegrown tomatoes (tigerella, roma and k1 went into it). Cracker of a recipe, tastes fantastic already - I highly recommend it. We used a porter rather than a stout so the colour was a little lighter than the picture in the book, and used Jack Daniels. Given how it turned out, I think we will do another larger batch before the season is done. Cheers Merc, great recipe.

J

Thanks for all the comments guys!!! It is really terrific to get great feed back but even better is knowing that people are using the book, cooking the recipes, using their own beer and making their own adjustments AND having fun AND enjoying the food with family and friends!

Thank you!

I also look forward to hearing how the Autumn/winter type recipes go for you all.

As for today it is hot so I am doing a BBQ mixed seafood type salad and marinating the seafood in a herb, soy, chilli, lime and beer marinade!!

Cheers

We've done three recipes from your book, Merc.

Goat's cheese, caramelized onion tart - sublime. Absolutely fantastic.

Fish Pie - the first Fish Pie I could actually eat.. it was really really great. We've done it a few times in the last 4 weeks. We've been avoiding the scallops and using extra prawns, because it seems there's been a run on of Chinese imported scallops lately.. and it's hard to source Aussie ones unless you're willing to go frozen, or make a trip to a fishmarket.

Beer Can chicken - we cooked this on Saturday night. Moist and juicy, but really bland. For a 1.7kg chicken (which the recipe calls for, I believe), the lemon/garlic/herb in the beer wasn't enough to penetrate the flesh. Nor was the baste enough to penetrate from the outside. I used Boddington's Pub Ale (can cut, widget removed). Of course, it could just be my tastebuds that don't pick up the more subtle flavours. It certainly wasn't offensive, it was wonderfully juicy.. but the flavour was completely missing. I basted 3 or 4 times as it was cooking too.
We used a Bannockburn Farm free range chook.
I think some firm butter with the baste ingredients, or thyme/garlic butter, or something pushed between the chicken breast and skin would've given it some more flavour. Although I don't know how it'd go with the vertical positioning of the chicken.
I guess though, it's horses for courses. I like tasty infused flesh, others don't - and maybe that was the intention of the recipe! :)

Anyway, just thought I'd mention our experience with the book thus far. I'd cook the tart and fish pie again in a heartbeat, but we'd give the chicken a miss unless we did some breast/skin stuffing to force a bit more flavour in there.

cheers
kieran

Latest posts

Back