beer canning melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try alibaba for cheap can seamers. There is also a micro brewery supplier that I cottoned on to that sells smaller quantities of can blanks and lids so it is very definitety do-able and at a reasonable price. Sorry I can't remember the name of the can supplier but try the micro brewing association website, I think they're a sponsor.

don't forget it will be 110v aswell
The US 110v if had solar power and battery backup could use US inverter.
In the US small breweries contract out the canning of beer if they do not have the volume and the price of cans is big part of the cost.

Cans are great if you have the equipment.

The equipment is great if you have the cash.

Usually if you have the cash, you're running a high speed line.

If you have the sort of cash necessary to run a low DO, low speed can line for your home brew, then why not.

I see the mk16 is $1500 US plus $451 freight to get it here

nearly 2k US - that's one way to blow the tax return!

Excuse my possible ignorance, for the "home canner" how can you tell if you have a slow leak on the roll seam. With a bottle you can see and shake. I'd hate to can a heap, store, chill only to find them all flat.

*I think the plan is that you do a tear down of a sealed can at the start of your canning and then after so many cans you do another one. There is an acceptable tolerance and a tool to measure that. The Mark16 comes with the tool. It's an art to tear down a can, not something I got the hang of.
*With my limited commercial canning experience.

image.jpg

Sample auditing/quality control is fine as long as you can drink the tear down samples. Ha

Plenty of 1/3 and 1/2 filled cans here grott but not enough to wash away the bad taste in your mouth when you just want to finish canning. One of the can lid spacers was the culprit, only needed a 1/4 turn....

This is where you need a seam scope to measure and adjust the cover and body hook and the total seam thickness.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500193231.531790.jpg

You can then do on the run tests with a modified micrometer to keep track of the overall seam thickness.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1500193746.087330.jpg

If like me you're in to c02 and kegs then a Blichman beer gun would suffice, but yes it's just the seamer.

For the money, on a HB scale I'd go the LDO bottler from NZ that came up a few months back. No matter how good the packaging is, if the beer picks up oxygen on it's way into the vessel or the vessel isn't purged properly, you've lost quality or ruined the beer. I understand that canning is supposed to give greater shelf life etc, but as klangers points out you need a proper filler ...... or your spending near 3 grand for wank factor.

I don't see how the filler is much different to a beer gun having used both. Will have to check the NZ thing. Cans are cool ya old school fool!!! Just jokes hehe

Agree @tj2204, I have spoken with Visy last week and they can sell smallish quantities of plain silver cans and lids. If I want them printed then need to buy in MOQ 60,000 (won't be happening...).
There are some "Brew By U" type microbrewerys around that have them but I've not seen in any in homebrew supply shops.
Seems if there was a cost effective machine and cans available on the market a lot of home brewers would go for it as an option...
Do you have a contact detail for who you spoke to and a price on the smaller quantity cans?

Latest posts

Back