Beer And Grass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobsta

Reaction score
Emptied out the dregs from my chilled beer onto the lawn last brew, and noticed a big patch of dead grass at that exact spot. anybody else notice wort having the same effect on grass? anybody know what it is that does it?

Lobby

Emptied out the dregs from my chilled beer onto the lawn last brew, and noticed a big patch of dead grass at that exact spot. anybody else notice wort having the same effect on grass? anybody know what it is that does it?

Yea without getting too scientific, your turf is not quite PISSFIT yet! It will develop a tolerance after several brews dumped on it.

Cheers,

JJ

The wort is likely too acidic for the grass (just a guess)

I think citrus trees like higher acidity though, which is why people piss on them... (just guessing, again)

A year ago I dumped about 40 gallons of sour porter on an ant hill in my backyard. It killed the ants and the grass. Now, one year later, the grass finally came back but not the ants.

I'll save you the trouble of asking. A guy in my brew club got an idea that we should collectively brew enough to fill an old whisky barrel and let it age in the barrel. I have a 10 gallon system and a friend has a 20, so he brewed 2 batches and I brewed 1. We fermented it, then racked it to the barrel. It actually tasted good for the first month, then it quickly went to hell. When it came time for everyone to come and get their share, surprise surprise, no one wanted it anymore. Except for one diehard that took 10 gallons. That's why I dumped 40 gallons of sour beer on an ant hill.

Save for the 6 months of snow cover, my wife bitched about the dead spot in the lawn for a year. <_<

How's my twisted mind?

I though this was about alcohol and THC, and the synergistic effect they have in combination.

Best recommendation for any who try:
..."Grass before beer, in the clear; Beer before grass, on your @rse."
This is courtesy of a fellow HAG brewer, who I will not embarrass by naming.

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking, hahaha

Aaaahhhhh...................the good ole days........................before random workplace drug tests ..................................................... ................................................................................

Dry "hopped" in secondary huh? wink wink... ;) THC is alcohol soluble after all. The flavour would blend right in with hops too.

Have a mate who is Swiss (and a bit clueless) who tried to bring a commercially made brand of 'Cannabis Beer' through customs at Melbourne Airport while he was studying here.

I can tell you this to confirm that the stuff exists commercially somewhere (where it's legal - is decriminalised in Switzerland so I guess it's ok - must be available there or in Europe somewhere will have to ask him where he got it).

Funnily enough he didn't realise bringing such a thing to Australia is a no-no. He did the right thing and declared it on his entry form and went to the 'something to declare' counter.

Needless to say the customs boys were a bit bemused by his stupidity and let him through minus the six-pack. They must have one hell of an end of year party in Australian Customs with all the stuff they collect! My friend's bevvies included! :D

Hopper.

I though this was about alcohol and THC, and the synergistic effect they have in combination.

Hahaha me too! Bring on the Braindeath Barleywine.

Aaaahhhhh...................the good ole days........................before random workplace drug tests ..................................................... ................................................................................

:angry: :angry: :angry:

So true

noting worse than a random drug test call at a mine induction........... i only drink beer these days but the thought still makes me nervous.

I have had to piss in the jar a few times now with some nazi bitch watching over me after pouring blue dye in the tiolet. great fun.

They hire half the people to do the work and wonder why people get hurt....... everyone is so stressed out they need a bit of release but then they drug test us all and wonder why so many fail the tests.

They wonder why most of the people in the mining industry are overwight...... working nonstop odd hour shifts, no time to eat properly, and the mines themselves are lucky to offer drinkable water let alone good food for their employees.

but they pay my bills so i wont knock them too much.

As far as the grass goes....... i pour my dreggs or infected beer down the drain......... not on the lawn. Beer is very acidic, not lawn friendly

cheers

:D.. I must admit I had the 'alternative' grass in mind when I read the thread title too. I wish my lotto numbers would come up as many times as the feakin' drug testing marble does for me... :angry: If I was selling my piss to the mines by the litre, I'd be a freakin' millionaire...

You would think they were loading piss into the trains wouldnt you mate!

Sorry for ther off toppic........... back to the turf :)

cheers

:lol: yeah...

Back to the turf.. I'll take a picture of a nice dead patch beside my driveway tomorrow, you might be interested to know that lawn doesn't like neo pink solution or iodophor solution either, one or the other... :unsure:

They hire half the people to do the work and wonder why people get hurt....... everyone is so stressed out they need a bit of release but then they drug test us all and wonder why so many fail the tests.

They wonder why most of the people in the mining industry are overwight...... working nonstop odd hour shifts, no time to eat properly, and the mines themselves are lucky to offer drinkable water let alone good food for their employees.
Must be why I gave up the mining game after 18 years and took up brewing! :p

Although if you didn't turn up too work hung over in China (or get on the booze at lunch time with the mine bosses) then people would question your commitment to the job.

I never give myself a random D&A test. :lol:

Andrew.

Lobby

Lobby,
I won't go into the why's of the grass dying like that but you can do a quick repair job by emptying out the dregs of your next fermentation on that dead spot. :)

TP :beer:

Totally off topic but,
I've heard of a non commercial grass beer being sold by a very bad boy who also sold a herbal product closely related to hops ;)
I have no idea what it tasted like and the guy who made it would not say how he did it, but I was told it had the same effect as smoking a few big fat numbers and drinking a 6 pack :)

Latest posts

Back