Bavarian Weissbier Tips

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a German recipe that I translated a few years ago. It's my go to Hefeweizen that I don't like to run out of.
It's also by far the most popular one on the the German recipe site.
Give it a go and let me know what you think. If you like maximum banana flavours, ferment at 22°C, otherwise 20°C will give a more balanced flavour with clove coming through as well.
Cheers

https://share.brewfather.app/COdhKfby0mhjmp

I'm obsessed with Weizen; both white and dark. there is so much to enjoy with malt and yeast flavours. and (as an older chap) it's nice to brew a tasty full flavour beer that can be made a bit lower in ABV (if you like). my own go from around 5 and down to 4. perhaps not to so ABV

I enjoy the 'clove' flavours of Schneider yeast and if you can't be arsed growing some from a bottle, the wlp351 is close (as in the same ballpark) but not right on the mark; get Schneider yeast it is a winner and lasts ages. As for banana the classic 3068/300 yeast is the go, also the Munich classic dry yeast is a winner; but with each starting at 18, going to 20 gives the best result. I've tried each many times and the 3068 is the best but the others are really close

interestingly - as I save yeast as a slurry and re-pitch, I've not found pitch rates a factor. PH is, and I'm blessed to have soft water in Singapore so it's a good start for me.

my variations to date that result in the best beer are - step mash (including a dough in) it takes ages but the results are impressive. fermentation temp variation and ph.

Latest posts

Back