'battle Of The Toucans'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apart from the overuse of sugar (maybe 500g would've been enough) it doesn't sound half bad.
You could dry hop with another 25g Amarillo if you're game, but let us know how it goes.

Cherry Stout toucan ???

Coopers Stout + Coopers IPA
500g Wheat Malt
500g Raw Sugar

Nottingham yeast

2x cans of Coles Black Cherries and juice mashed with potato masher and added after 4 days.
( heard that sour cherries work better than sweet ones but they are not ready available in supermarkets )

SG is reading 1.020 presently but looks like it has stopped.

tasted the hydro sample and could not detect any hint of cherry at all Oh well.
Leave it in the fermenter longer and see if the SG drops some more and picks up a bit of cherry.

Cherry Stout toucan ???

Coopers Stout + Coopers IPA
500g Wheat Malt
500g Raw Sugar

Nottingham yeast

2x cans of Coles Black Cherries and juice mashed with potato masher and added after 4 days.
( heard that sour cherries work better than sweet ones but they are not ready available in supermarkets )

SG is reading 1.020 presently but looks like it has stopped.

tasted the hydro sample and could not detect any hint of cherry at all Oh well.
Leave it in the fermenter longer and see if the SG drops some more and picks up a bit of cherry.
General concensus is you really need to add the fruit into the secondary. Primary strips a lot of flavour out of the fruit. Check out the fruit beers in the article section for more tips.

General concensus is you really need to add the fruit into the secondary. Primary strips a lot of flavour out of the fruit. Check out the fruit beers in the article section for more tips.

Yes I was being lazy waited until the first high ferment slowed down. Although there is not really that much taste in canned cherries they are a bit bland.

Edit: should have just eaten the cherries with some ice cream yum.

Yes I was being lazy waited until the first high ferment slowed down. Although there is not really that much taste in canned cherries they are a bit bland.

Edit: should have just eaten the cherries with some ice cream yum.
It won't hurt it. I still put a small amount of raspberries in primary, but I leave most for 2ndary.
Just get a few more cans.

Apart from the overuse of sugar (maybe 500g would've been enough) it doesn't sound half bad.
You could dry hop with another 25g Amarillo if you're game, but let us know how it goes.

Got a 25g bag of cascade I could add to this ******* but Im gonna Carb it up in the next day or so

Next time I will be sure to use less sugar
Names for it so far are
******* ale
suicide ale
D.U.I ale
Or all of the above

Thanks all for the advice and comments and I will be sure to let you know if it's any good

By the way I was in Hahndorf today and the family Inn has the Hoff Maiboc back on tapp if anyone has a recipe for that, I'd be stoked!! maybe the push I need to move to all grain

Bloody right mate.

Earlier tonight i posted a thread asking for help with a recipe that includes 20% rice in a lager recipe. Haven't used it before in an all grain beer, so if you don't know, you don't know....

Tell us how this beer turns out Cog, would be interested in the results!

Mate I Have a result

To my surprise it has turned out great FG of 1014 which seems good considering it started around 1060ish

It resembles an I.P.A, bitter,sweet but not too sweet.
A strong brew with a reasonable hops flavor.
I invite a Hills Brewer to come and try a pint to give me a non bias opinion if they happen to be going through Lobey some time in the next few days.
That way I'll know if it is worth recommending to the novice brewer who wants to expand their horizon.

2 x Coopers Canadia Blonde
10g leftover Cascade (made a hop tea & threw it in. why not ay)
Both yeasts.
23l
cooked at about 18deg for 10 days or so.

will post results once it's been in the bottle for a month or so.

after 2.5 weeks in the bottle its pretty good. tasty & bitter. next time I'll add a fistful of aroma hops.
http://twitpic.com/51vin6

I have been wanting to do a 2can brew lately and i figure i might use my last 2 cans before moving onto all grain brewing.

Coopers IPA
Black Rock Pils blonde
US05 yeast

Is likely to end up overly bitter?
What else should i add if anything?

Hops?
I was thinking 40g Goldings dry hop?

Your thoughts please?

Coopers Stout + Coopers Dark Ale
1kg brewers choice Stout Mix
200g Uncle Tobys Quick Oats (as per this
200g leftover Dex
30g Fuggles (5min hop tea)
made to 24l
18deg
just tried this after only 1 week in the bottle (impatient prick I know).
very tasty. bitter, but not too bitter at all, even this early on. pours with a thick creamy head which lasts & lasts.
black as the ace of spades, just held it up to the sun and couldn't see any colour :p (maybe some turd-brown around the corner of the glass).
So happy that this is drinkable now & I don't have to wait until next winter to enjoy it!

Glad you had a win, i will have to give this one a go as my toucan was good but not great, i like the idea of adding oats too.

I have been wanting to do a 2can brew lately and i figure i might use my last 2 cans before moving onto all grain brewing.

Coopers IPA
Black Rock Pils blonde
US05 yeast

Is likely to end up overly bitter?
What else should i add if anything?

Hops?
I was thinking 40g Goldings dry hop?

Your thoughts please?

Put this one down on Friday evening and it is now WELL under way...bubbling like a you know what. Still waiting for it to exit stage air lock though?

In the end i went with 25g Cascade @ 10 minutes and 10g Galaxy @ flame out boiled up with 2 litres of water along with 200g of LME.

Stay tuned!

After reading the latest homebrewer mag I realise I have the ingredients for the Coopers Vintage Ale 'clone' sitting around and wonder whether anyone has tried it? As its a 'toucan' I'm hoping this is an appropriate thread to discuss it.

The ingredients from the mag, and the Coopers site are:

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit
1.7kg Real Ale beer kit
1kg Dextrose
30g Nelson Sauvin pellets
Commercial Coopers Ale yeast (or both sachets of kit yeast)

I'm wondering whether its worth putting down, and if its worth reculturing the yeast from the vintage, or just using the pale/sparkling reculture? Or even using both strains as they mention that they add another yeast prior to bottling. Are there any improvements I can make? I have steeped grains before and have some Pale Crystal Malt kickin around, would this be the way to go? I would like to give it a crack but don't care for making a 'clone', but something close style-wise would be nice.
Cheers all!

Both of the cans will add enough flavour to forget the grain as you dont want it to be mental overpowering. As far as the yeast goes I recon try the coopers cultured yeast from the pale/sparkling as I believe it is all the same strain and the lower alcohol content of the beer you are culturing from will hopefully give healthier yeasties. The yeast mentioned for bottling is just to make sure it carbs up as the original yeast could be full from all the sugars its eaten to eat the priming sugar.

My vote is to give the recipe ago as it does sound tasty.

Hey guys. Just tasted my first 'toucan'. Have been doing beer a few years now (kit+kilo then went to extracts with added bits etc.) but never tried the 'two can' idea though i've known about it for ages. Saw Woolies had coopers cans on sale for approx $8 a few weeks ago and grabbed several. So ended up using two to make my first APA style toucan. Recipe as follows:

Volume 25L
1.7 kg Can Coopers Real Ale
1.7 kg Can Coopers Lager
200gm LDME
350gm Coopers Brewing sugar (80/20 dex/malto)
200gm crystal steeped 65deg for 40min

5gm Chinook 15min
5gm Chinnook 10min
5gm Chinook 5min
10gm Chinook 0min

(hop time estimates basically was going for a continuous addititon idea but kept gettting distracted LOL)

6L boil (half real ale can added then steeped liquor)

Fermentted US05 20deg 7 day primary. Dry Hop 10gm chinook 10gm cascade for 8 days.
OG: 1047 FG: 1011

Tasted one bottle quickly primed (not dry hopped) after one week (sit near water heater he he) and very happy. Not too hoppy, but definitely good bite. Surprisingly smooth given very green age! Nice chinook flavour but really impressed but great malt (makes sense lots of lme in there...).

Given price of the batch very cost effective. Will muck around with this again when i see some sales. Have tried cans with lme tubs and that was also good but this is cheaper and just as good. Have to be carfeul about the isohop from the cans (*especially cheap ones) because it appears really bitter in the wort but seems to tone out once in the final beer. Much more misleading than doing a normal beer in my experience. Can't wait to taste one that hs been dry hopped and properly aged!

PS Have decided to call this beer 'The CH-47' in honour of the sole bittering hop. Aviation fans will get the idea (or else just google it!)

Put this one down on Friday evening and it is now WELL under way...bubbling like a you know what. Still waiting for it to exit stage air lock though?

In the end i went with 25g Cascade @ 10 minutes and 10g Galaxy @ flame out boiled up with 2 litres of water along with 200g of LME.

Stay tuned!

Did something similar recently with coopers stout can and a kilo of DME, I toasted my oats though in the oven until golden brown then steeped them with some extra grains. Adds a really nice roasted almost smokey flavour to the beer.

Maybe a thought for next time.

Love oats in a stout though just adds the best consistency to the beer and adds awesome head as well.

Picked up 2 cans of Black Rock Lager, 1 Brewcraft Irish Stout and a Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner out of date to see what i can turn out of them. Will be interesting to see how they go.

Picked up 2 cans of Black Rock Lager, 1 Brewcraft Irish Stout and a Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsner out of date to see what i can turn out of them. Will be interesting to see how they go.

Do i sense a 4 can brew coming? lol

I used one can of the Blackrock and added 500g table sugar, 10g cascade @ 10 and made to 10L. They are only a few months out of date but i just want to sort of test the waters to see what they are like. Was thinking i would go the irish stout, Pilsner and maybe buy a coopers dark ale for an imperial? Throw some grains in to make it better. Never made a trican before.

Back