Batch Sparge Low Alcohol Go In Hot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enzymes responsible for saccharification operate well outside those temperatures. Too low and they work slowly while other, less favourable enzymes are optimised. Too high and they start becoming denatured.
Suggested ranges are relative to that and things like pH and liquor ratio affect things too. That's theory but 59-72 at least. Beta is destroyed at about 75 so will be working less well at the top end but alpha will be loving life. Alpha is destroyed at about 80 and denaturing also occurs with time at the higher temps below that. Personally (so from experience) I'd use 62 for a dry beer and a short mash at 70-72 for a full bodied, dextrinous one. 64-68 is too narrow.

As for the 100- I personally batch sparge cool but you've been brewing a while and if you're not tasting tannins in your finished beer using boiling water then I trust your experience. I have sparged at around 85 before and found no diffetence in extraction as my more commonly held temp of 74.

Sorry to OP for slightly OT.

Latest posts

Back