Batch Sparge Low Alcohol Go In Hot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAllan

Reaction score
I have great success using 90C mash & sparge temps for low alcohol beers(3-3.5%). Combined with Whirlpool & Immersion Chiller , Controlled Fermentation Temp and Yeast calculator I have had good results.
Hope this is helpful to someone!!

90*c.....

Way to high......way way to high.

You would use a lot less grain mashing at 65*c.

Seriously.....90*c....your taking the piss shurely.

Mmmm....yeah......90* c mash...mashout out at 77-80*c......yeah......maths 101...

I batch sparge with 100*c water.

Masing at 90*c is going to kill your enyzmes...not to mention draw out tannins

_68285582_troll624.jpg

If you want a less fermentable wort, mash at 72c so the beta amalyse is mostly denatured but the alpha is still giving you larger sugars and dextrins

DS, whats that weird looking creature in your post above........

C'mon guys, let's keep this thread on topic please.

Sorry to cause some much angst but it works for me. By the time I add the water to my cooler and then stir it and measure the temp the Mash is generally at about 78C. Any way just thought it might be helpful to those like me trying to make low alcohol beer because it works for me.

Ahhhhh you made it sound like the mash was 90. You're referring to strike water temperature

SAllen...what volumes of grain are you using...how much strike water...how long for mashing....who told you to mash so high

Mashing at 78* is just going to waste grain. The
only fermentables you may get is from the adjunct grains.

Your method may work....but your initiall post makes it illogical and not overly probable.

Sorry to say but a lot brewers are going to mention the word "bullshit" with their hand over their mouth so as not to seem insulting.

Probably my terminolgy is not good. Any way I got the idea from the American Denny Con after watching an interview on Beersmith. In defence to him I am sure he was talking about the sparge water and I just decided to go with it the whole process. Any way after this conversation I have as usual learned heaps and will drop my strike water temp. It has been worthwhile to me the whole discussion. Have brewed All Grain now for couple of years and am still learning. However am definately not an Academic and that's why I made the post. Want to make good low alcohol beer at 3-3.5% so all the advice you guys can give is good!!

Nothing wrong with sparging at 90-100*. For batch sparging it is ideal as it helps loosen the mash and rinse the sugars. There are some temps you need to keep in mind.

64-68* is the temp at with the enzymes convert starch into sugars.

78* is the temp that stops conversion

88* is the temp that tannins are released if left for a reasonable period

When you sparge with boiling water you need to remember that it will only increase your mash tun temps by a few *c, so you dont need to worry about tannin release

Got those number's thankyou!! Left my recipe under my other post regarding adding rice to the mash. Thanks for all advice. Looking forward to next brew day to try out proper methods and taste results for comparisons.

So you'd fly sparge with boiling water stu?
Mash conversion won't happen at 62 or 69?
Sorry mate but I disagree with your suggested ranges.

Yeah..you got me on a few *c at mash

But I did say "batch" sparging.

Fly Sparge...as most of us know....should be performed at a lower temp...

Well...those that fly anyway...

Back