Basic Question About Sanitising

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonez

Reaction score
Have been wondering for a while now, and thought I will ask what you do in this regards:

I have seen a few comments suggesting dropping your fermenter on a "cold bath as a cheap way to bring the temp down. I immediately think about the water making contact with the tap and contaminating it. More importantly, when taking samples for SG readings (or tasting if you wish) there is always a bit of drip from the tap and this bit of work in the outside of the tap could get bacteria. I imagine that they can make their way into the tank or contaminate the work that goes into conditioning when bottling. Do you guys take any measures to avoid contamination of the tap valve?

2 dollar spray bottle with star san and spray inside the tap

Well, I have better temp control so I don't have that particular issue, but yes - I do take precautions to avoid tap contamination:

I have removed all taps from my fermenters.

I rack my beer out with an autosiphon, which is a bit easier to control, sanitation wise.

The water bath is a good idea for constant temperature though, and you can easily replace some of the water as it heats up or cools down.

I have never really taken much precaution when it comes to cleaning taps after taking samples, etc. Never had an infection.

However I do remove the taps and sanitise them when I do the fermentor after each brew.

2 dollar spray bottle with star san and spray inside the tap

That little spray bottle is handy, on you hands and arms, when you go near the wort. Spoons, anything that goes near your brew that you cannot fit in the fermenter (either that or its just easier)

If you use starsan, just keep topping up the bottle, its supposed to be good until it goes milky white, although if you top your spray bottle up every brew day you will have a constant supply at hand immediately.

Oh yea and have buckets handy for detergent as well, nothing worse than wanting to clean something and you just tipped your cleaner out.

Cheers Mick.

I use a similar cheap spray bottle - and use metho.

I aslo use a bit of glad wrap around the tap (just in case a drop or two decide to leak out!)

No contamination issues thus far.

Latest posts

Back