Base Grains To Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
HI all.
Starting to go right into Ag and just wondering what grains to buy and what amount. Was thinking about 25kg of
pale
pils
wheat

and 2kg of
crystal
choc
and roast

Any other suggestions on something i should get

Cheers, Rob

berto said:
Any other suggestions on something i should get

[post="97987"][/post]​
I would certainly grab a bag of lite munich, one of my favourites. I like to grab a whole bunch of specialty grains. A kilo or two of whatever is available is good for me. All depends on how often you are going to brew and in what size batches. I just like to have a little of everything available. I wouldn't get a whole bag of wheat unless you intend to do a lot of wheat beers of course.

[edit]
2kg is a lot of roast or choc
[/edit]

Unless you are big on dark beers I would only grab 1kg max of roast & choc, a little can go a long way unless you make lots of stouts/porters.

Base malt is the one to go for you will make the biggest savings in getting this in bulk. I would get smaller amounts of others until you figure out what you use a lot of. I bought a bag of munich but it is taking me a long time to get through it, next time I will look to split a bag with someone.

Just buy 25kg of base and kilos of spec malts do not worry about getting it all in one hit your stock will grow and grow and grow you will end up with bags of 200grams here 750g there.
You are in sydney so ESB is your best bet they sell half bags to which is good for wheat munich just rock up with a couple recipes and you will have heaps

Berto .

75 kg is a lot of grain.to buy in one hit

they guy at ESB recommended the first few batches make the same recipe to get consistency and try something basic you may stuff up and dont want to waste a lot of raw material .

I would start with a half a bagof a pale malt and a kilo of crystal if you dont ike what you make you wont be stuck with it .

Pumpy

Latest posts

Back