Base Grains For Tassie Brewers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be out of the country for the next 3 weeks, but I still want in on the order :)

UPDATE!

As you know I was planning a bulk buy this month (March) due to BBY closing resulting in a loss of grain supply.

I have been keeping in contact with BBY, aand as many of you probbly know the info I had initially about them closing down is now not correct. BBY will be moving to new premises in two weeks somewhere in Moonah and will only be a homebrew shop (no more brew-on-premise).

As such I am suggesting we put the bulk buy on hold until BBY figure themselves out. What are your thoughts on this???

My reason for this is that I would rather pay a few dollars more for the convenience of having a HBS who supplies bulk grains than having to organise a bulk buy every 6-12 months.

I know Andrew doesn't have much in the way of knowledge in beer making, but he has been good to us by supplying bulk grains at reasonable cost (lets hope this can continue).

The bulk buy may still go ahead but it depends on what BBY do, I have spoken with Andrew on the phone recently and he would like an idea of what grains to order in the next week (I believe he will be ordering grains on a 3-4monthly basis).

My suggestion to him based on what others have said in this thread would be:
2 Wey. Pils (PJO, DJR)
2 Wey. Bo Pils (PJO, TasChris)
2 Wey. Vienna (PJO, +1)
1 Wey. Munich 1 (DJR_split)
1 Wey. Munich 2 (PJO_split)
2 Bairds MO (TasChris*2)
1 Bairds Perle (DJR)
2 JW. Pils (TasChris*2)
1 JW. Wheat (DJR)

I have put in brackets those that indicated interest in particular malts. I suspect he will get 4-5bags of JW Ale malt as he usually does and probably a bit more JW Pils malt.

If anyone other Hobart/Tassie brewers want to give me an idea of what they might like BBY to stock then let me know. Morrie0069 and dug, you guys indicated interest, but I don't know what grains you wanted.

Cheers,
PJO

Mate

I'm happy to get one bag of JW pils which from speaking to BBY seemed to be a regular stock item, and then get a bag of Weyermann Wheat from him as well. Just real "base" grains for me at the moment - i'm on a diet of brewing simplicity over the next couple of months.

I think the idea is good - since i'm happy to pay a little more to keep a local in business and for him to support the (somewhat small) mash brewing community in Hobart.

Now all we have to do is wait for the address of the new place in Moonah!

Hi Pete,

Haven't read the whole thread but i thought i'd better jump in and say i'll be in for 3-4 bags, not sure what at this point but you have my number give me a call when the time gets closer.

I'll have a look at what i need.....

Better late than never....

Daz

Actually i just checked the BBY price list and i'd rather go

1x IMC Pils 25kg
1x Hoepfner Wheat 25kg

But i might just sort it out directly with the shop once they have the address going, unless there is going to be a slight discount for doing a big order

PJO, I spoke with Andrew yesterday and asked if he could add some bags I was after on his next order.

All hobart hombrewers please support your local shops. If you want to know where BBY is moving to you can put your name and email down on a list at the store Andrew will mail you the new address when its all sorted out.

PJO, I spoke with Andrew yesterday and asked if he could add some bags I was after on his next order.

All hobart hombrewers please support your local shops. If you want to know where BBY is moving to you can put your name and email down on a list at the store Andrew will mail you the new address when its all sorted out.

So I gather Andrew hasn't moved yet??

I emailed him with the request list I posted above but have not recieved a reply.

Cheers
PJO

G'day All,

seeing as Andrew at BBY has moved and is putting a grain order in, the bulk buy is off.

Cheers,
PJO

Back