Barrett Burston

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Belgium Wit, 50% Galaxy Pils and 50% unmalted raw wheat converted very well, 68% mash efficiency. Can't complain about that :) . I am brewing a pilsner tommorrow night, 50% galaxy and 50% powells pilsner. I normally get 65% eff with this recipe using all Powells, I will let you know how my efficiency goes with the Galay added.

Cheers
Andrew

It appears I got 88.13% with BB ale malt on today's brew. :D

Showoff :lol: - i guess your slightly finer crush makes all the difference! Great efficiency for a batch sparger.... what was the difference between fly and batch sparging meant to be anyway?

Does anybody know what the DP is for the BB ale malt, i know that the Galaxy has a high DP but what about the ale? Just wondering how it would deal with a large adjunct ratio.

And does anyone know when the Quasar malt is going to be available?

Just curious ;) was that with Pro mash or Beersmith? Mine was with Beersmith, might put mine in Pro mash, and again <_< just curious.

Really just 88%, Bindi, using Promash. Not sure why it was higher than normal really. Make sure you set batch size to final kettle volume. Helps with efficiency. ;)

Really just 88%, Bindi, using Promash. Not sure why it was higher than normal really. Make sure you set batch size to final kettle volume. Helps with efficiency. ;)

Trickery Stu, Trickery :lol: My 77% efficient APA becomes 81% when i use your method! :beerbang:

It's the standard way, apparently, DJR. It's to help with recipe portability. Losses to trub depend on the system, so comparison of recipes using volume into fermenter wouldn't be very accurate. It also helps you get the right bitterness, as the extraction depends on how much is in the kettle, not how much makes it to the fermenter. And better efficiencey does mean mine is bigger than yours, doesn't it? :eek: :lol:

It's the standard way, apparently, DJR. It's to help with recipe portability. Losses to trub depend on the system, so comparison of recipes using volume into fermenter wouldn't be very accurate. It also helps you get the right bitterness, as the extraction depends on how much is in the kettle, not how much makes it to the fermenter. And better efficiencey does mean mine is bigger than yours, doesn't it? :eek: :lol:

Damn Stu now i'm going to have to get 90% efficiency using my new mill just to show you up :lol: And yes, i understood it was the way, i just never bothered to calculate my kettle loss properly. As long as you're consistent that's all that matters (ie. it's not how big you are but how you use it! :eek: ).

My Belgium Wit, 50% Galaxy Pils and 50% unmalted raw wheat converted very well, 68% mash efficiency. Can't complain about that :) . I am brewing a pilsner tommorrow night, 50% galaxy and 50% powells pilsner. I normally get 65% eff with this recipe using all Powells, I will let you know how my efficiency goes with the Galay added.

Cheers
Andrew

I brewed 2 seperate batches of my pilsner and achieved an Efficiency of 82% and 78% by using 50% Powells pilsner and 50% Galaxy pilsner, that's a pretty big increase from my normal 65% using all Powells, this Galaxy malt really has some grunt thats for sure.
The 82% grist was crushed a third time and was very fine, so it just shows that a better crush makes a big difference too.

Cheers
Andrew

It's certainly a popular malt - I've sold nearly a sack a day since stocking it :)

I add a couple of kilos to most brews now to aid efficiency...

cheers Ross

Looking forward to collecting my couple of sacks tomorrow.

Batz

Can someone please help me out with the BB malted wheat specs.

I can't seem to find them anywhere.

cheers
johnno

Whats the difference between BB Pale and BB Galaxy?
Cheers
Steve

From what I've been told, the pale is the lightest malt available from them, whereas the galaxy is touted as somewhat of a 'multi-purpose' malt depending on the temp it's mashed at. I've achieved some very different results from Galaxy at different ends of the mash temp range. It is supposed to have a very high diastatic value as well, and I get pretty good efficiencies with it. Apparently a good malt to use with those malts with low diastatic value.
I have yet to get hold of any of the pale however to be able to compare.

From what I've been told, the pale is the lightest malt available from them, whereas the galaxy is touted as somewhat of a 'multi-purpose' malt depending on the temp it's mashed at. I've achieved some very different results from Galaxy at different ends of the mash temp range.
I have yet to get hold of any of the pale however to be able to compare.

Thanks for that ...so both would be suitable for pilseners/lagers? Anyone got any spec sheets for them..Cant find anything on google.
Cheers
Steve

Back