Barrett Burston

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coodgee

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've done a pretty good search of ahb and can't find a thread discussing the pros and cons of this malt. This thread is for those that have used Barrett Burston malt to report on;

1. flavour.
2. clarity.
3. efficency
4. overally impression.

I am interested in your impressions particularly of;

a)ale malt
b)pale malt
c)galaxy malt
d)caramalt
e)wheat malt

please post how you think this malt stacks up against the other more "popular" malts like JW, Weyermans, powells etc.

thanks guys ;)

I'm half way through a bag of BB ale malt. I've found it fine, with no big difference to JW trad ale. But, I've used it in a couple of APAs and in a Cal. common which had lots of Munich and a fair bit of crystal so I couldn't really say I knew exactly how this tasted. Efficiency is the same as with JW, much better for me than with Powells. (Never used Weyermann as a base malt). Clarity has been good. Overall, it's worth a try.

Just starting to use some.

Made this APA last weekend. Just finished fermenting. Will rack to secondary soonish.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 94.5 %
0.25 kg Powells Caramalt (Powells Malt) (22.0 EBC) Grain 3.9 %
0.10 kg Powells Wheat (Powells Malts) (2.0 EBC) Grain 1.6 %
28.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 15.6 IBU
28.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (30 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
28.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
28.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (5 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
41.00 gm Cascade [6.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

And am making this Aussie ale this weekend.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 96.5 %
0.20 kg Powells Caramalt (Powells Malt) (22.0 EBC) Grain 3.5 %
28.30 gm Pride of Ringwood [9.00%] (60 min) Hops 24.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Thames Valley Ale (Wyeast Labs #1275) [Starter 1400 ml] Yeast-Ale

I got better efficiency that the Powells. Like Stuster says it is about the same as JW.

I hope to report back with good news.

cheers
johnno

Used BB's Cryer Galaxy for the first time yesterday. Crush and sparge, same result as Powells, efficiency into the kettle up from 66.5% to 73%

BB galaxy is excellent for high adjunct mashing
the pale ale malt is also really good IMO

cheers
johnno

I thought you were on a back-imposed brewing hiatus Johnno? How is your back now? Hope it's better. :unsure:

Good to see you're back in the saddle. :)

Edit: I've used BB Galaxy before a couple of times too. It's a top-notch Pils malt that will convert readily in 30 mins. Also handles a 30%+ adjunct load with ease.

IMO It's a redoubtable if you're contemplating a wit. Just doesn't appear to be readily available these days. :ph34r:

Warren -

it's still avail Warren and Quasar is on it's way (from a galaxy far far away)

cheers
johnno

I thought you were on a back-imposed brewing hiatus Johnno? How is your back now? Hope it's better. :unsure:

Good to see you're back in the saddle. :)

Warren -

Hi Warren,
Nearly "back" to normal duties. :lol:

I am getting a mate to help out. Tried to get him to do a double brew day this weekend but he chickend out after seeing what was involved last weekend.

Funny how they love drinking your beer but shy away from helping out making it. <_<
At least one brew is better than none. Got him booked out for a few weeks. need to use all the grain lying around in preperation for the move later this year.

cheers
johnno

Funny how they love drinking your beer but shy away from helping out making it. <_<

Know that story well Johnno. In fact it always pays to quote the kid's fable "The Little Red Hen". Sorry for going all ABC For Kids on you. There's relevance in this analogy. Sort of. :lol:

Once upon a time there was a little red hen. It was a sunny day (in spring). There were many big trees and a large brown field. The little red hen wanted to plant the wheat. Beside the field the cat, the dog and the duck looked at the little red hen.
The hen asked: Who's going to help me plant my wheat?
The duck said: Not I!
The dog said: Not I!
The cat said: Not I!
So the hen replied: Then I'll do it myself.

So the little red hen did all the works alone.
Then summer came. The wheat was ripe and yellow and golden. It was a
hot sunny day.
The hen asked: Who's going to help me chop my wheat?
The hen replied: Then I'll do it myself.

So the little red hen did all the work alone.
Then the little red hen filled the corn into sacks and wanted to carry them
to the mill.
The hen asked: Who's going to help me carry the wheat?
The hen replied: Then I'll do it myself.

So the little red hen did all the work alone.
Then the little red hen baked a wonderful brown bread.
The hen asked: Who is going to help me eat the bread?
The duck answered: I will !
The dog answered: I will!
And the cat answered: I will!
But the hen replied: No, I'll do that.
So the little red hen did, and ate the bread alone.

Warren -

sad that the hen has to eat alone... table for one tonight Ms. Hen?

I've used a few bags of the BB Ale malt and reckon it's a great malt, and good value as well.

Two thumbs up.

Warren,
The hen should have made a wheat beer to go with the bread.
You might have to change it so they all have a drink and live happy ever after..

Johnno,
Getting your mates to brew is hard.
Getting them to clean and bottle is harder. :D

Luke

Edit: I've used BB Galaxy before a couple of times too. It's a top-notch Pils malt that will convert readily in 30 mins. Also handles a 30%+ adjunct load with ease.

Hey warren, what was this grain like flavour wise for the pils? And would the Galaxy be better then the pale malt for pils/lagers?

:beer:

Hi guys, I've done a pretty good search of ahb and can't find a thread discussing the pros and cons of this malt. This thread is for those that have used Barrett Burston malt to report on;

1. flavour.
2. clarity.
3. efficency
4. overally impression.

I am interested in your impressions particularly of;

a)ale malt
b)pale malt
c)galaxy malt
d)caramalt
e)wheat malt

please post how you think this malt stacks up against the other more "popular" malts like JW, Weyermans, powells etc.

thanks guys ;)

The Galaxy & the Wheat look ok? Has anyone tried the others?

Barret and Burston have been around for a long time and like JW and IMC produce quality malt from Australian barley.
Galaxy is a quite wonderfull and unique malt.
I understand that it was developed from "the ground up" to satisfy the Japanese Market, and one brewery in particular. The Japanese taste is for very clean very dry beers which use the absolute minimum of filration consistent with that clear beer they look for. Galaxy fullfills all these specs and more.
It will produce very dry beers so mash a bit high if you want to go 100% (unless you want a very dry berr derrr!!). It makes an excellent "mash improver" and is worth it just for that. Be warned though it converts very quickly so care is required with strike temperature.

Kurtz

[

The Galaxy & the Wheat look ok? Has anyone tried the others?

The ale malt I think is awesome I'll vouch for it no probs at all. I find it softer and rounder than the JWM trad ale with a bit less colour and lacks a little bit of that 'robust meaty' almost biscuity character I have found the JWM trad malt can have. I use both JWM trad and BB ale depending what I'am making but i' prefer the BB ale for a paler or softer ale and use the JWM for more robust maltier beers but also interchange between them depending what way the wind blows my skirt up. Anyway I use both of them and love them, BB ale and JWM trad that is. On the other hand when it comes to the BB pale malt i think the JWM export pils has given me better results in the past.

By the way excellent post re the galaxy Dr K.

Boozed, broozed and broken boned
Jayse

Well I bottled my APA that I posted earlier in this thread. Bottled it last Saturday.

Tried one today and although very low on the carbonation the beer seems awesome.

I have no problem at all with this brand of malt and will continue to use it whenever I can.

Actually made another APA today with it.

yum yum :wub:

cheers
johnno

Back