Barrett Burston

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might help Steve. The Galaxy for sure would be OK for lagers, mash it low. The pale I would assume would be OK, but I haven't used it yet.

Cheers for that domonsura :beer:
Steve

Steve

The "Pale" is close enough to Joe White Pilsner in my opinion. Basically a workhorse lager malt that can also work pretty well in lighter ale styles.

Actually a bloody nice base malt.

Edit: My knowledge of Galaxy is that it's a very pale, quick converting pilsner malt that's designed for a lot of Asian breweries who use large amounts of adjunct like rice.

Edit: Edit: "Pale" is not to be confused with "Ale" which is basically BB's take on a British Pale Ale malt. Not too bad also.

Warren -

i've used the galaxy in wits, faux lagers and pale ales. i like it. it is very light in colour.

I've been using Galaxy in my lagers/pils all year and can't fault it.

Thanks for the info guys.....Galaxy it is.
Cheers
Steve

Hey guys,

Just a quick note to say looking at the malt specs provided by Ross and others, the Beersmith website specs for B&B malts appear wrong. The Beersmith entries list the diastatic power in very high numbers (Lintner), and I noticed these are similar to the degrees WK numbers that the malt analysis provides.

To convert degrees WK to degrees Lintner, the formula is (WK+16)/3.5 = Lintner. Thus a listing of 275 degrees lintner in Beersmith sounds extreme as very high protein 6-row lager has ~160. I think the degrees WK have been copied directly into the spot for degrees Lintner. Thus for example 275 would be (275+16)/3.5=83 degrees Lintner.

This makes more sense.

Cheers!

MFS

Back