Bar tab app for Android?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hey all

Currently when people get a house beer from one of the taps in my garage they put a mark next to their name or a gold coin donation.
There's a $20 or 14 day credit limit - whichever comes first.

Would be nice if there was some sort of android app for this.

I've had a look around the play store and the best I can find is this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rawrapps.bartabtracker

Works pretty well - you just put someone's name instead of a drink.

But it's not really ideal - as the total owing per person isn't shown - just says 4 @ $1 for example. Which obviously is easy to work out - but would be nicer if it were able to be seen easily with a quick glance.

Anyone have any apps that would suit my needs?

There is a thread here somewhere i tried to find, it's about a system for measuring kegs and how many beers are left. The best looking system has swipe cards for your mates to run and the taps won't pour till they are swiped. I have a two idealpos point of sale systems in the shed that will do the same thing, but it'd cost more than you want to spend.

At some point you will be crossing the line between collecting donations and selling...

At that point a whole lot of people become very interested in what you are doing. And not in a good way.

Cheers
Dave

At some point, yes. But not at the moment. At the moment it's just donations....

Racking up a formal "donations tab" with a required donation per pour and credit limits... that line is getting a touch blurry.

Just sayin...

Sounds a bit like the "voluntary donations" we make to our kids schools. ;)

Exactly. They're voluntary. They can't take you to a debt collection agency if you don't pay (like a business could). They just stop supplying your children with a seat at the school, or in my case, beer. haha

Liam_snorkel said:
might be some ideas in this thread. stop being such a jew.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/72471-how-to-get-mates-to-pay/
Yep - sums it up. Make them pay.

I can't afford to keep supplying beer to about 7 different people for free. And I'm not just talking about 2 glasses a week. Often it's 10 or more, per person, every week.

Shit starts to add up. I'm not selling to make a profit. I'm selling so to buy more equipment and ingredients so they can continue to drink beer for $1 a pint. Cheaper than any pub I've ever been too. Cheaper than any supermarket unless you're buying some watery crap that tastes like pond water.

Boy you are popular!

Martin_Prince_Pool.png

Seriously.... as soon as you start asking for money and refusing to supply if there is no payment - that's selling.

There was a case in QLD a year or so back where someone ended up getting done under the licensing laws for what you are doing.

If your mates are drinking you dry then they are taking advantage.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Seriously.... as soon as you start asking for money and refusing to supply if there is no payment - that's selling.

There was a case in QLD a year or so back where someone ended up getting done under the licensing laws for what you are doing.

If your mates are drinking you dry then they are taking advantage.

Cheers
Dave
And what do you suggest then? Stop supplying them with booze, free or not? I enjoy making beer, and enjoy other people drinking it, but for the moment I cannot afford to supply their alcoholic needs from my own pocket.

The money doesn't go to me. It actually goes to the LHBS for ingredients and just now a fermenter. I never see the money.

Would they still be your mates if you stopped supplying them with beer?

Back to the original post, If there is an app for android which reliably lets you run and edit excel spreadsheets you could easily make one and use that. If not, if you have a hotmail email address you may be able to use microsoft skydrive and the excel web app. It won't be pretty but it would work.

Your mates need to learn to show a little restraint...

Setting a limit of X drinks/day is perfectly acceptable. Its just the money changing hands thing that will get you in trouble.

And if your mates are suddenly no longer your mates when you tell them they can't just come over and get pissed whenever they want... then they were never your mates. If they offer to buy you a batch of ingredients every few weeks, then that's perfectly OK. You just can't ask for money.

All it takes is for someone who works at a local pub to get wind of it (loose talk at the bar) and they will have the cops called on you. Or a jealous neighbor.

Cheers
Dave

It doesn't matter what you do with the money: put it in the bank, buy supplies, throw it over the back fence, etc.

You are treading a fine line between asking for donations for alcohol and selling alcohol without a license (and now you've put a thread about it on the Internet - he he)

Sounds like you are willing to run the risk so ignore everyone telling you not to do it.

If a person was really hesitant about accepting money, get your mates to go to the LHBS and pay for and pick up your order. They would be gifting you with grain then. It may also have the result of them being less keen to keep drinking your free booze if they had to make an effort.

If I had 7 mates that were drinking that much for free and not compensating me fairly off their own back, and I had to devise some payment tracking system, I would find some new friends. Life's too short (and my wallet too light) to cope with free-loaders.

My neighbours won't give a toss. They're mostly asians and keep to themselves - except for the hawking....

Yes they'd still be my mates if I stopped supplying them beer. They'd still come round but they'd bring some store bought bollocks. As I said - I'm not in it to make money (at the moment - end game will be - once I'm licensed etc then everything will change haha) but for the moment I just want to recuperate some costs of the house beers on tap so they can come and enjoy a pint or 10.

I've paid for the Office for Android app. I guess I could just use that - could idea!!

Cheers.

angus_grant said:
It doesn't matter what you do with the money: put it in the bank, buy supplies, throw it over the back fence, etc.

You are treading a fine line between asking for donations for alcohol and selling alcohol without a license (and now you've put a thread about it on the Internet - he he)

Sounds like you are willing to run the risk so ignore everyone telling you not to do it.

If a person was really hesitant about accepting money, get your mates to go to the LHBS and pay for and pick up your order. They would be gifting you with grain then. It may also have the result of them being less keen to keep drinking your free booze if they had to make an effort.

If I had 7 mates that were drinking that much for free and not compensating me fairly off their own back, and I had to devise some payment tracking system, I would find some new friends. Life's too short (and my wallet too light) to cope with free-loaders.
Point taken. Hypothetically - what if money never left my friends hands - but there was just a tally made somewhere/somehow. And in the weekend I went to the LHBS and my mates gave me $20 each to buy them some grains....haha

Latest posts

Back