Bar Fridge Might Fit Two Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible/easy to straighten the freezer plate in a bar fridge with internal freezer, without cracking it and leaking refridgerant everywhere?
I'm not meaning to troll, and I'm not totally niave about refridgerant and overly sensitive fridge compressors etc. It's just that I have a bar fridge that is just begging to be used for brewing but it won't fit fermenters or kegs unless I remove the door lining and re-shape the freezer plate.

Any advice?
If I'm way off, feel free to point it out, (I'll just don my flame suit)

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

I bought one second hand that had already had this process done, so yeah it's possible. Not sure if it's possible with every fridge though.

yeah i did it with my bar fridge without even thinking about it, seemed like youd really have to try to break anything in there. That's my fridge though, and my experience, yours may vary :)

I did it to mine. Just go nice and slow and put a bit of timber or something behind it (to support it) when you are bending.
I used it as my keg fridge (2 kegs) before I got my Chest freezer. I now use it as a fermenting fridge.

barfridge.JPG

Wow, thanks guys!
I was expecting it to be really hard and people to say "You really shouldn't muck with this stuff, it's not safe"
Obviously I will look into it further before diving in but your responses are very encouraging!

Jono.

Wow, thanks guys!
I was expecting it to be really hard and people to say "You really shouldn't muck with this stuff, it's not safe"
Obviously I will look into it further before diving in but your responses are very encouraging!

Jono.

Nobody said it was safe

I did it to mine. Just go nice and slow and put a bit of timber or something behind it (to support it) when you are bending.
I used it as my keg fridge (2 kegs) before I got my Chest freezer. I now use it as a fermenting fridge.

Ah Crap! :eek: I shouldnt have given away that free barfridge i was given.... CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP! Could have had the purrfect fermentation fridge/party kegging fridge!!

A bar fridge that is just the right size to hold one fermenter is an awesome thing to have. Set whatever temp you want, crash chill by just adjusting the temperature. Bloody awesome.

A bar fridge that is just the right size to hold one fermenter is an awesome thing to have. Set whatever temp you want, crash chill by just adjusting the temperature. Bloody awesome.

yeah, problem for me was the compressor hump and the freezer plate, anything above the hump would hit the plate. Bunnings/coopers fermentrs wouldnt work (diameter too wide) but LHBS jobbies where ok. as for kegs, hit the freezer plate by around 2cm :(. Initial idea was.... should i? then i thaught if i bugger it, no one will take it.

Oh well! I'll just wait till i eventually get a chest freeser and convert my upright to a fermentation fridge.

I started off with a bigger upright, I think 350L from memory, and it could still only hold one fermenter. The freezer was useless. Bit of a waste of space. I got an old bar fridge off someone off here indirectly (someone else bought some gear and gave me the fridge for like $20 from memory).

It's so good, to the point where I've built a garage bench with enough room underneath it for two bar fridges side by side, so I'm gunna try and get another bar fridge of similar size.

Originally I was going to get an upright freezer that could hold several fermenters but then you can't individually control temperature. I reckon an array of bar fridges is the best way to overcome this and you can usually get them really cheap, even on ebay. Just get the really old ones no one wants.

Latest posts

Back