Ballarat Graduate Certificate Of Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malt_shovel

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for location of the topic, feel free to move as appropriate

To all those who have completed the graduate certificate or diploma in brewing at Ballarat Uni, could you please give some feedback for someone considering the course. It is not cheap ($8400) for a predominantly online course, so I would like to know from folks who would either recommend to do it, or some other course.

Thanks in advance
:icon_chickcheers:

Apologies in advance for location of the topic, feel free to move as appropriate

To all those who have completed the graduate certificate or diploma in brewing at Ballarat Uni, could you please give some feedback for someone considering the course. It is not cheap ($8400) for a predominantly online course, so I would like to know from folks who would either recommend to do it, or some other course.

Thanks in advance

What are you hoping to achieve by doing the course. If you want to make brewing a profession i'd say its certainly worthwhile. If you just want to learn more as a homebrewer i probably wouldn't recommend spending that amount of cash.

Good point from yum yum yum. I am at Ballarat Uni full time (doing different degree)...I spoke to the brewer out there a few years ago and he was really nice and easy going but he did not recommend doing the course if it is for homebrew purposes, it is pretty full on and from what I remember he said it was specifically aimed at a professional level.

Don't let that stop you though, get in contact with them and see what they have to say...as I said it would be a couple of yeasr since I spoke to him.

Good luck

Good luck. it might be worth seeing if you can get some credit points for experience. I got half my course credited when i showed them evidence of my industry experience. Photographic proof of throwing up in mates car, pissing on own shoes and regular eating of souvlaki's after midnight.

What are you hoping to achieve by doing the course. If you want to make brewing a profession i'd say its certainly worthwhile. If you just want to learn more as a homebrewer i probably wouldn't recommend spending that amount of cash.

Yep, shoulda qualified the question. I am considering the move into brewing as a profession (currently working in another industry), but wanted to educate myself on what I would need to do to make a success of it before I jump ship. Online is the preferred method so I don't need to cut ties with my current work situation.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cheers

Yep, shoulda qualified the question. I am considering the move into brewing as a profession (currently working in another industry), but wanted to educate myself on what I would need to do to make a success of it before I jump ship. Online is the preferred method so I don't need to cut ties with my current work situation.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Cheers

....G'Day malt_shovel

.....How confident are you of the beer you make now and your understanding of the brewing process both thoeretical and practical..??...maybe you should consider the 5 day short course first...??...Bradford Tetlow,who is involved with the brewing program at Ballarat Uni (one of the nicest people in the brewing industry) once told me that the 5 day course also tends to inform some people who enrol why they shouldn't become brewers...this could save you a lot of money....as someone who has made the jump to pro brewing, i have to put my hand up and say i currently have no formal brewing Qualifications although i am now studying the IBD courses some 2 years after i started brewing for a living....prior to the career change i had made myself a competent and confident brewer to the point where i was a very low risk for prospective employers ...
..no doubt, formal Qualifications can only help , but, if you don't have it in you, no course will make you a brewer....you either are, or you aren't....brewing for a living is much more than the romance of mashing in....it is hot , cold, at times very uncomfortable and mundane work , with long hours and tight deadlines,where the money is not that flash, in a very competitive industry with machinery that will need constant attention and repair, where near enough is never ever good enough particularly with cleaning and sanitation etc etc...and where 'commercial realities' invariably make decisions for you....

...if you can handle all that , go for it....I did and my family and I haven't looked back...

hope this helps

Cheers
Scott

Just for interest sake what is approx salary for an entry level brewer vs an experienced one?

snipped>
where near enough is never ever good enough

Excellent post Scott.

Many brewers even home brewers would not trust other people to do work for them when it comes to the no compromises approach.
Now being the OP asks the question here it may lead some to think he has not done enough of his own homework and if you can't do enough of your homework and put in the hard yards on your own then maybe it is not for you.
When Scott says 'you either are, or you aren't' if you really are then my opinion is I believe you should beable to answer this question on your own, if you can't then maybe you aren't.

Excellent post Scott.

Many brewers even home brewers would not trust other people to do work for them when it comes to the no compromises approach.
Now being the OP asks the question here it may lead some to think he has not done enough of his own homework and if you can't do enough of your homework and put in the hard yards on your own then maybe it is not for you.
When Scott says 'you either are, or you aren't' if you really are then my opinion is I believe you should beable to answer this question on your own, if you can't then maybe you aren't.

Cheers Scott for the insight and Jayse for your thoughts.

Will take it all on board.

I see this as part of my homework, so will see how we go.

Cheers again

If your thinking about getting involved in the brewing industry, then definitely! I'm doing it now (started this year) off the back of 2 bachelor degrees I've finished previously (Chemistry and Business/Management). Soon I'm planning on making the move to the industry (I'm currently in the water treatment science industry). Ideally I'm looking to either working as a brewer at a micro, or a lab/research tech at one of the big boys.

As for the course itself, the science is quite in depth and I'm very grateful for having a science background as most processes in brewing are biochemical. The lecturers, Pete and Frank are fantastic blokes, and Bradford (who isnt a lecturer per se, but is heavily involved, and handles most of the operations in the teaching brewery as well as being chief steward at the beer awards, which is a good fun four days, but hard work!) as mentioned before is one of the nicest people ever.

But yeah, this course is definitely aimed at people who are serious about being commercial brewers! So if you decide to take the plunge, good luck! Oh and you can get comm support for the fees, which is just like HECS, so mine is just making a big debt even bigger :p

I finished the course at the end of last year and have made the career transition from IT to brewing via commercial Wine and Vinegar making with my brother (also ex-IT). I now brew Prickly Moses beer at Otway Estate with Luke Scott.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else on here. If it's just for home brewing then save your money and educate yourself through books and personal experience. If, however, you want to do what I've done then definitely...I've found that having the scientific knowledge up my sleeve has assisted in making me a better brewer in the creative sense. Armed with the science, my craft is improving dramatically.

If you're interested in trying brewing on commercial scale equipment, we're running a "Brewer's Experience" in November where we will be doing a special single batch that's brewed by the attendees totally hands-on. It's hosted by me and we'll also be doing a beer and food pairing degustation dinner with our awesome chef afterwards. Drop me a pm if you want more info or I will be at ANHC so come find me and say hi.

/plug

Cheers!

Hendo

Definitely consider the one week short course first.

Ha Hendo you actually got the course finnished!, I did the res school with you and am in the throws of finnishing off the last unit now. Will have to catch up for a beer when your in Melb next.

As for the course, yep its well worth it if you have vission of going a step further than plastic buckets in the back shed. I think I recall a fair part of the res school being along the lines of dont be a brewer if you want to make the big bucks. I already had a science degree so quite enjoyed the week, and the beers that went with it. Also Pete A and Bradford T are awesome blokes. As for the price, just put it on HECS and forget about it.

Cheers Darren
I finished the course at the end of last year and have made the career transition from IT to brewing via commercial Wine and Vinegar making with my brother (also ex-IT). I now brew Prickly Moses beer at Otway Estate with Luke Scott.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone else on here. If it's just for home brewing then save your money and educate yourself through books and personal experience. If, however, you want to do what I've done then definitely...I've found that having the scientific knowledge up my sleeve has assisted in making me a better brewer in the creative sense. Armed with the science, my craft is improving dramatically.

If you're interested in trying brewing on commercial scale equipment, we're running a "Brewer's Experience" in November where we will be doing a special single batch that's brewed by the attendees totally hands-on. It's hosted by me and we'll also be doing a beer and food pairing degustation dinner with our awesome chef afterwards. Drop me a pm if you want more info or I will be at ANHC so come find me and say hi.

/plug

Cheers!

Hendo

Just for interest sake what is approx salary for an entry level brewer vs an experienced one?
I'm looking at doing the course. Anyone know what salary is like for a brewer?

Head brewer at say Little Creatures then 100 plus grand, brewer at Billy Joes bar and brewery then 1/3 of that, does that help?

Firstly, sorry to bump a thread that is getting close to 4 months since the last post. I confess I haven't been around much, but thought I should at least add my 2c worth :)

As the above posters have mentioned, the course is aimed at those who are looking for a job in the industry (though homebrewers with a large disposal income are rarely turned away).

Having no formal Science or industry background, I elected to move to Ballarat to do the full Science Degree with the Certificate In Brewing Units as an elective stream. This was definitely the best option for me as the foundation science and being on campus made it much easier for me. That said, people who have signed up and have industry or science background have mostly found it challenging but doable if it's something you really want to do.

I no longer work at the Uni (I eventually had to get a real job) but I'm quite happy to attest to the value of the course. The guys I went through Uni with, or have seen go through the Grad Cert work, or have worked in breweries such as Blue Tongue, Otway Estate, Malt Shovel, Thornbridge (UK), Burleigh Brewing, 3 Ravens, Sunshine Coast, True South, Two Brothers, Coopers, Lion, Colonial, Mountain Goat, AIB, Little Creatures, White Rabbit, Hargreaves Hill, Flying Horse, to name but a few. It's a well respected course, and if you're looking for a job, it's likely you'll be hired by someone who has done it.

I gave up a well paid job in telecoms engineering in 2004 to chase this dream. Today, I'm almost earning as much as I earnt back then (almost), and I wouldn't swap it for the world. The brewing scene in Australia is full of great and genuine people from the big breweries down to the smallest. Having run the logistics arm of AIBA for 4 years I got to meet an awful lot of them, and without exception they're a bunch of great people. Yes it is hard work, yes there is a lot more cleaning and fixing than brewing, yes, alas, you end up having to make what people drink, not what you like. But it is a great job in a great industry.

The money? I've known starting salaries that range from $35,000 to $50,000, and it often depends on the size of the brewery you go to work for (though not always). Don't scoff at working for the big boys at the start of your career though. They pay well, offer excellent training and you'll have access to people who know more about brewing that you can imagine. The training you'll get from a quality control aspect is unmatched. But there are plenty of micro's that have their eyes wide open and the experience to match.

The short course is a really good option of you're in doubt. It's very cheap for what you get, it will help you if you apply for the Grad Cert and while it's a long week, it is a lot of fun. It will also open your eyes to the real science behind brewing, which help some people decide to stay homebrewers. I think Peter usually opens the course with the question "Why are you all so eager to ruin a perfectly good hobby?"

The short course has become so popular that the Uni now runs a second course in conjunction with Massey university in Palmerston North. Far be it for me to suggest the kiwi's need an aussie to teach them how to brew (especially now I live here).

I hope that helps from a slightly different perspective. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you might have, but I reckon most people on the board who now work in the industry will support my comments. Just make sure you go in with your eyes wide open!

Bradford

If you were going to start off on a small scale brewery as a project would it be necessary to do this course or is it only to get your foot in the door at a well established brewery?

I would say that nothing is mandatory for either path, however as they say: knowledge is power.

Or in the very least - knowledge can save you money and/or time, both of which could increase your profits VS revenue.

If you were going to start off on a small scale brewery as a project would it be necessary to do this course or is it only to get your foot in the door at a well established brewery?

I'm about to do my last 12 months in the mining industry on some pretty good $$ to chase the dream - I've done the hard yards and will spend the last 12 months in Indonesia then come back to do the course and go from there.

Sometimes life is all about chasing your dreams even if it doesn't come with a huge pay packet...

Back