"bad" Beer Ingredients

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pimpsqueak

Barbeerian
Reaction score
I know there are a whole lot of things you could put in your beer,but just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
I'm planning a Christmas ale for next year and was thinking about putting a Christmas cake in the mash.
What's the go with putting stuff like eggs, milk and margarine/butter in the mash? Are there certain key foodstuffs that will completely ruin the beer?

Are there certain key foodstuffs that will completely ruin the beer?

Yup - a cake.

How about just putting the significant flavour aspects of an Xmas cake in - like the fruit and spices? Leave out the things that shouldn't be in beer, like fat. Xmas cakes are GREASY.

EDIT: some of that disgusting fake almond essence should emulate that revolting marzipan perfectly. Not sure how you could get those little silver balls that crack ya teeth in your beer.

you are joking right?

:blink:
Hell no.

At the Castle Hill comp, one of the specialty beers was a Christmas ale that had a whole Christmas cake in the mash and it scored really well.

Yup - a cake.

How about just putting the significant flavour aspects of an Xmas cake in - like the fruit and spices? Leave out the things that shouldn't be in beer, like fat. Xmas cakes are GREASY.

EDIT: some of that disgusting fake almond essence should emulate that revolting marzipan perfectly. Not sure how you could get those little silver balls that crack ya teeth in your beer.

Yeah, that's my plan B. Use the key ingredients, might give the little plastic reindeer a miss though.

I was thinking about putting chips and dip in the mash for my case swap beer. Then I wouldn't need to bring any nibbles to the party....

Other cultures dump all sorts of animals in their rice wine to bring courage, fertility or strength.
I was thinking the Aussie version could be putting a red haired (courage) bogan child (fertility) with 10kg DME (for strength) in my next Brew.
Can't possibly take this thread seriously!

Any other suggestions?

What about adding a fistful of panadol to ward off any potential headaches the following morning?

Other cultures dump all sorts of animals in their rice wine to bring courage, fertility or strength.
I was thinking the Aussie version could be putting a red haired (courage) bogan child (fertility) with 10kg DME (for strength) in my next Brew.
Can't possibly take this thread seriously!

Any other suggestions?

Sure you can take this thread seriously.
Dogfish Head made their Egyptian ale with the help of a whole stack of loaves of bread. Anyone can go to coles, buy a loaf or 3 of bread and throw it in the mash. But there are all sorts of variations of ingredients in different loaves.
I can make bread at home in my breadmaker, but I usually have some olive oil in there. Is olive oil bad for the beer or not?

Sure you can take this thread seriously.
Dogfish Head made their Egyptian ale with the help of a whole stack of loaves of bread. Anyone can go to coles, buy a loaf or 3 of bread and throw it in the mash. But there are all sorts of variations of ingredients in different loaves.
I can make bread at home in my breadmaker, but I usually have some olive oil in there. Is olive oil bad for the beer or not?

IMHO, any "oils or fats" would be prone to oxidation...speculation on my part..but i'm still having trouble with the concept.
I'll leave this one for the experts!

There are countless things people do with beers. I wouldn't say anything is a "bad" idea, just maybe not the "best" idea. I have all intention once this watermelon passionfruit wheat is done to go a xmas beer. And a whole small xmas cake will be in the mash no question.

Yup - a cake.

I've made a couple of spiced ciders for christmas with the same spices I used in my christmas pudding which worked beatifully. I'd be interested to know how a christmas ale turns out using those spices (or a whole cake).

I'm very intrieged.

Surely this thread is going down the path of "i put a cock in mee ale"

Oh sorry, OP posted cake

tnd

EDIT: If you are realy going to do that (cock/cake ale) then make a very small batch as it is only christmas once a year

Surely this thread is going down the path of "i put a cock in mee ale"

Oh sorry, OP posted cake

tnd

EDIT: If you are realy going to do that (cock/cake ale) then make a very small batch as it is only christmas once a year

Seeing as I was the last one to make a post about cock ale, it'll come as no surprise that I'm thinking about doing a christmassy stout for next year using some of the fruit mix from the christmas puddings. I've got some left over from 2 years ago soaked in Inner Circle OP Rum that I was going to use in some mince tarts, but using it in beer seems more interesting somehow. No flour, eggs or butter involved though.

Don't you put your cock in my ale, even a small Christmas batch!

Actually, I have a spare cock.

We got some chick that they hatched at kinder - 2 out of 3 look like being cocks. No eggs from them, so if anyone wants one to put in their ale....

T.

Don't you put your cock in my ale, even a small Christmas batch!

Actually, I have a spare cock.

We got some chick that they hatched at kinder - 2 out of 3 look like being cocks. No eggs from them, so if anyone wants one to put in their ale....

T.

Hey Dr Tom C.

Are you sure?

tnd

I say go for it, didn't that Mountain Goat, Moon Dog and Matilda Bay collab have Waffles in? And that was a damn tasty brew.

Why would you do it? Because you can.
Who needs another reason?

Back