Bad advice, yes? No?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treefiddy said:
Toast is typically mashed during the mastication process, so probably.
Mmm... some sort of PB&J chicha. Delicious.

Too much fat and oil in the PB might lose head retention

To get the strong biscuity notes coming through, at which stage is best to add the Girl Guide biscuits?

Adr_0 said:
To get the strong biscuity notes coming through, at which stage is best to add the Girl Guide biscuits?
Depends on the girl's guidance

Went into the local hbs and was interested in one of the fwk that they have there. The Riggers Black Ipa. Been meaning to do a black ipa for a while and asked about it. They happily printed out a recipe for me. My advice is that if you and your brother don't trust the local hbs for advice on small things like yeast , then you need to find one you do trust. Then they can guide you/him through the finer points of brewing as my local has.

Back in my kit and kilo days I used to go to a home brew shop near the vic markets who shall remain nameless (subtle) and they had run out of safale so told me to use the wit bier yeast because it was basically the same thing. The beer tasted even worse than I had expected and so I went down to grain and grape and asked if a wit bier yeast was basically the same thing as a ale yeast and the bloke behind the counter took me to the fridge out the back and asked why they would stock 20+ types of yeast it they all did the same bloody thing?

I have never looked back.

When I was just starting out I would listen earnestly to what my LHBS owner told me, until he said malt doesn't add any flavour to beer just colour. Even as a beginner I realised how bad this advice was but he's a friendly guy so I still go in but now I just pick my own stuff and ignore his advice.

I wonder how many potential brewers are put off by bad advice/instructions. My first ever beer was a K&K Cerveza brewed to instructions at January ambient temps. If I thought that was as good as it got I would never have made another beer because I don't like the taste of carbonated camel's piss.
It's in the interest of LHBSs for their customers to brew excellent beer that makes the time and effort of brewing pay dividends.

My first brew I did was ok . The guy at the LHBS was very nice he actually drilled a hole in the top of the fermenter lid so I could insert an immersion heater set at a good Lager and Ale temp of 22* C + . What a nice guy . Found out later he rarely brews . After finding this site I pulled out the immersion heater threw away the lid and started using glad wrap and a temp controlled ferment chamber. Thanks to all the bloggers on this site and all the other sites out there I now make a beer that is worthy to pass on to my friends. :p

Cheers

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. :ph34r:

Bad advice exists. No surprises there.

This thread would have a lot more purpose if the perpetrating LHBS was "named and shamed", as long as it's not conjecture.

Conjecture? On the internet? Have you lost your mind, good sir? :D

WTF is some one doing in a shop of any kind if they don't understand what it is they are selling.......you don't have to brew to have some knowledge of best/better practise.
The problem is too many people still think homebrew is for 'cheap drunks' who really don't give a shit what they drink as long as it gets them pissed.
Find a good HBS if you can and stick with them.
I have to rely on the internet for postal goodies, so everybody on here is my LHBS....generally I get good advice, no where near enough samples though.

beer belly said:
My first brew I did was ok . The guy at the LHBS was very nice he actually drilled a hole in the top of the fermenter lid so I could insert an immersion heater set at a good Lager and Ale temp of 22* C + . What a nice guy . Found out later he rarely brews . After finding this site I pulled out the immersion heater threw away the lid and started using glad wrap and a temp controlled ferment chamber. Thanks to all the bloggers on this site and all the other sites out there I now make a beer that is worthy to pass on to my friends. :p

Cheers
I was checking out a LHBS when i told the guy my setup is a fridge, heat pad and temp controler. He smirked and said get rid of that and stick an imersion heater in the FV instead!
My heat pad rarely turns on when i set the temp at 19-20 anyway.

Dan Dan said:
Gav, is this the shop near my place?
No mate, it's near my brothers place. It's well known to people on here but im not going to say. Im just recommending to my brother to get the ingredients he needs and to not listen to the guy in there.

Hey bmarshall

It sounds like the same brew shop. What area are you in ?

Latest posts

Back