Babbs Systems Wars For The Qld Homebrewing Conference

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah only rained kittens and airlocks here, worst over - hopping into shower then on my way.

Good luck today guys, may the best system win... Well, either that, or the Ghetto Boys.

Sad I can't be there today to repesent the system that allows me to brew while at work, but am confident that Dave will do a good job either way.
Am having an awesome time here in Berlin though, sampling a few German IPAs tonight, didn't even know they existed.

sampling a few German IPAs tonight, didn't even know they existed.
Looking forward to sampling yours in BABBs MiniComp later this month! :D Seriously, neither did I, what will they think of next??!! :icon_cheers:

Heading around 930- 1000, a few things to straighten out here before I can go.

Apologies, won't make it to the Capalaba battlefield now as I've had some transport strife, the chariot's bloody alternator has packed it in by the looks- just put four new tyres it on yesterday an' all! :angry:

Popped in for some sorghum syrup for a GF beer for a mate.

Laughed myself silly at the fact that the power kept tripping and a simple purchase took 20 mins because poor Ross' computers kept shutting down due to power overload on the circuit. And his saying "why didn't anyone bring gas?". He's right, though.

Then looked at the "ghetto brew" fermenter. That ain't ghetto, it's gold class compared to my 2 pots on the stove.

Wish I could have been there start to finish. SWMBO in the car and quick purchase meant nope.

Goomba

The ghetto was definitely a spectacle.

I cant believe the ghetto lads were cubed and drinking beer before the braumeister and the BIAB were even properly boiling.

I have videos of the day, but cant upload them, got terrible bandwidth, will do it on monday at work.

Dropped into archive on the way home and tried the Blackbeard IPA. Very nice, like that bit of roasted malt over the top of it.

Even the mrs seemed to think it was nice - spat when I got her a S&W Lager. I've trained her better than I thought.

Goomba

I went down ,but had to go early could only stay around untill the ghetto brew system was all finished, but it was an awsome thing to see that a brewery that cost no more than $40-$50 could have its brew done and dusted when two of the others were just starting to boil properly. The three vessel was not too far behind when I left, but it definitely was a sight to see, great day. :beerbang:

Yes 2 mayo tubs, a kettle element and ...

Actually I don't know why I typed that "and" because that was it :lol: Not even a half decent bag.....

Will be interesting to see how it stacked up against the $2500 worth of advanced tech.

Hey LRG you should have announced yourself around, would be good to put a face to the name.

Yes 2 mayo tubs, a kettle element and ...

Actually I don't know why I typed that "and" because that was it :lol: Not even a half decent bag.....

Will be interesting to see how it stacked up against the $2500 worth of advanced tech.

Hey LRG you should have announced yourself around, would be good to put a face to the name.

You were busy trying to get the over-the-side element sorted (and Ross running around trying to get power to stop cutting out) :D - no-one likes brewday interruptions.

I would have, but had SWMBO in the car (and on strict instructions), and if I had, I'd have spent an hour talking shop. But next time for sure.

If there's ever a ghetto system wars (though I think I'd still be slower than the mayo bucket), I'd be happy to bring the pots and butane stoves down.

I bet you didn't know yourself brewing without polenta :ph34r:

Cooking some rice in the micro for a soghum and rice faux-lager for my GI mate. Kind of a surprise whilst he's away on camping with his mrs.

Goomba

All done and dusted by 2.30pm.... Most of the boys then headed into various drinking establishments...

Thanks to Ross for donating ingredients, allowing us crash his shop and fermentation room and bugging his staff etc....and for the power outages....Oops. :ph34r:

What a day.... 2 systems done in 3 hrs, 2 in 4hr....4 cubes waiting to be pitched (the pre-heated water really cut down the brewday.

Really looking forward to tasting the lot at the conference.

Thanks to all the participants and for all the guys who came down for a chat and a sticky beak...It was great talking to you all.

Cheers,

PB :kooi:

I cant believe the ghetto lads were cubed and drinking beer before the braumeister and the BIAB were even properly boiling.

looking forward to the pics n vids :icon_cheers:

is it all done and dusted ?
what were the official placings ?

cheers

looking forward to the pics n vids :icon_cheers:

is it all done and dusted ?
what were the official placings ?

cheers

Um, Yardy... the brews haven't started fermenting yet. You are waaaaaay too impatient.

All done and dusted by 2.30pm.... Most of the boys then headed into various drinking establishments...

Thanks to Ross for donating ingredients, allowing us crash his shop and fermentation room and bugging his staff etc....and for the power outages....Oops. :ph34r:

What a day.... 2 systems done in 3 hrs, 2 in 4hr....4 cubes waiting to be pitched (the pre-heated water really cut down the brewday.

Really looking forward to tasting the lot at the conference.

Thanks to all the participants and for all the guys who came down for a chat and a sticky beak...It was great talking to you all.

Cheers,

PB :kooi:

I'd forgotten about the pre-heated water otherwise I'd have gotten there sooner instead of leaving Brad do all the work. Pity about that, athough I did stir the kettle twice ;) .
Coming soon to a retailer near you - Ipswich Getto BrewerysTM (POA).

Thanks all, was a great day and very educational.

Big thanks to Bribie G for talking me through BIAB and showing me how it's done (not to mention the fact sheet).

With Anthony's great help I have my own BIAB setup. Hoping it rains tomorrow so I can't do the gardening and get to brew instead.

Thanks for putting up with us Ross - the more excuses I have to visit the better (for me and your sales figures).

Cheers,

Ed

Laughed myself silly at the fact that the power kept tripping and a simple purchase took 20 mins because poor Ross' computers kept shutting down due to power overload on the circuit. And his saying "why didn't anyone bring gas?". He's right, though.

Goomba
Big thanks to Dave for all his work organising this day! Another big thanks to Ross and team CB for their support.

You were not the only one laughing when the power kept cutting out actually mine was more of a snigger.

Oh and you should have had a better look the 3V system was not effected by the power outages because that big hot burny thing under the kettle was a rambo burner powered by gas :rolleyes:

Probably one of my quickest brewdays ever. And the mash tun was clean mid boil. Probably had a five minute clean up after the cube was full :beerbang:

Cheers

nah mate, meant time placings ;)
I don't want us giving everything away as I'll be doing a session at the conference on the whole day etc... but a few details and a few photos is cool..

Ghetto guys - cube lid screwed on in under 3 hrs.....from Mash In. Now that is fast.....

PB

Good fun seemingly had by all. Was great to drop by for a couple of hours to see how the non HERMS people brew... ;)

Cheers

Everyone in your home state thinks you're a wanker too...

LOL, plus eleventy billion.

Tim, I still want to check out that (not so) ghetto system of yours. Are you going to the case swap?

Back