Babbs Mash Paddle Beer "chocolate Winter Warmer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Planning on taking the silverware are we Paul?! :icon_cheers:

Nah I lack the creativity, I think it will be one of the full time brewers who'll take the title, although I wouldn't mind one of Brown Dogs mash paddles.

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Snow, I so hope you win man,

I wanna see Eagle Heights throw 45 large Toblerones in the kettle :lol:

PB

Yeah - this thought had crossed my mind. I can only imagine the mess they'd leave behind after seeing my kettle after just 2. But I figured there's no way I would win, so I thought "what the hey!".

Cheers - Snow.

Yeah - this thought had crossed my mind. I can only imagine the mess they'd leave behind after seeing my kettle after just 2. But I figured there's no way I would win, so I thought "what the hey!".

Cheers - Snow.

Don't sell yourself short Snow, It could easily be a pearler.

Andrew

Don't sell yourself short Snow, It could easily be a pearler.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Don't know about a pearler, but it'll certainly be chocolatey! and very alcoholic.....

My choco RIS def needs some lactose to give it that creamy mouthfeel I was after, so another batch will be needed. Its amazing all the unwanted crap produced by bunging in some dark chocolate (375gm) - and other stuff :eek:

My choco RIS def needs some lactose to give it that creamy mouthfeel I was after, so another batch will be needed. Its amazing all the unwanted crap produced by bunging in some dark chocolate (375gm) - and other stuff :eek:

I was trying for that "velvety" mouthfeel, so I added 750g of rolled oatmeal to the mash. Interesting to see how it turns out, as I went for pretty high bitterness (74IBU).

- Snow.

I was trying for that "velvety" mouthfeel, so I added 750g of rolled oatmeal to the mash. Interesting to see how it turns out, as I went for pretty high bitterness (74IBU).

- Snow.

Forgot damm it, I'd bought some quick oats about a month ago just for that purpose :angry: .

. Its amazing all the unwanted crap produced by bunging in some dark chocolate (375gm) - and other stuff :eek:

Just checked a choc stout. First time in this sort of territory for me. Couldn't believe the gooey, cruddy crap from that sucker. Its like a new born.Pound for pound, in and out.....brrrrr....horrible!.
Hope it tastes good ( like babies smell nice) with all that going on. :icon_cheers:
Daz

BribieG type post...

My chocolate sour orange belgian. Looking very chocolatey at the end of the boil.

Chocolate Sour Orange Belgian
My sour orange belgian with a chocolate hit

Recipe: Sour Orange Choc Belgian
Brewer: Mooshells
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 33.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 42.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3500.00 gm Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (5Grain 54.95 %
1800.00 gm Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 28.26 %
300.00 gm Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (15.0 EBC) Grain 4.71 %
300.00 gm Special B Malt (300.0 EBC) Grain 4.71 %
170.00 gm Carafa Special I (Weyermann) (630.4 EBC) Grain 2.67 %
15.00 gm Southern Cross [14.80 %] (45 min) Hops 21.7 IBU
5.00 items Sour Orange Rind (Boil 75.0 min) Misc
500.00 gm Dark Chocolate (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
800.00 ml Sour Orange Juice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
800.00 ml Sour Orange Juice (Boil 75.0 min) Misc
300.00 gm Brown Sugar, Light (50.0 EBC) Sugar 4.71 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Schelde (Wyeast Labs #3655PC) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 6070.00 gm
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 18.00 L of water at 70.5 C 65.0 C

Notes:
------
Caramelized brown sugar and 800ml juice and 5tsp rind with some water. Added 100g Dark chocolate. Added 2L first runnings and boiled for 90 mins.
Boiled 800ml juice for 2 minutes. Added @end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well it looks like mine has finished fermenting 1094 down to 1011. :eek: Just about to go and drop the temp in the ferment fridge. I think this one will have to go into bottles :icon_drunk:

Bugger it, all the uncertainty over my relocation to Italy has screwed up any chance now of getting a brew in on time. Was thinking a Maibock or Hellesbock spiced with Cocaa Nibs and fresh Chilli. Was going to call in Choc Shock Bock. Was hoping for a total mind f#ck as suggested earlier - light coloured beer with a chocolate background and a surprising heat at the finish. Would have made sense for a Queensland winter, which is typically clear and sunny rather than dark and depressing which is the rationale behind most traditional Winter Warmers.

Good luck everyone else; hopefully I'm around to taste some of the entries.

Edit: spelling

Tasted some awesome Chocolate beers last night boys. :beerbang:

Very Impressed.

Actually...A bit daunted really. I was going to brew my first attempt this weekend sometime.

If mine turns out as good as some of the ones I had last night...I'll be wrapped.

Can't wait for the taste off. :icon_drool2:

PB

Tasted some awesome Chocolate beers last night boys. :beerbang:

Very Impressed.

PB
Agreed mate, Tasted one that had a nose that was absolutely to die for :icon_drool2:
some very fierce competition on this one

Agreed mate, Tasted one that had a nose that was absolutely to die for :icon_drool2:
some very fierce competition on this one
Bloody Rosco :angry:
Oh well, back to the Brewkettle!

Well it looks like mine has finished fermenting 1094 down to 1011. :eek: Just about to go and drop the temp in the ferment fridge. I think this one will have to go into bottles :icon_drunk:

FAAARK!

yeah but we all know ross cheats... :lol:

For my second attempt I'm going with a similar stout grain bill to the first (just remembering the oatmeal addition this time <_< ), but fermenting it with a Trappist yeast. "Funked over Chocolate Stout" anybody?

Having a go today too B) .....just transferring choco goodness to the kettle now.

Probably gunna use the yeast left over from the wild brew project.

Belgian Chocolate - yum.

PB

Latest posts

Back