Babbs Mash Paddle Beer "chocolate Winter Warmer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to the LHBS tomorrow to get some hazelnut from his impressive range of flavouring bottles for the distilled water and herbal essence practitioners here on the island ;) and will bottle my Choc Port Hazelnut brown ale - I haven't tasted it yet, not even the hydro sample because I want it to surprise me (one way or the other) after a couple of weeks in the bottle. It was borderline 6% so I tossed in the bottle of port into the fermenter towards the end to make sure :)

Going to the LHBS tomorrow to get some hazelnut from his impressive range of flavouring bottles for the distilled water and herbal essence practitioners here on the island ;) and will bottle my Choc Port Hazelnut brown ale - I haven't tasted it yet, not even the hydro sample because I want it to surprise me (one way or the other) after a couple of weeks in the bottle. It was borderline 6% so I tossed in the bottle of port into the fermenter towards the end to make sure :)

Gee, ramping that up to a commercial scale would be interesting :) .

That did occur to me as well, you can get port in 44 gallon drums I believe. In the Northern Territory the local politicians used to send them out to the Indigenous Communities at election time, till Brough spoiled it all. :p

That did occur to me as well, you can get port in 44 gallon drums I believe. In the Northern Territory the local politicians used to send them out to the Indigenous Communities at election time, till Brough spoiled it all. :p

Ah yes, 'Turkey Creek Reserve' - absolutely top shelf stuff.

Well it looks like mine has finished fermenting 1094 down to 1011. :eek: Just about to go and drop the temp in the ferment fridge. I think this one will have to go into bottles

For my second attempt I'm going with a similar stout grain bill to the first (just remembering the oatmeal addition this time <_< ), but fermenting it with a Trappist yeast. "Funked over Chocolate Stout" anybody?

Having a go today too B) .....just transferring choco goodness to the kettle now.

Probably gunna use the yeast left over from the wild brew project.

Belgian Chocolate - yum.

PB

Sorry guys already been done :rolleyes: . Might have to crack one open easter sunday to see how it tastes. MMMMMMM 11/12% Belgian Dark Tripel Chocolate on a sunday morning.

Sorry guys already been done :rolleyes: . Might have to crack one open easter sunday to see how it tastes. MMMMMMM 11/12% Belgian Dark Tripel Chocolate on a sunday morning.

Much better than "chocolate" eggs - could be the start of a good tradition Brad, get served a few Choc Triples in bed for breakfast then pass-out "most excellent" :party:

Brewed my entry on friday, lots of cararye and even chocolate rye for colour and flavour, with 5 mins to go I chucked 375g of cocoa powder into the kettle, hahaha.... as soon as it hit the wort it coagulated into big lumps that I had to break up, it looked like lumps of shit in shit soup............. I hope it tastes better than it looked :blink:

cheers

Browndog

My first attempt seems to have had most of the chocolate stripped out after having a big choc aroma going into primary. Will double choc next time.
Does 1056 have a rep for this, perhaps? Anyone else getting this? :icon_cheers:
Daz

Couldn't help meself and had to have a taste of the Belgian Dark Tripel Choc. Was not carbonated at all but was nicely chilled, was a slight choclate on the nose but better flavours whilst drinking then a big choclate hit at the finish with a lingering hazelnut flavour be f34cked where that came from. Did I mention the slight port flavour. Tasted like a chocolate beer wine if that makes sense.............time for a lye down.........oh dear

Couldn't help meself and had to have a taste of the Belgian Dark Tripel Choc. Was not carbonated at all but was nicely chilled, was a slight choclate on the nose but better flavours whilst drinking then a big choclate hit at the finish with a lingering hazelnut flavour be f34cked where that came from. Did I mention the slight port flavour. Tasted like a chocolate beer wine if that makes sense.............time for a lye down.........oh dear
:lol:

I had to filter my effort to remove the yeasty/choc mud which also removed a fair bit of the chocolate aroma/flavour, there is also a touch of vegemite in there which was as welcome as a poo in a swimming pool but not enough to ruin it, still has a fair whack of choc aroma/flavour - just have to consume 19 litres of the 9.5% stuff so I've got a keg for the next batch. What are you doing over Easter ;)

Since its Easter on Sunday was thinking of putting on the Winter Warmer An appropriate time for a Chocolate Brew

First stab at a stout I want a lot of smoothness in there. Concerned about harsh flavours using black malt and roasted barley.

Interesting how Ross doesnt have any Wyeast Irish ale in stock at the moment

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Double Choc Eised Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: Oatmeal Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 19.00 L
Boil Size: 25.05 L
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 75.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 76.19 %
0.50 kg Oats, Flaked (2.6 EBC) Grain 9.52 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC) Grain 4.76 %
0.20 kg Chocolate Wheat Malt (788.0 EBC) Grain 3.81 %
0.10 kg Barley, Flaked (3.3 EBC) Grain 1.90 %
0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 1.90 %
0.10 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 1.90 %
50.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 25.9 IBU
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (20 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Salt (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
400.00 gm Melted Liquid Chocolate (Primary 0.0 min) Misc
400.00 ml Espresso Coffee (Primary 0.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 5.25 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Saccharification Add 13.70 L of water at 74.7 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

Notes:
------
14 Days in Primary at 16.5C
2 Days in Secondary at -16C
28 Days Lagering at 4C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol:

I had to filter my effort to remove the yeasty/choc mud which also removed a fair bit of the chocolate aroma/flavour, there is also a touch of vegemite in there which was as welcome as a poo in a swimming pool but not enough to ruin it, still has a fair whack of choc aroma/flavour - just have to consume 19 litres of the 9.5% stuff so I've got a keg for the next batch. What are you doing over Easter ;)

I seem to hav' been a tad harsh on this batch, vegemite is fading off to the nose as it clears itself up and the chocolate is reasserting itself. I'm still doing an upgraded Belgian version but this is emerging as a pretty good beer, might even make the cut as a easy drinking choc-alco fest beer. :chug:

I seem to hav' been a tad harsh on this batch, vegemite is fading off to the nose as it clears itself up and the chocolate is reasserting itself. I'm still doing an upgraded Belgian version but this is emerging as a pretty good beer, might even make the cut as a easy drinking choc-alco fest beer. :chug:
Just had a swig of the starter wort before I pitched mine....mmmm Belgian :icon_drool2:

I think I have done the wrong thing by bottling my effort. At 11/12% I doubt this puppy is going to carbonate by may :( ....But it was tasting fantastic last time I tried it.

Brad

Bottled up both the White Chocolate Spiced Bock and the Chocolate Sour Orange Belgian today.

Hard to know what I think of them so far. The bock in particular, mainly because I have no real idea what it should taste like. Tastes kind of like a spiced bock at the moment which I guess is just right, I'm just not sure of the chocolate part so far...

Just got to wait to sample a carbed version now...

Ben, looks we'll have 2 sour Choc Oranges competing... brewing this one tomorrow:

Sour Orange Chocolate Porter II
Robust Porter

Type: All Grain
Date: 13/04/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Ross
Boil Size: 30.08 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: My Equipment
Brewhouse Efficiency: 55.00

Amount Item Type % or IBU
0.25 kg Rice Hulls (0.0 EBC) Adjunct 2.03 %
6.50 kg Golden Promise (5.9 EBC) Grain 52.85 %
1.30 kg Caramalt (Barrett Burston) (49.3 EBC) Grain 10.57 %
1.30 kg Munich Malt II (23.0 EBC) Grain 10.57 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 8.13 %
0.80 kg Brown Malt (128.1 EBC) Grain 6.50 %
0.50 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 4.07 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC) Grain 2.03 %
0.25 kg Chocolate Malt pale (886.5 EBC) Grain 2.03 %
0.15 kg Carafa II (811.6 EBC) Grain 1.22 %
84.00 gm Northdown [5.80 %] (80 min) Hops 40.8 IBU
0.75 kg Dark chocolate 72% cocoa (Mash) Misc
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
28.00 gm Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
400.00 ml Sour orange (5 oranges) (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Edit: Possibly dry nibbed with cacao nibs

cheers Ross

Edit: Possibly dry nibbed with cacao nibs

cheers Ross

Love it! I hereby give you the 'Ross Method of Dry Nibbing'

:p

Cheers!

My chocolate port wine hazelnut brown ale has turned out tasting like a Sumo Wrestler's jockstrap. Think I might dip out on this one, however the thought of a toucan Coopers headbanger choc hazelnut appeals B)

My chocolate port wine hazelnut brown ale has turned out tasting like a Sumo Wrestler's jockstrap. Think I might dip out on this one, however the thought of a toucan Coopers headbanger choc hazelnut appeals B)

Its a sad sad day. :(

Why reinvent the wheel Bribie! It was already a winner! :beerbang:

plenty of time to rebrew Bribie, as i am :)

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back