Babbs Mash Paddle Beer "chocolate Winter Warmer"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ben, looks we'll have 2 sour Choc Oranges competing...

cheers Ross
That's a bit of bad luck Ben looks like yours might get mistaken for Ross's & get shit canned :huh:
I'll be brewing a chocolate Berliner Weiss just so everyone knows which one is mine :p

:icon_cheers:

Paul

That's a bit of bad luck Ben looks like yours might get mistaken for Ross's & get shit canned :huh:
I'll be brewing a chocolate Berliner Weiss just so everyone knows which one is mine :p

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Come Paul at least be a bit adventurous - turn the kettle on for 30 minutes! :rolleyes:

My biggest concern is wether or not it will have enough carbonation in time. The chocolate is not in your face chocolate but it is there....so is the winter warming. Had a bottle as a night cap on the weekend and half an hour later was laxed in the couch and happy. Took me back a few years, almost as good as hash oil :ph34r: :wacko:

I have carbonation. I have chocolate. I have a beer that I will bring on Thursday... Yum

Well I just poured a sampler of my choc winter warmer and it was OK, but didn't have the grin factor for me. I poured a small glass for the missus to try, she had a sip wrinkled her nose and left the rest. 10 mins later I grabbed the glass and downed it and OMG, when it warmed up the rich chocolate combined with the 8.5% alcohol and rye notes to taste absolutely bloody awesome........ IMHO that is. Odds on it will be shit canned per usual. ;)

cheers

Browndog

So what is the requirement with entering our beers this month. As it is not a brew that is set to a guideline. How is it too be judged? Do we enter it as a specialty with a description of what we were trying to acheive?

Requirements are at least 2 bottles, as one will be required for judging by Eagle Heights Brewery,
The club judging will really just be for a bit of fun on the night & basically scored on drinkabillity & marked down on any faults.
So yes, a full descriptor of the beer & what you were trying to achieve will be welcomed on both bottles

cheers Ross

Well I was going to pull out of this one, since it ended up an pretty okish choc RIS but not what I was aiming for and certianly not as good as some of the contenders that I've had a preview of, still might put a bottle (2) just to make up the numbers.
I was too traumatised by chocolate by-products in the kettle and fermenter to do another one :blink:

winkle (with a small w), Perry don't despair - enter. If I recall the essential criteria (Ben will correct me if I'm wrong) was that the ABV to be >6% and include chocolate. Reading between the lines the recipe is to be produced commercially ie 5 or 25 HL. Therefore I would assume (that word, be saleable to the last drop and for the customer drinkable again and again). So, when the customer fronts up to the bar the second time he says, "I'll have another pint and a "lady pint"for my friend".

This is the worst editor I've seen anywhere in thelast forty years. Can we have something that us old-timers can use that doesn't make us want to put an axe trough the screen?

HD

Well I kegged my Imperial chocolate vanilla bourbon toblerone creme de cacao oatmeal stout 2 days ago and tasted it last night. WOW!! at 10% ABV it is more like a roasted chocolate liqueur than a beer, but I have to say (and so did my wife) that it is freaking awesome! So smooth, so complex (8 different malts), so in balance (in my opinion). I don't think it would be commercially viable to make, but hey - what do I care - I have a whole keg of the stuff! Woohoo! :super:

Cheers - Snow

I have been a bit worried about mine not carbing up. I get a little Pffft when I crack the cap but thats it. No carbonation as such. This is a 13.5% beer that without carb is closer to a wine/port and in IMO great at around 10 degree. Cant wait to keep trying it over the next few years.
Which brings me to how long will a beer at 13.5% without carbonation last without going off/stale, it has been bottled for natural carbonation but I am now hoping it doesnt carb up if it doesnt effect the beer. In fact I am hoping it will age like a Red wine or Port.

Cheers Brad

I can't believe the interest that this challenge has aroused.

Cheers

Paul

I have been a bit worried about mine not carbing up. I get a little Pffft when I crack the cap but thats it. No carbonation as such. This is a 13.5% beer that without carb is closer to a wine/port and in IMO great at around 10 degree. Cant wait to keep trying it over the next few years.
Which brings me to how long will a beer at 13.5% without carbonation last without going off/stale, it has been bottled for natural carbonation but I am now hoping it doesnt carb up if it doesnt effect the beer. In fact I am hoping it will age like a Red wine or Port.

Cheers Brad

Yes Brad, I was wondering the same thing myself, how a big chocolate beer would age. I guess we will find out.

cheers

Browndog

Yes Brad, I was wondering the same thing myself, how a big chocolate beer would age. I guess we will find out.

cheers

Browndog

With that ABV it should last for years.

when's the judging fellas. Im keen to see results and recipes.

Ive only tasted one entry for this comp it was pretty epic IMO.

when's the judging fellas. Im keen to see results and recipes.

Ive only tasted one entry for this comp it was pretty epic IMO.
Been and gone CM2. The winner was Tony Brown with a Chocolate Rye Winter Ale.
Delicious it was too!

Other personal highlights included Ross's Sour Choc Orange Porter and Bradsbrews Chocolate Russian Imperial to name a couple, although I'm not sure how the latter fared at judging.

Been and gone CM2. The winner was Tony Brown with a Chocolate Rye Winter Ale.
Delicious it was too!

Other personal highlights included Ross's Sour Choc Orange Porter and Bradsbrews Chocolate Russian Imperial to name a couple, although I'm not sure how the latter fared at judging.
hmm I must have missed that page. will have a look. it is a trawl through the thread job for the receipes? or are we waiting for nationals to come and go before we see the recipes?

It was Ross' sour choc organge i got to taste whilst staying at chappos last week. epic. i loved it. made me desperate to try your sour orange beers.

Only the club judging has taken place - The official winner that hopefully gets their beer produced commercially is still pending.

cheers Ross

Only the club judging has taken place - The official winner that hopefully gets their beer produced commercially is still pending.

cheers Ross

Any update on this?

This challenge was fantastic and has produced my favourite beer that I have brewed ,personal satisfaction wise. Will be putting down another batch this friday, might even end up a chrissy swapper or it may sit in the cupboard for a couple of years.

Cheers Brad

Yes Brad,

Beers getting judged by the platform bar at one of their club nights. Winner will be supplying a keg for the platform bar.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back