Babbs January Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really had a great time at my first ever Babbs meeting. Great bunch of blokes, and with common interests.

Looking forward to becoming a member and brewing for comps soon.

Great to meet some of the newer faces, and great to catchup with the regulars! Have no idea how I pulled out a second place in the minicomp, but was beaten by a far superior beer. Spot on Aussie Pale Dave, really nice. Winkle and Bribie were making some interesting noises when tasting it, so it must have been good ;)

Cheers

I assume that by PB you are all refering to pocket beers? .... and in which case after sampling more than a few of his variations of Australian Ale over the last year I can safely say that he sure knows how to make a great one.

BribieG ducks out to car to get violin:

There are times at comps and minicomps when a beer is so spot on and hits the tastebuds so perfectly that everyone at the table says "man, I've got to brew this next" and your Aussie was one of them. The other one in my experience was Browndog's APA at the BABBs annual that flipped me over to attempting an APA - I ran one up before Christmas and the keg got drained by friends and family like a pack of hyenas. Second one about to go into CC on Monday.

PB - recipe please? Particularly hopping schedule and temperatures as the pear was spine tingling.

< violin back into case>
I'm glad people enjoyed it. Such a simple recipe...and cheap too (if you don't count the six-pack :rolleyes:).

Recipe: Toybox Sparkling Ale
Brewer: Dave
Style: Aussie Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 31.90 L
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) Grain 90.43 %
0.40 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) Grain 8.51 %
0.05 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) Grain 1.06 %
25.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.8 IBU
15.00 gm Pride of Ringwood [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
1 Starter Coopers Ale (from bottle) (Coopers #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body = 63.0 C and mash out.

Change bittering addition up or down to hit target 35 IBU. Eg. last year it was 30g of 8.3%AA.

Important to drink 3 stubbies of Coopers Sparkling or Pale Ale and grow up the dregs in a 600ml starter for 48-72hrs.

Pitched @ 18degrees - hold Ferment at 18-19 for 4 days, then let it get up to 20 for 2days, Took out of fridge on Day 6.
Kegged on day 7. It's a malt muncher :p .

Takes 2 weeks for this beer to meld - mainly for that late addition of hops to settle and make way for the esters to really shine.

Enjoy :beer:

PB

PB
I don't normally swear but I must have said the **** word ten times when I read your post.
Brilliant as lighting flashing over Mount Zion.

My urn quivers in anticipation and my POR and BB Ale are currently organising escape committees to get out of their bags to get into the brew :chug:

BribieG ducks out to car to get violin:

There are times at comps and minicomps when a beer is so spot on and hits the tastebuds so perfectly that everyone at the table says "man, I've got to brew this next" and your Aussie was one of them. The other one in my experience was Browndog's APA at the BABBs annual that flipped me over to attempting an APA - I ran one up before Christmas and the keg got drained by friends and family like a pack of hyenas. Second one about to go into CC on Monday.

PB - recipe please? Particularly hopping schedule and temperatures as the pear was spine tingling.

< violin back into case>

Hmmmm....... I think I am going to have to bring in a rule where if a table gets a beer that good, they have to call in the stewards for a sample.

-BD

Hmmmm....... I think I am going to have to bring in a rule where if a table gets a beer that good, they have to call in the stewards for a sample.

-BD

Twas good... it was almost a unanimous exclamation of "pear" with a big smile on our faces when the aroma was judged.

I remember also saying, "i thought i didn't like aussie pales... well going to have to make one now!"

Brilliant example of style

-BD

Easy to tell when its a good beer BD, the jug is empty before the writing is finished ;) .

Brad - pumpkin anything it is, Queensland Blue lager?

Results of the January Pale ale and bitters competition are as follows due to Ross pulling his beers from the comp on a technicality (which may or may not come up for discussion at a future meeting)

1st place Dave Clarke, Aussie Pale Ale 42pts

2nd place Nick Barnes, Blonde ale 39.5 pts

3rd place Chris Ossowski, English Bitter 37 pts

4th place Michaek McShanag, ESB 36 pts

5th place Angus Rich, Aussie Pale Ale 35 pts

Congrats to Visitor Branton O'Leary with 40 pts for an English Bitter, better get that membership form filled out Branton.

A reminder there is no comp in february, with an american ales comp in march

cheers

Browndog

Hey guys,

what was the Mash Paddle style announced?

- Snow.

Hey guys,

what was the Mash Paddle style announced?

- Snow.

Pumpkin beer... anything to do with pumpkin, except no pumpkin pulp in kettle (or Johann will hunt you down :ph34r: )

Thanks Argon. Might give that one a miss then :icon_vomit:

Cheers - Snow.

We all know that fruit doesn't belong in beer, who's bright idea was it to include a vegetable?

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Argon. Might give that one a miss then :icon_vomit:

Cheers - Snow.

I thought the same thing Snow. But then I did a bit of reading and thought it might be interesting to see how it turns out. Might only do a small batch in case though.

I'm thinking that a Rauchbier with roast pumpkin and mushy peas in the mash would excite our German friends :)

Results of the January Pale ale and bitters competition are as follows due to Ross pulling his beers from the comp on a technicality (which may or may not come up for discussion at a future meeting)

1st place Dave Clarke, Aussie Pale Ale 42pts

2nd place Nick Barnes, Blonde ale 39.5 pts

3rd place Chris Ossowski, English Bitter 37 pts

4th place Michaek McShanag, ESB 36 pts

5th place Angus Rich, Aussie Pale Ale 35 pts

Congrats to Visitor Branton O'Leary with 40 pts for an English Bitter, better get that membership form filled out Branton.

A reminder there is no comp in february, with an american ales comp in march

cheers

Browndog

When I was looking for candles the other week I found six bottles of Aussie Sparkling in a wardrobe from July. I entered one in the minicomp for comments only and it scored 37 :p :p :p

Latest posts

Back