Babbs January Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill make myself known and bring a few for testing and comments.

Only K&K though atm, bnut got all the gear to go to AG, just need to get some hands on experience watching/doing a batch to see how its done.

Ill take you up on a (hbrew) beer for sure nick!

Sounds good mate!

Will have my name badge on - Nick Barnes.

You should tag along to the Redcliffe brewday on the 22nd - StillScottish will be brewing a Wee Heavy and a Scottish 80/, and I'll hopefully be bringing the HERMS and brewing a double batch of American IPA to split with Winkle....

Details in this thread. Happy to give you a lift there and home as well if you're in Brissy, will be leaving from Camp Hill....let me know!!

Cheers

Cheers for your hospitality nick! Ill check my calendar and let you know!

Awesome. If you can't tell, I haven't been to BABBs in a while, and I'm excited ;)

Hi im not sure if there is a thread about brewing legislation....but
i am living next to someone with nothing better to do. He claims i am
selling home brew which im clearly not. Does anyone know of any
home brew legislation in a vague attempt to shut him up.

Any info is appreciated.....F all i want to do is brew beer it isnt agianst
the law!!!!

Chris
:kooi:

Hi im not sure if there is a thread about brewing legislation....but
i am living next to someone with nothing better to do. He claims i am
selling home brew which im clearly not. Does anyone know of any
home brew legislation in a vague attempt to shut him up.

Any info is appreciated.....F all i want to do is brew beer it isnt agianst
the law!!!!

Chris
:kooi:

Chris, a little off topic in the BABBS thread, so please start a new one if you want more answers.

Simply.... If you are selling your homebrew it's illeagal. If you are not selling it then it's legal & you have nothing to worry about.
No amount of brew legislation is going to make an iota of difference if your neighbour believes you are selling it.

Cheers Ross

Is there a link to the BABB beer classes style guidelines somewhere? Or just the relevant sections for the January Pale and Bitter MiniComp would be super. (Not a member yet!)

Hey all,

I'm pretty keen to meet to meet up with other brewers, particularly North-side - I'm near Samford.

Checked out the web site, and noticed nominations are required. Hopefully obtainable on the night????

Hoping to meet some of you there,

Cheers

Sean

Hey all,

I'm pretty keen to meet to meet up with other brewers, particularly North-side - I'm near Samford.

Checked out the web site, and noticed nominations are required. Hopefully obtainable on the night????

Hoping to meet some of you there,

Cheers

Sean

Will be good to see you there Boondy. Just rock up as a visitor then put your membership application at the next meeting. Dont worry too much about the nominations .............they let winkle join :D

Plenty of northside brewers.

Cheers Brad

Will be good to see you there Boondy. Just rock up as a visitor then put your membership application at the next meeting. Dont worry too much about the nominations .............they let winkle join :D

Plenty of northside brewers.

Cheers Brad

Only after much argument :p

Excellent, thanks for that.
Looking forwards to meeting a few of you there.

Excellent, thanks for that.
Looking forwards to meeting a few of you there.

Is it just me or at BABBs should we be wearing a second set of name badges with our AHB handles on?

Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers (BABBs) monthly meeting will be held Thursday January 27, 2011 at Lynndon Bowls Club, Galsworthy Street, Holland Park, Qld. Arrive 7:30pm for an 8:00pm start.

Visitors are always welcome. Bring along a few tallies to share and compare.

2011 Mash Paddle competition briefing:-

The BABB's specialty beer style will be announced. The beers will be judged by BABB's members at the May mini-comp and another group in the preceding month. The 2011 Mash Paddle and Mini-comp winner will be announced at the May meeting.

Mini Comp No. 1:- Pale Ale and Bitter.

At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes:
3.1 (Cream Ale), 3.2 (Blonde Ale), 3.3 (Klsch), 3.4 (Australian Pale Ale), 3.5 (Australian Bitter Ale), 3.6 (English Bitter), 3.7 (English Best Bitter), 3.8 (Extra Special/Strong Bitter), 3.9 (English Pale Ale), 3.10 (English IPA).

Please note this year the sub-categories for the mini-comps and the 2011 Annual Competition have been expanded to allow members to brew, receive feedback, taste, judge and learn about a greater variety of beers.

Bring on a big year and see you at the meeting,

Cheers

So would someone be able to tell me what actually happens at a BABBS meeting?
I understand that there is brewing competitions but not sure what else.

So would someone be able to tell me what actually happens at a BABBS meeting?
I understand that there is brewing competitions but not sure what else.

Beer nerds sit around talking beer, sharing beer, looking at beer, smelling their forearm then beer and most of all learn heaps about brewing techniques and different beer styles.

oh yeah and laugh and talk shit. And take the piss out of each other.

Cheers Brad

Beer nerds sit around talking beer, sharing beer, looking at beer, smelling their forearm then beer and most of all learn heaps about brewing techniques and different beer styles.

oh yeah and laugh and talk shit. And take the piss out of each other.

Cheers Brad

ok so a lot of that sounds like fun (except the forearm part lol) but would it be the right place for a newbie kit brewer, female, who is also a 2 pot screamer with a chinese bladder? :lol:

ok so a lot of that sounds like fun (except the forearm part lol) but would it be the right place for a newbie kit brewer, female, who is also a 2 pot screamer with a chinese bladder? :lol:
Definately like i said earlier they let winkle join :ph34r: :lol:

Seriously its a great club for new brewers and experience brewers to learn and share.

There's a great spread of ages from 20s to 70s and maybe beyond, we have had a number of female members and associates and more would be welcome. If you are driving it's a good night to appreciate a range of beers in "nip" size doses without getting drunk so ideal for 2 pot screamers. After the initial short formal club thing (minutes of meeting, treasurer's report etc) The mini-comps take the form of splitting into six or more tables and the jugs and forms are brought out, and judging and discussion commences, with plates of nibbles to clear the palate. Great way of learning about styles. There are often interesting prizes for the first three or four winners, I once won a laser thermometer and a pack of Punk IPA :icon_drool2: The forearm thing is helpful to neutralise your "nose" - to recalibrate it - just sniff your own forearm and it magically clears it ready to sniff the beer again to judge aroma. :)
There's also a raffle.

Like any club it takes a few meetings to get really comfortable walking in, unless you are a screaming party type - but it's great once you get into the swing.

Latest posts

Back