Babbs January Meeting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarkey7

Reaction score
Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers (BABBs) monthly meeting will be held Thursday January 27, 2011 at Lynndon Bowls Club, Galsworthy Street, Holland Park, Qld. Arrive 7:30pm for an 8:00pm start.

Visitors are always welcome. Bring along a few tallies to share and compare.

2011 Mash Paddle competition briefing:-

The BABB's specialty beer style will be announced. The beers will be judged by BABB's members at the May mini-comp and another group in the preceding month. The 2011 Mash Paddle and Mini-comp winner will be announced at the May meeting.

Mini Comp No. 1:- Pale Ale and Bitter.

At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes:
3.1 (Cream Ale), 3.2 (Blonde Ale), 3.3 (Klsch), 3.4 (Australian Pale Ale), 3.5 (Australian Bitter Ale), 3.6 (English Bitter), 3.7 (English Best Bitter), 3.8 (Extra Special/Strong Bitter), 3.9 (English Pale Ale), 3.10 (English IPA).

Please note this year the sub-categories for the mini-comps and the 2011 Annual Competition have been expanded to allow members to brew, receive feedback, taste, judge and learn about a greater variety of beers.

Bring on a big year and see you at the meeting,

Cheers

PB (Dave)

Brisbane Amateur Beer Brewers (BABBs) monthly meeting will be held Thursday January 27, 2011 at Lynndon Bowls Club, Galsworthy Street, Holland Park, Qld. Arrive 7:30pm for an 8:00pm start.

Visitors are always welcome. Bring along a few tallies to share and compare.

2011 Mash Paddle competition briefing:-

The BABB's specialty beer style will be announced. The beers will be judged by BABB's members at the May mini-comp and another group in the preceding month. The 2011 Mash Paddle and Mini-comp winner will be announced at the May meeting.

Mini Comp No. 1:- Pale Ale and Bitter.

At time of entry, beer must be nominated into BABB's beer classes:
3.1 (Cream Ale), 3.2 (Blonde Ale), 3.3 (Klsch), 3.4 (Australian Pale Ale), 3.5 (Australian Bitter Ale), 3.6 (English Bitter), 3.7 (English Best Bitter), 3.8 (Extra Special/Strong Bitter), 3.9 (English Pale Ale), 3.10 (English IPA).

Please note this year the sub-categories for the mini-comps and the 2011 Annual Competition have been expanded to allow members to brew, receive feedback, taste, judge and learn about a greater variety of beers.

Bring on a big year and see you at the meeting,

Cheers

PB (Dave)

Looking forward to it.
Hmmm, I've been meaning to brew a English IPA for some time now - might have to get on with it.

Looking forward to it.
Hmmm, I've been meaning to brew a English IPA for some time now - might have to get on with it.

Yes Perry,
Get on with it and how ever many hops you were planning on using............................................Double it.

cheers

Browndog

Got a couple of bottles of Citra Blonde Ale I was planning on entering. Maybe an Aussie Pale Ale too.... How many beers can we enter into comps? (sorry, been a long bloody time since I've entered.....)

Cheers

Hey guys,

Been brewing for a while jsut doing the K&K, but nailing that on all fronts, but looking to get a bit more indepth with the whole thing.

Whats needed to join BABBs? Very keen on finding some like minded people, cos my missus just doesnt share the passion haha

Cheers,
Evil.

Got a couple of bottles of Citra Blonde Ale I was planning on entering. Maybe an Aussie Pale Ale too.... How many beers can we enter into comps? (sorry, been a long bloody time since I've entered.....)

Cheers

Good to hear Nick,
One to be scored and counted, one marked for evaluation / feedback only. Nominated prior to entry which is which of course.
Daz

Awesome, thanks Daz. Just to clarify, that's two per comp, not per category...?

eviljesus - Just rock up on the night and talk to the treasurer (not sure who now, sorry!) about becoming a member.

Cheers

Two per minicomp . And remember to register one for placement judging in the comp itself. At the Belgians night, Argon very timidly and apologetically entered a Belgian for comments only and if he'd put it in for comp it would have won, got something like 43 iirc. :rolleyes:

oops edit: Nick if you have been to a meeting already and have been sighted and deemed not a total derro or a crim then you can apply for membership but need to get onto the sec straight away and pay fees otherwise only registered members can enter - I thought you were already a member :eek:
Otherwise you still have a couple of weeks to extracto digitum pronto amigo

:icon_cheers:

Two per minicomp . And remember to register one for placement judging in the comp itself. At the Belgians night, Argon very timidly and apologetically entered a Belgian for comments only and if he'd put it in for comp it would have won, got something like 43 iirc. :rolleyes:

oops edit: Nick if you have been to a meeting already and have been sighted and deemed not a total derro or a crim then you can apply for membership but need to get onto the sec straight away and pay fees otherwise only registered members can enter - I thought you were already a member :eek:
Otherwise you still have a couple of weeks to extracto digitum pronto amigo

:icon_cheers:

Thanks Biribie.

I am already a member, have been for a couple of years. Was responding to eviljesus' post about membership.

Will be entering my Citra Blonde for judging, and most likely my Aussie Pale Ale for comments only.

Looking forward to being an active BABBs member once again!

Cheers

Nick

That's what I thought. I hadn't read the thread properly and thought "eviljesus" was a cursing word used out in Nanango - like when your banjo bass string snaps - apologies to Eviljesus himself :rolleyes:

See above GB - basically rock up and speak to the treasurer on the night.

Cheers

Racking my minicomp beer into cold-crash tomorrow :icon_chickcheers:

Only an IPA in the fermenter for me at the moment, not sure whether Target and Styrian Goldings would suit the style for an English IPA.

And waiting on a new mash tun, so will be a bit before I brew again, can't wait for it :)

Winkle, probably not, in last years ales minicomp my TF Golden Promise + Challenger + Styrians + Ringwood yeast "lacked the hallmarks of an English bitter" :wacko:
Maybe I should have hopped it to 100 IBU with Chinook or something

Cheers for the info boys. Hope to see you guys there!

Apologies accepted bribie!

Be great to see you EvilJesus - make yourself known and we'll buy you a beer ;)

Back