Awesome BIAB Mash Tun Jacket

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find the photos now, but this is essentially the same as my old pot insulation.
It works even better if you wrap the pot in aircell fiol first, then make another ring and foam fill the gap. I then capped off the top and bottom with foil tape.

Dammit! I'm gunna search for the photos some more.

Edit: found one! not the best shot, but you get my drift. It had Velcro laps to fasten the two halves together.

P5053818.JPG

That looks pretty good Yummy.. I will post pics when I do mine. As my mash tun is a Keggle with the irregular shaped sides, I will be more following the Instructable method, and then slicing down both sides. I believe this will give a snugger fit around the Keggle. I do like the idea of aircell foil for the outer layer though.

Anyone done this and left it on for the boil in an electric setup? Thats what I have and it would be great to have a cosy that does not have to be removed for the boil...an impossability for double batches!

FreeBase,

You'll get better insulation if the there are pockets of air against the walls of the keggle. The best type of wrap would have an airspace with a highly reflective layer before the foam. There's a whole lot more to insulation, but I think you'll find the foam will crush the shit out of the aircell anyway.
If you just use the foam you'll get something that will take on water. The aircell version can be hosed down.
Try finding something that's heat resistant and non porous.

Niner,
What type of electric system are we talking? An internal element?
I've done 50 odd brews with insulation, but would not let an external element too close to something like this.
A fire rated foam is available if you ask around for it.

PS. Tip: Keep a sprayer with some water handy. It can help contain the blowouts you'll no doubt get, if you haven't played with expanding foam much. I've seen it lift half a tonne before without too much effort.

Ah cool so there are heat suitable foams. Yeah I have twin keg king elements in my pot. Internal :) I have wrapped it already with insulation but mash temps still drop a lot (around 4+ degrees in 60-90 minutes) so something better yet still neat and can be left in-situ would be good. I have just been mashing a bit higher to overcome it so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back