Australia's "best"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domonsura

Beer stuff maker
Reaction score
Well, the title of the thread may lead some of you to believe that this is headed in the direction of a piss-take, but it's not.....for some time the missus and I have been contemplating exactly where in Australia we want to settle permanently. It's such a damn big place, and we've seen so little of it, so this morning she says to me "Why don't you ask the forum where they like best?". ........sometimes she comes up with the most obvious solutions.......:D

So tell us where you think is best and why, I know there are some amongst you that have criss-crossed this big hot rock in the sun left right and centre and probably have your own little favourite spot, and I need to hear about it.
My preference is somewhere where extreme heat is not so much of an issue.

So to cross a couple off the list straight away -
  • Sydney - been there done that...(someone put it nicely recently - busy, rude and ugly....:lol:)
  • Adelaide - Nice place, awesome friendly people, but too hot/dry in the summer.
  • Cairns - Too hot & humid

Perth - The most isolated city in the world!

I really like Brisbane, Its city without being syd or melb ... can still get a bit of land if you go out a little, has craftbrewer :p

but house prices are rising atm

I hope to end up in Northern NSW, around Byron, or up around Noosa, not too hot, not too cold, great beaches and surf, easy to grow awonderful garden, and not that for from the east coast cities.

Perth is nice enough, but unfortuanltey it appears to have some sort of genetic psychosocial barrier to new ideas, and an awful sense of greed, self preservation and rasicm. I think if I have not met the people I have throuhg the breaing scene, I would have found it difficult to be bothered staying here the 5 years I have so far.

If Adelaide is too hot in the summer, perhaps Perth isn't for you, but if you like the coastal life, perhaps one of our southern towns?

Mandurah is about 70km south of Perth (but is considered part of the metropolitan area) and is a bit cooler than Perth, and an hour closer to the south west :D

Plus there is good money to be made here :D

Domonsura - there's no contest. It's Landsborough all the way! Well Sunshine Coast anyways.

It's warm, but not hot. Wet, not as close as Troydo to Craftbrewer but you can always go for a drive.

map-250.jpg

and check out the weather stats here:

Weatherzonne 4550

Cheers,

InCider.

I hope to end up in Northern NSW, around Byron, or up around Noosa, not too hot, not too cold, great beaches and surf, easy to grow awonderful garden, and not that for from the east coast cities.

Lismore - heaven on earth.

The Adelaide Hills are much cooler than the plains and we are surrounded by vineyards home to some of the best sav blanc outside of your country! Didnt you live up here once upon a time? And houses are still affordable......... and you should see the size of my shed! B)

Well, I've lived in Adelaide, Melbourne, Wagga, Brisbane, Newcastle and overseas.

As far as attractive cities go, Brisbane can't be beaten. Newcastle has a nice climate (a bit too cold for me), but it's not a very attractive city unless you're right on the beach or you go inland to the Hunter. Really, anywhere between Brisbane and Newcastle would be a nice spot.

I could probably go a bit further north than Brisbane in reality, but I couldn't give you an exact cutoff. All I know is that Bundaberg is probably too far north, but Hervey Bay might not be. If you don't like the heat, then I'd go further south. Byron bay is lovely, but the locals are a bit snobby and weird at the same time. And they don't like outsiders.

You may have trouble getting past border patrol at the NSW/Qld border. :p

I don't know if that helped :rolleyes:

I'm only going to suggest Perth because I don't want to pay as much freight when I start buying your gear :lol: .
I think Sinkas has described Perth pretty well. It's a funny old place and with good friends it makes it ok but if you don't come across some good mates it loses it's appeal. My first couple of years here had some teething probs (maybe it was the indoctrination of Far North Queensland for 5 years prior :lol: )

How about Canberra, or the southern highlands of NSW?

Canberra has a very active brewing community. The whole area has the bonus of being able to brew lagers without refridgeration for 4 months of the year.

I'm only going to suggest Perth because I don't want to pay as much freight when I start buying your gear :lol:

Me too!

But I'll agree with somewhere slightly further down south so it's a little cooler and I have an excuse to tour the breweries down there a little more often.

stay in sa

but tassie looks good cool like nz but homebrew supplies dont look good there

Ok..

have lived all over NSW and by far one of the best places would be the Far Nth Coast of NSW Except Byron Bay itself.....it really is a sh!t place to be in. trust me, the violence, crap and snobery killed it. If you dont want the cold, go above Coffs Harbour. Grafton is great with great people,community and attitude and you can buy cheap land not to far from the beach. Lismore and surrounds are also nice, as well as further north like Murwullumbah

I would stay away from Byron, Ballina and anywhere near the Tweed/Gold Coast

If you are really keen, Taylors Arm has a rather nice little micro and would be a great place to live and i am sure that a person who knows how to weld stainless would come in handy... B)

I agree. If you're keen on the coast, Evans Head, Iluka or Corindi Beach are much better choices.

I wouldn't recommend the NSW south coast .. we don't want your kind down here :p

Weatherwise, great. We have seasons here. Snow only a two hour drive away. Great beaches (water can be a tad cold sometimes though). Huge tracts of national / state parks & forests. The big smokes (Wollongong/Sydney/Canberra) two - three hours drive away. House prices still reasonably low (depending on location). Relative safe place to live - far far less urban ghetto mentality down here. Quiet lifestyle possible if that's what you want. Safe place to raise children - but kick them out at 18 to see the real world.

Drawbacks - employment - plenty of work for health professionals & tradies but limited other employment. A fair drive back to Adelaide if you need it. Isolated somewhat socially - limited venues offering lower level entertainment with obvious major exceptions - read Great Southern Blues & Roots Festival. A lot of retirees and rednecks live here. Limited public and interstate transport.

Excellent hobby farm prospects. Hops can be grown in the hills! Strong tourism market but clearly no where near as full on as NSW North Coast & Queensland. More a grey nomad tourism than a full on holiday trade (the family school holiday spots such as Batemans Bay, Narooma & Merimbula the exception).

All in all, NSW South Coast - not for everyone, but ideal if this is what you want.

All in all, a great place for a quiet lifestyle within easy commute (but not daily commute) of the big smoke.

I wouldn't recommend the NSW south coast .. we don't want your kind down here :p

Weatherwise, great. We have seasons here. Snow only a two hour drive away. Great beaches (water can be a tad cold sometimes though). Huge tracts of national / state parks & forests. The big smokes (Wollongong/Sydney/Canberra) two - three hours drive away. House prices still reasonably low (depending on location). Relative safe place to live - far far less urban ghetto mentality down here. Quiet lifestyle possible if that's what you want. Safe place to raise children - but kick them out at 18 to see the real world.

Drawbacks - employment - plenty of work for health professionals & tradies but limited other employment. A fair drive back to Adelaide if you need it. Isolated somewhat socially - limited venues offering lower level entertainment with obvious major exceptions - read Great Southern Blues & Roots Festival. A lot of retirees and rednecks live here. Limited public and interstate transport.

Excellent hobby farm prospects. Hops can be grown in the hills! Strong tourism market but clearly no where near as full on as NSW North Coast & Queensland. More a grey nomad tourism than a full on holiday trade (the family school holiday spots such as Batemans Bay, Narooma & Merimbula the exception).

All in all, NSW South Coast - not for everyone, but ideal if this is what you want.

All in all, a great place for a quiet lifestyle within easy commute (but not daily commute) of the big smoke.

Doesnt sound too dissimilar to the north coast really, except for the seasons bit. But Ive been stuck up in the New England for nearly a decade now, so Ive just about had it with seasons ;)

Doesnt sound too dissimilar to the north coast really, except for the seasons bit. But Ive been stuck up in the New England for nearly a decade now, so Ive just about had it with seasons ;)

I really like the new England area (Armidale/Glen Innes/ Tenterfield)...but its about the only area that I have been in where it gets to cold to snow....you even need a jumper in summer...which is really weird for Nth NSW...Ebor has got great Sub-Alpine forest landscape...

Back