Australian Amateur Brewing Championship

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinOC said:
Andrew, I know we've covered this via PM, but for everyone else's benefit, please note as per the AABC website:

"Placing (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in any category at your State Qualifying Competition qualifies entrant to submit an entry, in the same category, at AABC 2013".

In other words, you can't enter the AABC directly without having qualified at State level. That's why there's no access to an entry form on the AABC website, soas to prevent someone getting a direct "wild-card" entry to the Nationals.
In past comps you have been able to print and send, once you have qualified. The Queensland comp has changed it's format and will be sending to the nationals on the place getters behalf, but entries into the state comp require two bottles with one labeled for QABC and one labelled with AABC.

bradsbrew said:
In past comps you have been able to print and send, once you have qualified. The Queensland comp has changed it's format and will be sending to the nationals on the place getters behalf, but entries into the state comp require two bottles with one labeled for QABC and one labelled with AABC.
Thanks Bradsbrew, for clarifying the Qld. system.

In Vic., we only ask for entries to Vicbrew. Once the place-getters are known, only THOSE brewers are contacted to submit a second bottle as their entries for the AABC. This cuts-down on logistics & storage of double the amount of bottles required to be submitted.

MartinOC said:
Andrew, I know we've covered this via PM, but for everyone else's benefit, please note as per the AABC website:

"Placing (1st, 2nd or 3rd) in any category at your State Qualifying Competition qualifies entrant to submit an entry, in the same category, at AABC 2013".

In other words, you can't enter the AABC directly without having qualified at State level. That's why there's no access to an entry form on the AABC website, soas to prevent someone getting a direct "wild-card" entry to the Nationals.
Yes I know all that however the QABC is asking for two bottles for each entry, in the event you qualify the QABC are sending your second bottle down to the AABC for you, however you have to have a completed AABC entry form attached to the bottle when we send them to the QABC comp, so we need access to the national entry forms.

MartinOC said:

The AABC entry form has always been available to download and print in the past. It is the information that entrants need to provide on it that prevents unqualified entries ie state of origin, category, placing etc.
Who fills out the entry form and attaches it to the bottle if the entrant doesn't have access to the form?

Guys, I've tried to be as helpful as I can, but you have to understand that I'm not involved with the AABC, except to act as Chief Steward when it's in Victoria.

I'd suggest that you contact the relevant State qualifying completion organisers & ask them your questions directly, as they'll almost certainly have contacts that they can call-on in the AABC arena & get your questions answered.

Like I said before, we do it differently in Victoria - only one bottle is submitted for Vicbrew. Once you qualify at that competition, the organisers contact you directly to submit your AABC-entry. Frankly, I can't see the point of asking for twice as many bottles as are needed, when only 54 beers/bottles from each state will actually qualify for the National competition. The rest is waste.

That's something the State's organizing bodies need to sort-out for themselves. I think they're creating a rod for their own backs by doing it differently.

In case anyone has missed it, the QABC aspect of this discussion is being addressed in this year's QABC thread. If there's any further questions related to the QABC qualifying comp, please post them there.

So when do entries for the AABC have to be delivered by?

One bottle or two of each entry?

Where do we send them to?

No info on the site yet.

Bribie G said:
So when do entries for the AABC have to be delivered by?

One bottle or two of each entry?

Where do we send them to?

No info on the site yet.
indeed. I also require this information so I can submit to my ass kicking

2013 AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR BREWING CHAMPIONSHIP, Friday/Saturday 1st/2nd November

CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES: Sat 26th October 2013
Deliver entries to:
AABC2013, c/- Brew Your Own At Home,
5 Primmer Ct, Kambah, ACT 2902

Entry Fee: $10 per entry, cheques payable to ‘Canberra Brewers Inc’.
For questions about delivery arrangements, contact: Charles Newton, Ph: 0417 047 196, [email protected]
Rules & Conditions
1. AABC Competition Rules and AABC Style Guidelines for judging are available at: www.aabc.org.au
2. Entries accepted only from brewers who have qualified via AABC State Qualifying Championships. Entrants must nominate a designated Style for the Category in which they have qualified, as listed overleaf. Organisers may reclassify or disqualify incorrectly nominated entries.
3. One bottle per entry (750ml preferred) with a minimum of 500 ml. If unavoidable, entrants may submit two smaller bottles, with duplicate entry forms clearly marked Bottle 1 and Bottle 2 attached separately to each. All entry forms and fees must be attached by rubber band only.
4. Beers in each Category will be judged by a panel of at least 3 judges. Completed scoresheets will be returned to entrants.
5. Trophies will be awarded for the 3 highest scoring beers in each Category. In the event of tied scores, placegetters will be decided by progressive count back as follows: a) highest score for Overall Impression; B) highest score for Flavour; c) lowest range of individual judge scores (smallest spread of scores across panel); d) the judging panel will be requested to resolve the tie.
6. Champion Beer of Show will be awarded to the highest scoring beer in the competition. In the event of a tie, a progressive count back will be used as for category placing.
7. Champion Brewer and Best State will be determined by the sum of place points awarded: 1st: 3 points, 2nd: 2 points; 3rd: 1 point.
8. AABC 2013 is a BJCP registered competition.
9. Competition will be judged on the 1st and 2nd of November at the Canberra Club, Level 1/45 West Row, Canberra, ACT 2601.
10. Presentations will be made at the AABC Club Night on Saturday 2nd November 2013.

See http://www.aabc.org.au/

The Brew Shop will receive entries from NSW brewers who have qualified for the Nationals. Closing date at The Brew Shop is 4pm Saturday 19th October. If you can't drop them off at the shop it would be best, for the entries, to send them straight to Canberra.
They will put them on a skip/small pallet, wrap the skip and send them on the Monday. This will ensure that they stay upright and reduce some of dangers associated with couriers.

Thanks Barry, panic averted :lol:

I'll post direct rather than sending down to the good folks at ESB - only one bottle and should be courier proof :beerbang:

I normally bottle in stubbies or plastic coopers bottles, which would be better to send down for this?
Is either a disadvantage with the judges or are all bottles considered the same?
Hopefully I don't have to drink 2 cases of longnecks before bottling on the weekend

Bribie G said:
Thanks Barry, panic averted :lol:

I'll post direct rather than sending down to the good folks at ESB - only one bottle and should be courier proof :beerbang:
What you entering Bribie?

Pokey said:
I normally bottle in stubbies or plastic coopers bottles, which would be better to send down for this?
Is either a disadvantage with the judges or are all bottles considered the same?
Hopefully I don't have to drink 2 cases of longnecks before bottling on the weekend

From above

3. One bottle per entry (750ml preferred) with a minimum of 500 ml. If unavoidable, entrants may submit two smaller bottles, with duplicate entry forms clearly marked Bottle 1 and Bottle 2 attached separately to each. All entry forms and fees must be attached by rubber band only.

Hi all
Is there an event schedule for the Nationals?
I realise that the judging is Nov 1 & 2 at the Canberra Club and the club night is on Saturday night,
or is that the event schedule?
Planning to have a look around Canberra during the week around the comp.
A visit to Wig and Pen looks to be compulsory.
Any other clues would be appreciated.
Bring it on.
Harry.

MartinOC said:
<clip>

Purely in the interests of Quality Control ( :ph34r: ), I actually encourage the pouring Stewards to give everything a "sniff & sip" test before it's released for judging. That way, if there's an absolute "Dog", I can stop it ruining the judge's palates. The down-side of that is that I get to taste the dodgy-ones & decide if they're actually judgeable or not.

</clip>
I thought that all beer submitted for judging should be judged, graded and provided with feedback.

Are you saying that these beers are less worthy of the feedback that they paid for?

Judges have robust and resilient palates. If they don't, then that's why there is water and crackers to cleanse and refresh their palates.

I would be quite incensed, as I have been with past comps, where the only feedback was "could not judge". That tells me the judges were probably too drunk and/or incapable of judging my beer, and definitely too lazy to provide the feedback I paid for.

ALL beer is judgeable, OK? Who has the right to say that it isn't?

Would you care to rephrase your reply, Martin?

At the Nationals I wouldn't expect any dogs to get through. The brewers and their beers have to qualify, don't forget.

I would expect my beer to be judged at the Nationals regardless of what a stewards opinion of it was. That is what the entry fee is for.

Les the Weizguy said:
That tells me the judges were probably too drunk and/or incapable of judging my beer, and definitely too lazy to provide the feedback I paid for.
That is EXACTLY what was going on the whole weekend....... :rolleyes:

Harry Volting said:
Hi all
Is there an event schedule for the Nationals?
I realise that the judging is Nov 1 & 2 at the Canberra Club and the club night is on Saturday night,
or is that the event schedule?
Planning to have a look around Canberra during the week around the comp.
A visit to Wig and Pen looks to be compulsory.
Any other clues would be appreciated.
Bring it on.
Harry.
G'day Harry,

More qualifiers for the AABC?
I'd recommend lunch or drinks/ lunch at the Zierholz.
Have you got my mobile number, as I hope to organise myself enough to be there for the event.

Latest posts

Back