Aussie Craftbrew No Match In The World Market

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the styles of those beers. All but one of the top 50 are imperials, strong ales, or sour ales.

I long for the time an Australian craft brewery can make (and perfect over many batches) a good imperial, strong or sour ale, whilst still remaining in business.

Look at the styles of those beers. All but one of the top 50 are imperials, strong ales, or sour ales.

I long for the time an Australian craft brewery can make (and perfect over many batches) a good imperial, strong or sour ale, whilst still remaining in business.

Wig & Pen make an excellent Imperial stout and have done for many years - but it doesn't ever get far from Canberra :( (Murrays have now an outstanding one as well).

And how many of our microbreweries do you know of that export their product?

4/5ths of sweet FA i'd suggest.

If the bright young things in sweden can top the list, so could any of the craftbrewers here.

It's actually quite impressive that there are so many 'Out There' brews, plus great kudos that they are scoring so well. I'm always impressed when non-mainstream crap makes it into a top-10 or whatever list(granted that the site is a beer geek site).

I'd love to be able to taste just 10 from that damn list.

Q

mmm so I need only visit 8 countries in order to drink the best beer. <_<

its mainly exposure - ratebeer and beeradvocate are dominated by yanks, and consequently their beers come out on top of those from the rest of world. Not saying their beers arent brilliant though, just not a fair comparison.

Aussie craft beers are good but too expensive!!

if its hard to get, is good, and its reputation gets 'out there' the beer geeks will come. Quite a few of those US barrel aged stouts are very hard to get even in the local area but still they come (and rate) - of course it doesn't hurt to send a few samples to the big beer festivals to generate some hype. That said , it wouldn't surprise me to see a Murrays beer sneak into that list in a year or so.

As stated already - the majority of the ratebeer members are US based. There is also a big contingent in Scandinavia. As you know, the beers are rated to personal taste - not to style. This means that big, bold beers score the highest in most cases. Almost all of them are rare batches of barrel aged imperial stouts.

The Danish and Swedish brewers are making some pretty out-there stuff at the moment, really pushing the envelope on some beers. A good example is #6 in that list - an imperial oatmeal stout with coffee beans from civet shit! They seem a lot more open to trying new things there though. You only have to look at the responses on this forum to some bold styles like sour beers. People just aren't ready for it yet here :( Give it 10 years and you never know though!

There's only a few beers in that top 50 that hang around that same spot....Westy 12, Stormaktsporter, Pliny, Rochefort 10, Hair Of Dog beers....
Alot of the others don't seem to have all too many ratings, and often start to drop down the list once it gets a good number of rates, unlike some of the well-known Belgians and American micros.
And has also been mentioned, how many of those top 50 can you actually get in this country?...not many, if any! :p
Very select group really, mainly American micros that are variation on another great beer that may not even exist in a few months time.

Eventually those beers will drop off, and you'll have the likes of Westy 12 back on top once again! :D

But yeah, the Aussie micro beer scene probably needs to be bigger and produce more extreme beers to get something up in the top 50.

Surely there must be a place any anyones top 100 for a delicate lager or pale ale.

I see this as more of a reflection of the american palate than anything else. There seems to be a parallel with wine in the US a few years ago where big in-your-face red wines with residual sweetness (biggest barossa reds) were all the rage. Tastes will change and people will realise there is more to flavour that being smashed over the head with it.

my 2c

Cheers
Andrew.

It seems obvious that the beer generally won't rate unless it's been passed by the Ministry of Silly Names. Even if you just call it beer in an impossibly difficult language, that'll sway the voters.

Latest posts

Back