Atm Skimmers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty scary stuff! I always imagined that sort of thing would be very obvious, but these people are very sneaky.

yeah thanks FJ for the pdf. ive forwarded to family and work colleagues

Great, so now I know I'm not going to notice a skimmer unless I start rattling the ATM itself and seeing what's loose - which is likely to get me arrested and accused of fitting such a device... I'm screwed!

Solution: Be a student. There's never enough money in my account to worry about having it stolen, and as soon as there is any money, it's promptly handed over to either the LHBS or the missus.

Or just use the great feature on the new EFTPOS machines in coles....

They allow you to do an EFTPOS transaction while the person is scanning your shopping for whatever amount you want, then when shopping is all scanned, it tells them how much change to give you. i.e. you put in a total of $100, shopping is $34.55 means they have to give you $65.45 in change....

Only problem is none of the staff know this feature exists and they either don't give you the change, which tends to result in an argument or just stand there looking stupid until I tell them how much money to give me. Hell, one even tried to give me the full $100 in cash, but given I shop there everyday and am well known by most of the staff, I felt kind of bad so I explained it to him.

I must admit that I used an ATM today and did take a bit of a closer look than I normally would, made me feel a bit stupid afterwards but hey.....

I agree Pollux, using Safeway or Coles as an ATM whilst paying for groceries is a smooth move.

In my view, it's the banks equipment so they are liable should somebody tamper with their equipment to steal from me...

Having me check their equipment before I use it is poor business by them...if they are so worried, they should send somebody out there every 30minutes to check! At least they can train somebody up to know what they are looking for.

[edit] I see the slide show is attempting to get this message to staff

Yeah we've had a handful of people at the office get skimmed in the last month. I'm conscious now to double check ATMs, you just never know.

Also checking your Net Banking daily is a good idea as you'll notice any dodgy withdrawals and can report it asap.

Off topic - ish, when I met the lads at the James Squire brewhouse in February I was about the first customer for the day, went the the ATM on the premises and punched in $100 and got $40. The staff contacted the ATM mob immediately and after a bit of troubleshooting over the phone they sheepishly opened the machine and switched the cassettes.........they had the fifty cassette and the twenty cassette transposed. And I had been intending to get out $80 initially then thought nah, let's get $100.
If I had gone for the 80, it would have issued me with 200 :ph34r: and I could have stood there and turned over the 600 or whatever I had in that particular card account, and multiplied it into 1500, then gone round to the nearest Suncorp branch, deposited it, gone back to JS....... mind you by that time they would have got suspicious of this guy thrashing the ATM :p

Poll, would you actually do that to good old JS??? Or would that be sweet revenge on Lion Nathan?

Poll, would you actually do that to good old JS??? Or would that be sweet revenge on Lion Nathan?

I doubt it would be sweet at all since they have your details and time of transaction.
If you knowingly keep something that is accidentally given to you it is legally considered theft and must be returned (including any interest paid).

Best chance would have been fleeing to asia with said $200 and lying low for a few years. Just keep off the my space and you'll be ok. ;)

I've had a chip in my credit card for at least 5 years and have never once used it. And I've seen only one system that can even read them. Won't happen.

QB, the part of your first link where it mentions the machines spitting the cash cassette on to the street is complete bullshit (there isn't a hole for the cassette to exit from) and the lack of a reported source and the fact that it is supposedly "somewhere" in Russia makes me think the rest is the same.

I've had a chip in my credit card for at least 5 years and have never once used it. And I've seen only one system that can even read them. Won't happen.

Some Duty Free shops in Airports read the chip. You have to put in your pin number to complete the transaction instead of just signing the receipt.

Works the same as the EFTPOS machine in Supermarket checkouts. :icon_offtopic:

What a bold claim - you've rarely seen it used, therefore it will never take off. Hmmm.

I believe most of the new EFTPOS machines have a slot in the front, base of the machine that will accept the cards for reading the chips, rather than swiping the card.

QB, the part of your first link where it mentions the machines spitting the cash cassette on to the street is complete bullshit (there isn't a hole for the cassette to exit from) and the lack of a reported source and the fact that it is supposedly "somewhere" in Russia makes me think the rest is the same.
Had you read the article correctly, you would have noticed the second part of the sentence;

"NS article" said:
Another option on the menu even lets criminals with extended "access privileges" eject the cash cassette, although this only works with older, front-loading ATMs.
Or have you been to Russia lately and inspected all of the older machines? Do some reading before you claim something to be "complete bullshit".

As for lack of reported source, the article mentions SpiderLabs and links to the parent company's analysis briefing, which is a full rundown of the infection, with plenty of real-world contacts. I'm not sure exactly what else you are expecting in a popular-science report? I expect a full reference list in all your future posts (preferably Harvard system just for convenince, thanks).

The idea of the chip in c/cards now is that for low level transactions (i.e. under $30), you jut tap your card and it automatically happens, now pin, no sign.

They have the systems in maccas, I've never used it but always keep my wallet away from the sensor....I just don't trust it.

My business Visa has a chip. HEAP of places have the eftpos machines that take the chip. Its slower though. Most of the banks seem to be forcing businesses to change over to the chip reading type - must be some form of extra security...

I just don't trust it.

And neither do most people. It will NOT take off.

QB, as Pollux points out, current technology is designed so that no insertion of chips is required. Even the initial card chip readers only required about of a third of the card to go in. Cards only go all the way in to read the strip.

I am going to argue about the specifics of Russian ATMs (because they are totally different to ATMs everywhere else in the world). I am also going to argue about the journalistic integrity of NewScientist.

My business Visa has a chip. HEAP of places have the eftpos machines that take the chip. Its slower though. Most of the banks seem to be forcing businesses to change over to the chip reading type - must be some form of extra security...

My understanding is that this is mostly NABs doing and the decision is based on hardware rather than customer's needs. The NAB EFTPOS machines are the ones I was referring to above.

Latest posts

Back