Ash's Brewery Progress

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a trip to bunnings i have my CFC sorted now aswell as the materials for the insulation.

Ill be using a layer or 2 of the expansion joint stuff and aluminium insulation tape to seal it.

ended up being pretty easy to slide the hose around it. the hose had about the same coil diametre. only the alst meter was tricky. The elbows are tight wenoguh on the steel that i might not even have to seal it off.
Step_4_CFC.JPG

did my CF the same and leaks less than those how spent money on all the fiddlie bits, getting motivated to go all SS like you though.

well with any luck it wont leak at all :)

if you want to go stainless steel, be prepared. you will not let yourself go half assed about it. i tried to and now im close to $1000 i think because i thought id get all the best bits rather than going with my cheaper plans.

but... its all going to be worth it!

Still need to get it welded and then its ready once i join all the SS and silion hosing up (15min job). Ill probably prop it up with bricks for now but ill be building a small wooden stand for it to sit above the bench top so the taps and pump are below the vessels.

QUOTE(browndog @ Jul 4 2006, 03:40 PM)

Looking good Ash, bet you are keen to give it a run. That is an interesting way you have mounted your element there mate, I have not seen it done that way before.

cheers

Browndog

Have you looked at an urn lately ?? Picked one up from the roadside collection. Appeared to be totally stuffed and beyond redemption unfortunately But the element was mounted from the bottom.
It was actually fairly flat and followed the bottom of the urn pretty closely, so will be interesting to see how Ash's works out.

I suspect it don't matter much

Clarification, I meant anybody building a HLT.
I have a 20L urn that I pulled out of a metal scrap skip that to my delight, worked perfectly. The things people throw out :beerbang:

cheers

Browndog

Hi Ash,

Your brewery should work fine. One thing i dont have is a CFC I use a imersion coil as less stress over infection if the CFC is not sanitized well.
Is this your first all-grain setup?
Have you been brewing for long if so where you a tin man or a partial masher?
I have been interested in H.E.R.M.S but many people say if your mash tun is well insulated single step infussion if fine and they also say lagers work fine in a single infussion (yet to try have always stepped my lagers). I made up a heat exchange for the mash but am now rethinking using it.

Happy brewing

Ive been all graining for a fairly long time, but mostly smaller brews, from 12-20L depending on gravity. I never really liked K&K beers so i only did a few of those and i was onto AGing quickly.

I was thinking about just using an immersion heater for that reason but i thought if im going to build it i might aswell do it properly at first becaseu id probably change over eventually.

I doubt the beers will be any better than those form a decent 'simple' setup but this is easier to brew with and more fun to build and design i think.

Ill second that :) I dont think me rig will make better beer, buts it good fun to use and looks cool.

The wife recons its "ugly"

Gadget factor overload :)

i loooooove gadgets :)

cheers

Ill second that :) I dont think me rig will make better beer, buts it good fun to use and looks cool.

The wife recons its "ugly"

Gadget factor overload :)

i loooooove gadgets :)

cheers

I hear you Tony Im a gadget nut also

Ive been all graining for a fairly long time, but mostly smaller brews, from 12-20L depending on gravity. I never really liked K&K beers so i only did a few of those and i was onto AGing quickly.

I was thinking about just using an immersion heater for that reason but i thought if im going to build it i might aswell do it properly at first becaseu id probably change over eventually.

I doubt the beers will be any better than those form a decent 'simple' setup but this is easier to brew with and more fun to build and design i think.

If it aint broken, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Bought a couple of new gadgets and made some cheap ass lids.

Thermostat and 2000W element from Roy at TWOC. Simple but works well on his system. I have the 2 mashmaster themometers for the mash and HLT.
Step_5_Temp_Control.JPG

These lids were made for about $5 each from plant pot bases cut down and small knobs on top. the tape is for holding it together becasue it was brittle and cracked a couple of times. it is insulating tape so i might cover the entire lid with it too. In this pic u can see the insulation ill be using. enough there to cover HLT and Mash.
Step_5_Lids.JPG

I have a welder sorted out now, just need to make a time with him on monday. should be about $100 for what i need done.

Ash

Its been welded and cleaned up so ive been able to insulate it and screw all the bits together and put them in palce, aswell as the element and thermo's. All thats left to do is build a small wooden frame for each (HLT 10cm higher than Mash) and wait for the pump to arrive so i can hook up the hoseing and its ready to go!

Insulating.JPGStep_6.JPG
Step_6_Mash_HLT_ext.JPGStep_6_Mash_HLT_int.JPG

System looks nice. Your certainly throwing the $$ into it. Lots of stainless bitzies.

(EDIT: OK, read the first page and you answered it in rgards to your batch size plan. Removed comments here as they were address in the first two pages of this thread).

However, just a reminder to keep an eye on that element in the HLT too. Make sure it's off before you draw much water out of it otherwise that will poke through the surface really quick. I have elements in the bottom of mine (in from the side and very low) and I've nearly exposed them several times. I'd blow that one for sure :eek: :D

Hope all goes well for the first run.

Cheers, Justin

Hi Ash

Shaping up nicely. Where did you get your welding done?

Ben

Ash

Good to see somebody is trying the expansion jointing. You won't be dissapointed. My HLT and Mashtun are covered with it. The mashtun rarely loses a degree over the course of a 60 minute mash.

At $8 per keg it's bloody good value too. :beerbang:

Warren -

That insulation looks like good stuff Warren and Ash. Looks easy to get a nice, decent looking finish with it that doesn't look tatty and cheap. I assume it's got an adhesive back.

I may look into some for mine in the future. Insulation is a good thing, makes a big difference.

No adhesive back unfortunately Justin.

I just cut it at lengths slightly less than the keg diameter and taped it on the end. This allowed it to be stretched on in hoops so to speak (just think giant rubber band). Then I just taped the hoops together.

Coincidentally one roll does one keg "exactly".

About 6 hoops per keg and the world's your oyster. :)

Warren -

Warren, I used this stuff after reading your post about how you did it, thanks!

thanks for the tip justin, i am the forgetful type that would probably go through a few of the elements. and yes, there has been alot of $$ gone into it (about 800 i think)

The welding was done by CJ engineering in willeton. $50 for the 5 sockets and 2 tube entries.

Cheers!

Back