Ash's Brewery Progress

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hop back looks exactly like what i had in mind... where can i get one?

hieght is also an issue, becasue i want to keep it mostly gravity fed. if the kettle tap is horizontal, the hiegh of the hop back outlet will end up about the riht right for the CFC inlet. any lower and the CFC outlet wont reach the fermenter... As a temp measure so i can get the hop abck going before building my new kettle (inc whirlpool?) i might conenct it up like how you have said. The kettle is fine for brewing but i want more gadgets too.

I am not going to say where my new job is untill i know for sure its in my pocket. I am confident but i have only done a few shifts for a bit of a trial. I should find out for sure on monday.

The main thing is that for the hopback im building, i need a horizontal tap rather than the angled tap. with a keg, for it to be horizontal it would need to be too far up the side and there would be too much left in the bottom.

Hey Ash, could you not put a 90 degree elbow onto the end of your vertical tap to change the direction to horizontal?

Just a suggestion :)

I am not going to say where my new job is untill i know for sure its in my pocket. I am confident but i have only done a few shifts for a bit of a trial. I should find out for sure on monday.

No worries - I was just stirring. We're 4 hours ahead over here - that's home time by my watch.

Have a good weekend all, brew like mad.
Bugwan

The main thing is that for the hopback im building, i need a horizontal tap rather than the angled tap. with a keg, for it to be horizontal it would need to be too far up the side and there would be too much left in the bottom.

Hey Ash, could you not put a 90 degree elbow onto the end of your vertical tap to change the direction to horizontal?

Just a suggestion :)

if it was vertical that would work well but its on abotu a 45Deg angle. makes it tricky.

for the next few months ill only be doing wheats and lagers so i ahve plenty of time before ill be wanting the hop back and therefore the new kettle so im in no hurry.

The hop back looks exactly like what i had in mind... where can i get one?

More Beer. US$79 for the standard one, US$97 with male QD's.

Cheers
MAH

5472.jpg

2537.jpg

Justin, the size of the kettle is not the problem really, and using a thick heavy duty keg the top half or more is just going to loose heat (aswell as all the messy bits). The main thing is that for the hopback im building, i need a horizontal tap rather than the angled tap. with a keg, for it to be horizontal it would need to be too far up the side and there would be too much left in the bottom. A large pot would be good but i thought before i spend $200 or so on a good one i should hunt around for something else.

Ash
Try Kongs oriental trading in William st Northbridge. No super dooper thick stainless ports here but you can't go past an 80L soup pot for $55 can you!!!! They are not very thick (read like very thin!!) but I find it works extremely well with a 4 ring burner if you have one, if you have a nasa you would probably have to place a sheet of aluminum between the burner and the pot to spread the heat around. At the price it's worth a try as i have been very happy with mine.

Also can I chime in for about the eleven hundreth time "told you to get a bigger kettle" :p

thanks mate... i should have known, you can get anything from there

I like the look of those 'clover' connections/seals on the site. They would make things much easier.

Try Kongs oriental trading in William st Northbridge. No super dooper thick stainless ports here but you can't go past an 80L soup pot for $55 can you!!!! They are not very thick (read like very thin!!) but I find it works extremely well with a 4 ring burner if you have one, if you have a nasa you would probably have to place a sheet of aluminum between the burner and the pot to spread the heat around.

Sounds perfect for my HLT :)

Cheers ausdb!

So Ash, I'm itching to know, is it Little Creatures where you are spending time earning money instead of spending it ?? / Congratulations on whereever it is :)
Cheers
Doug

Also try Lucky Import Export Trading Co. up on Brisbane St in Northbridge. I can't give you a price, but I was in there on Tuesday and noticed that they have a fair range of large (read HUGE) aluminium stock pots. Again, very thin, but will pass as a HLT if required...

Has anyone in Perth had a look into the shops that supply caterers/chefs etc of large s/s pots and prices yet?

Cheers
Big D

Yep. I was in QCC also on Tuesday (notice a theme here? :) ) and priced SS pots there. Quite expensive. 50L SS pot for ~$330, which is a LOT more than Allquip have them online for (Robinox for around $180 I think?). However... not too sure if Allquip will ship a 70L pot to Perth. Could be a bitch to post...

BTW - QCC had alum pots 70L for around $145. No 70L SS pots available though when I went.

Yeh I am working at little creatures now. about 30 hours a week untill ive finished uni.

Kongs in Perth (chinese shop) have a massive range of SS pots for veyr good prices apperantly. they are very thin so wouldnt be good for a boiler but would make a good HLT or mash etc.

I dont have the link with me, im at uni right now. There is a place over east that has 50L Robniox pots for $160 plus postage. the 70L ones were about $200 i think.

Cheers, Ash

Congrats on getting the job at <small renowned WA brewery> Ash.
LC is the place I most regret not visiting on my one and only trip to WA a couple of years back. I plan to fix this problem at some point down the track..

Uber-insulated my mash tun today. Added an extra 2cm of layered bubble wrap, sealed it with tape (leaving some slack to allow it to expand when hot) and insulated the bottom of the tun with a couple of layers of stick on 3mm foam from clark rubber. The lid will be insulated with a thin layer of polystyrene, covered with a thin inert plastic layer.

This means I dont have to re-circ to keep the heat up if i dont want to, but just to step up to mash out and clarify.

This is on top of the 1cm foam insulation already on it.
Mash_Insulation_2a.JPG
Mash_Insulation_2b.JPG
Mash_Insulation_2c.JPG

Kettle_Mk2_1.JPG
my new kettle, 36L robinox

Mill_Mk2.JPG
I boguht a new drill for runnign my mill (and for drilling) 1010W.

Chiller_Mk2.JPG
Hooked up my new mashmaster chiller, giving it a run today. I am ruunning the water through my old CFC with ice water runnign through the other way to chill my tap water to 15-20.

Stand_Parts.JPG
And i am finally going to build my stand. $90 of metal and bits from bunnigns.

Looking good Ash and a belated congrats on the job at LC.

Didn't realise Bunnings sell Jack Russells.... :D (I couldn't resist)

thanks mate.

They are in the garden centre, usually diggin in pots and barking at customers or running off with anything they can fit in their mouth.

Back